The Last Rising Tide Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know man. Yes they are pretty mountainous but you wouldn't call them Switzerland. Besides almost half of Greece is lots and lots of islands and a naval theme could work in the eastern Mediterranean Sea
i cant believe i forgot about the Islands, you're right though it isn't Switzerland or Tibet but they would probably be more intact than the rest of Europe.

i think just Japan is probable or Caribbean/central american Sponsor both are likely
off topic: is Alaska covered by any sponsors?

i cant believe i forgot about the Islands, you're right though it isn't Switzerland or Tibet but they would probably be more intact than the rest of Europe.

i think just Japan is probable or Caribbean/central american Sponsor both are likely
off topic: is Alaska covered by any sponsors?

The state of Alaska is unknown as far as I know. We don't know if it's still a apart of the United States or if it separated for some reason. I'm also curious if my homeland, Hawaii, is still part of the US or became part of the Commomwealth of the Pacific.

I'm also curious if my homeland, Hawaii, is still part of the US or became part of the Commomwealth of the Pacific.
maybe its become an independant floating chain of island sized cities
our next sponsor?
Stay Tuned for more TALES OF INTEREST.

Have you seen my sponsor proposal of the Wayfinder Initiative
yes i have, and it is possible that they do a Hawaii-Polynesia civ since it is going to be an Aquatic focused civ.

INTEGR seems to be completely German speaking (it maybe be including Austria and the German part of Switzerland, but that is still unclear) if at least it's city names are an indication. Didn't see any Hungarian, Czech or Dutch (for that matter) names for those cities. All city names we've seen are German.

I think we need to see some more city names but you're probably right. (The Rhine basin has a lot of Dutch and Flemish speakers I would be very surprised if they weren't represented at all). Now that I think about it where ARE the Dutch city names? I mean they didn't just disappear even if they've been relocated. I'd imagine that the way they are sticking people together both the NSA and INTEGR should have some dutch names.

Or maybe Firaxis surprises us with a Japan/Taiwan/Philippines "NorthWest Pacific Federation" ;).

I actually like that idea but I'm afraid it's the same situation, Taiwan is Chinese basically and the Philippines have also suffered under the Japanese in the past.

Really, Isolationist Japan makes the most political sense but it's not practical in anyway to say they have the resources for something like a colony ship on their own, I mean resources was one of the main factors for their previous aggression in the first place.

yes i have, and it is possible that they do a Hawaii-Polynesia civ since it is going to be an Aquatic focused civ.

It has total overlap with the Commonwealth, but I explained that away. I think it would be very likely the pacific islands would switch to naval cities given the circumstances. I may try to make the Sponsor... Maybe.

I think that a Meso-American/Caribbean sponsor would be more likely. Given the sponsor distribution of Sponsors, one from that region would be a nice change of pace.

I think that a Meso-American/Caribbean sponsor would be more likely. Given the sponsor distribution of Sponsors, one from that region would be a nice change of pace.

it would make plenty of sense given the Caribbean is another collection of islands that in-order to survive would need to move into the "new" Mexican sea.

who knows maybe Firaxes will be clever and throw in someone unlikely.

The last civ revealed in G&K was Sweden, which has an unusual play style (and the reaction from the fandom who was hoping for Zulus was priceless). The last civ revealed from BNW was Venice, which has an unusual play style.

I wonder if they are going to continue that marketing trend, and if so, how bonkers and off-the-wall would such a sponsor be in BERT?

Now that I think about it where ARE the Dutch city names? I mean they didn't just disappear even if they've been relocated. I'd imagine that the way they are sticking people together both the NSA and INTEGR should have some dutch names.

I actually like that idea but I'm afraid it's the same situation, Taiwan is Chinese basically and the Philippines have also suffered under the Japanese in the past.

Really, Isolationist Japan makes the most political sense but it's not practical in anyway to say they have the resources for something like a colony ship on their own, I mean resources was one of the main factors for their previous aggression in the first place.

