1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Last Rising Tide Sponsor

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Maximus_Light, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

That would be fun to play with, but I think the late game mostly needs AIs that are both willing to declare war and competent enough at it to be a threat.

It feels like at some point international relations should feel crucial, but most of the time the AI feels totally ignorable if they aren't building a victory.

2. Kaigen

Kaigen Warlord

Could make it something like the board game Archipelago, where the players have to cooperate to some extent to keep from losing everything to the third party, but contribution is voluntary, leading to horse-trading in terms of who contributes what and when. Though coding the AI for that could be tricky. Add in a multiplayer mode where one player is sometimes, but not always, contacted by the aliens and offered a deal to side with them as a hidden victory condition.

Come to think of it, this is an area where maybe Civ V's international projects mechanic didn't quite work. It was too easy (beneficial even) to do the whole thing yourself, so you didn't care if someone was slacking off. You didn't get situations like people giving the side-eye to Japan for only contributing money to UN peacekeeping efforts and never troops.

3. Maximus_Light

Maximus_Light Chieftain

That is exactly what I was thinking about, that said they are taking a very liberal outsider view of who would join together. Pakistan and India? That's honestly just as crazy is a lot of ways bu they still did it.

4. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

Oh, wow, I just watched that video; very interesting.

They said the same thing about Germany (INTEGR) and the Nordic countries (NSA) as they did with South Korea and Japan: not to lump them in with the existing factions on that fan map. They also mentioned not to include all of South America for Brasilia, which I'm sure many already assumed, but they didn't go too much into that one or emphasize it like the others.

I guess there is a really good chance we'll see a South Korea / Japan faction. Maybe they'll be the technocratic water faction focused on research and exploration, and could get some type of bonus to/from artifacts. For example, a science bonus for completing sets of artifacts, or maybe when "trading-in" artifacts the bonus received is a quality level higher than it actually is (existing pristine artifacts would get an even higher bonus).

5. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

If they do include Korea, I hope they remove the Korean names from PAC cities and replace them with city names that actually would be in the Cooperative, such as Thai or Cambodian.

I mean Daoming herself is half Cambodian.

6. winddysphere

winddysphere Warlord

Is it just me think that the next faction could be either somewhere near Thailand or could be Singapore?? Singapore could try to annex some countries with money or just some countries around there join together so that they can unite as one to fight other faction like PAC? Thailand has some water cultures like a river market and mixing with Singapore (former port country) and Indonesia (I don't know about Laos/Malaysia/Myanmar to be honest). So I think that it could be a chance that is not Carribean or Japan because Firaxis usually makes a plot twist for anyone. Who knows if they decide to put Japan in the further expansion so that some people will get crazy and say OMG JAAAAAAAAAAPAN GO TO SPACESSSSS! (I also think that Japan could be more high tech country,not sea professional at all compare to other sea skilled like GBR which has ships and use them like a rocket launcher.)

7. vahouth

vahouth Prince

Something tells me that those who think Japan/Korea is a thing, will be displeased. :)

8. Josephias

Josephias King

Well, first to say I favour the priate faction! arr!. I think it will get more balanced for a North-South perspective, even at the cost of losing Japan.

As for the lore, why not go by actual (or at least as they told us) pirate-forming history? I would make pirate faction a discontent bunch inside de OSAS (Brasilia) that take one of their ships (they have several, vs the NSA that has only one) by mutiny.

This provides a war-trained leader, does not label any part of the world as being a pirate haven (altough it would imply it in some way). It explains how the seeding ship was achieved - and probably redirected to avoid Brazilia following them (to planetfall in the same world the own Rejinaldo is going, well... happens! - I also not see how Lena Ebner would choose the same world as Elodie: if not by mistake, it just means both Lena and this new faction do it consciously to piss off their nemesis :p)

Back to pirates, they would be, of course, part of the marine branch in Brazilia's army and in the time from the mutiny to planetfall (what would mean they did the last part of the trip awake, they could modify their equipment to allow for cool things as sea landing). Their philosophy, similar from pirates will deviate to the orderly/disciplined "we are the leaders of the world" speech from Rejinaldo, to a more "let's live free and take the most of the new planet, arr!" - so they would improve their specialiation o exploration, artifact finding (extra explorer modules?) and pillaging (alien nest benefits increased) - this faction is willing to take risks in the new planet, instead of following a more cautious approach of a well-established faction. It could even have a bonus in some way similar to what Spain has in Civ 5, that becomes bigger as you focus on exploring the planet.

