The Immortal is a Walking Death Machine

In fact in MP games I always declare on Persia as soon as I meet them. I guess all experienced players will do this so you won't have a chance.

But, yes. If there exist just one inexperienced player, or a quitted player whose control being taken by AI, that bonus will work.

It's not immortals that are powerful, but the +2 movement is. Persia archers, horsemans and knights are actually stronger.

Persia is much stronger in Single player than in multiplayer- for that exact reason. People familiar with Persia's bonuses can pretty much negate the surprise war ability. However in Single player its very strong.

I tried playing as Persia and couldn’t get the immortals to melee attack? I only saw a range attack. What am I missing? The range also seemed pretty weak for all the hype in this thread.

That's why you need 6 or 7 of them. And make sure you're surprise attacking with the +2 movement.

Each individual unit has a weak attack but it SCALES with more units, like archers. However, unlike archers, they can't get two-shotted by anything in the classical era so you can put them in the front lines.

You have to click on the "move-to" button to move into a city.

If you walk around with like 2 or 3 immortals, it's like "meh." The unit only shows its strength with 6 or more.

Last edited:
I tried playing as Persia and couldn’t get the immortals to melee attack? I only saw a range attack. What am I missing? The range also seemed pretty weak for all the hype in this thread.
Their ranged attack is weak, yes. For balance I suspect.

To get the Immortals to melee attack you have to manually select it by clicking on the right hand side button on the screen--if you right click a target the Immortal will default ranged attack it.

no they changed it now so that they cannot melee since march 8 unfortunately ... feelsbadman

I really do not get playing with an OP civ SP currently. Sure the first time for fun but the 5th time?
If someone could make me a civ with 0 abilities/units I would be happy.

USCF >2200.
I bet my dad at the age of 4, I was scared because I though he would be pissed, he started dancing and singing instead. he got me to play one of his patients who was one of the best in the country and that's when he realized the problem was with him not me.

no they changed it now so that they cannot melee since march 8 unfortunately ... feelsbadman
I just ran a test and can confirm. It seems like this is an unintentional bug introduced with that patch, or possibly even the February pre-R&F patch, since it wasn't mentioned in either notes and the Immortal was specifically changed in the Fall 2017 update to behave counter to this (i.e. behaves primarily as a melee unit with a ranged attack ability). It also doesn't make sense if it was intentional since attacking via the move button rather than the range attack button is +5 strength difference even though the attack action is exactly the same. Not to mention that it's still described as a Melee unit. Kind of sucks since this was a crucial ability I gave to Missile Destroyers in my unit mod that granted ranged strikes, but still allowed capturing of cities.

I really do not get playing with an OP civ SP currently. Sure the first time for fun but the 5th time?
If someone could make me a civ with 0 abilities/units I would be happy.

England still too powerful for ya? :D

The best thing about England is that they're not Spain.

I heard that in order to make things fair, Englands warriors are having their clubs taken off them in the next patch. They are to be armed only with a deep sense of sarcasm and a stiff upper lip. Oh and slingers only get one stone each, they have to go and collect it after they have fired.

On topic though. Did the immortals need to be nerfed?

They are to be armed only with a deep sense of sarcasm and a stiff upper lip.
One cannot underestimate the power of a dowsing rod in well trained hands. With such instruments of great power we will manage.

On topic though. Did the immortals need to be nerfed?
Why? few UU's are useful, its nice to see one that is.
In SP does it matter, the choice of civ and style of play is up to the individual.
in MP it's not like they are banned all the time.

Yawn. And I can beat my 6 year old niece at chess.
Try your OMG OMG OMG strategy at Deity level against >25 other civs
on a ludicrous size (200x100) Terra map for impressive bragging rights. :)

How does more civs and big map have an impact on AI difficulty?

Why? few UU's are useful, its nice to see one that is.
In SP does it matter, the choice of civ and style of play is up to the individual.
in MP it's not like they are banned all the time.

I agree with everything you say. It's just that I suppose it's nice in theory to have the civs as close to parity as possible, whilst remaining distinct and characterful. Which is presumably why balance changes happen.

So I guess my question is, were the immortals THAT powerful. I would say that obviously they were (or were perceived to be) or else why the change?

However.....England kind of decimates this line of reasoning.

So maybe a more pertinent question should be, were the immortals generally regarded by the player base as over powered?

So maybe a more pertinent question should be, were the immortals generally regarded by the player base as over powered?
I can only speak for myself but the unit itself is not OP, the Persian war movement in combination does make it very strong because Archers normally have to be in the open to move and shoot. To me the Nubian archer is stronger as not only does it get 3 MP all the time but that +50% XP means you get to double shot very fast.

So if you consider what are deemed by many to be the strong units - Knights, Horsemen and Archers.... anything that buffs one of these units makes them fairly OP. So for example the eagle warrior is a great unit but the Aztec Knight with +16 from amenities is getting quite OP.
The Persian movement buffs all 3 strong units but more so an archer which also can take cities and stand in the open. So yes I would say in the context of Persia movement it is OP.

The problem with this change to Immortals is that it leaves Persia w/o a viable Melee unit from Iron Working until Gunpowder and essentially two ranged units, of which one is significantly better. It makes no sense that an Immortal can use the range attack button @25 strength or use the move button and gain a higher @30 strength even though they're both a ranged attack. It's also still classified as a Melee unit and belongs to that promotion class. If this was a purposeful change it's odd that it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes after the previous change was specifically mentioned.

Top Bottom