I'd save that for a second (or third) expansion. (i.e. Beyond Earth: Early Contact). If done, I would like to have several alien types and factions introduced (i.e. 3 new alien races making for 6-9 factions), in a way you could a "balanced" scenario were i.e. for 8 players, you have 2 factions for each alien race - including terran) fighting for the planet. (You should then as well change contact victory, and probably add instead some diplomatic victory consisting instead on basing the grounds for a Galactic Federation. (Having 3 alien races would also be interesting to push each of them towards one of the affinity types - with Purity being their Purity, not the human one, of course ;) ).

9. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Hope so. I know many Koreans who'd be pissed off if the closest thing they have to representation is being fused with Japan.

Like with a capital P.

10. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

That's why I don't think it will happen. They've shown an interest in chasing Korean sales before, and having a Japan-Korea sponsor would be seen in a very negative light there.

11. Maximus_Light

Maximus_Light Chieftain

Honestly, even though I've put the idea forward I hope they don't go that direction as well, I'd be glad if they did something else!

Especially considering the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII happening literally today.
    Seriously, I get it would be an amazing powerful combination that makes sense gameplay wise but if Firaxis thinks sticking them together is going to fly with Koreans, I think they should be prepared for a lot of angry people.

12. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

But then these are the same people who put the Middle East under one roof, as well as India/Pakistan, Russia/Poland and China/Vietnam.

Obviously if they do it, they're going to put it under a really ambiguous sounding name so it won't be implied that one conquered the other.

13. vahouth

vahouth Prince

So what's most probable considering their history?
    A Greece/Turkey faction or a Japan/Korea one?

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

Man that's tough one, both hate each-other so much.
    but if it is a water based faction than i would say Japan-Korea.
    Greece and Turkey are both very mountainous.
    and both seem likely to attack the other for what little land there is

15. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Between NSA, FI, INTEGR and SF I think we have enough European factions to last us well into the end of the game's development cycle.

16. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

What about an Antarctica sponsor with a bonus to exploration?

17. vahouth

vahouth Prince

I don't know man. Yes they are pretty mountainous but you wouldn't call them Switzerland. ;) Besides almost half of Greece is lots and lots of islands and a naval theme could work in the eastern Mediterranean Sea IMHO. A new "Byzantium" per se comes to mind. How solid this could be or if it's preferable than JapanKorea though, I do not know. :)

18. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

That might be a bit much for Rising Tide. Since one of the themes of the expansion seems to be peoples reclaiming their homelands and then committing to a colonial effort.

For that reason I don't think an Antarctic Sponsor would be likely. If the next expansion were to explore more corporate, NGO, science/exploration initiatives and the like, I could see them being more likely.

19. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

I would be enormously surprised if the last last sponsor wasn't based on Japan. In or excluding any form of Korea.

INTEGR seems to be completely German speaking (it maybe be including Austria and the German part of Switzerland, but that is still unclear) if at least it's city names are an indication. Didn't see any Hungarian, Czech or Dutch (for that matter) names for those cities. All city names we've seen are German.
    So if INTEGR is sole German, so why can't the last sponsor be only Japanese based, I guess it should be possible. Japan has a history of closing it's borders to keep aliens (no pun intended) out, so it could have done that too again in this future to try from being absorbed into the PAC.
    Or maybe Firaxis surprises us with a Japan/Taiwan/Philippines "NorthWest Pacific Federation" ;).

20. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Mmm. Rising sealevels, and a likely shift of climate belts combined with refugee allocation due to the Great Mistake? Let's introduce the Tierra del Fuego Conféderàtion or the Aleutian Assembly here. At the time of the Seeding they're still a fleging nation, but want to copy the big guys (and gals) once their house is in order and sent out a colony ship of their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.