Maybe we were relocated into space as test-subjects for the ships :lol:. Though seriously with almost 25 million dutch language speakers from the Netherlands and Flanders nowadays I seriously doubt we dissipated into thin air. So logically I think the population fleeing to INTEGR, NSA and even Franco-Iberian territories seems logical. But maybe our descendants integrated into those populations over time. who knows?
So far the only indication of anything Dutch was the mention of Amsterdam in the NSA description. And to be honest I hope we're with them. Same WW2 history as the asian countries have with Japan I guess, though I don't think we have that much deeprooted dislike for Germany anymore. But we're just very Anglo-American orientated nowadays and I don't see that change in the immediate future.

I think maybe because so far most "new" nation-sponsors are some sort of clusters of multiple nowadays nations together, we try to do the same with a sponsor that includes Japan. And it's logical to want to cluster it with other "democracies" in its neighborhood like the Rep of Korea (or Taiwan and the Philippines for that matter) as the rest of SE Asia seems the be divided between the PAC and Polystralia. And since we've seen combinations so far that are very unlikely nowadays, like a Polish-Russian combo or a Vietnam-China or even an Indonesia-Australia one I don't think a Japan-Korea combo is that far fetched to think about 500 years into the future. Maybe in this made up future the PAC was forcefully expanding into it's neighbors and the only way to stay out of it was for Rep of Korea to band up with Japan in say 200 years from now, who knows. But if they are wise since this particular combo is highly sensitive maybe it's better to let Japan be an isolationist country that survived by exploring it's surrounding seas for new resources. And with these new technologies they bring an advantage for exploring the Seas surrounding their newfound colony on this planet ;).

Regarding the suggestion that KP is a blend of India-Pakistan and thus is "equally offensive" (to the extent you can measure these things) as a Japan-Korea, does anyone know if the KP city names contain a blend of both India and Pakistan (or other countries')-type names? (Hindi/Urdu, or whatever)?

For better or for worse they are driven by the consumers. If KP is indeed a mix of India and Pakistan that would be somewhat surprising as I imagine they have many India/Pakistan consumers (maybe I'm wrong), and as far as blending Eastern Europe and Russia, maybe they figured they don't have enough Eastern European non-Russians who care enough. (Russians, on the other hand, I presume don't care because many consider EE to be a part of Russia ethnically/culturally, from what I understand)

Maybe we were relocated into space as test-subjects for the ships :lol:. Though seriously with almost 25 million dutch language speakers from the Netherlands and Flanders nowadays I seriously doubt we dissipated into thin air. So logically I think the population fleeing to INTEGR, NSA and even Franco-Iberian territories seems logical. But maybe our descendants integrated into those populations over time. who knows?

The Dutch go where no one has ever gone before! lol

Same WW2 history as the asian countries have with Japan I guess, though I don't think we have that much deeprooted dislike for Germany anymore.

No, most people I've met don't with Germany, which makes me glad because most of my grandparents and mother are from Germany. I think it's just sadly a different situation for Japan and Korea but when I look at it I wish both sides could reconcile like Germany and the other European nations.

There are, frankly a lot of ways they could handle Korean-Japanese politics in the future, I just hope they are sensitive enough to do it well.

Since one of the new biomes is a frozen world, perhaps a sponsor optimized for life in such an environment would be a possibility. One idea comes to mind: a Canadian-Alaskan effort, capitalizing on the exploitation of what remaining natural resources in the polar region as have not yet been exhausted by the time of the off-earth migration. Ethnically, such a sponsor might have a distinct native flavor, possibly referred to as "Athabascan" or "Inuit."

The last civ revealed in G&K was Sweden, which has an unusual play style

Sweden is the EXCRUCIATINGLY close second on my list of favorites [first being the Inca]but Honestly i cant decide.

Unusual play styles add alot to the game but what in BE qualifies as unusual?
what bonus could make them so much more "Unique" compared to other factions?

Since one of the new biomes is a frozen world, perhaps a sponsor optimized for life in such an environment would be a possibility. One idea comes to mind: a Canadian-Alaskan effort, capitalizing on the exploitation of what remaining natural resources in the polar region as have not yet been exhausted by the time of the off-earth migration. Ethnically, such a sponsor might have a distinct native flavor,
interesting, i would love to see Alaska incorporated into BE

Regarding the suggestion that KP is a blend of India-Pakistan and thus is "equally offensive" (to the extent you can measure these things) as a Japan-Korea, does anyone know if the KP city names contain a blend of both India and Pakistan (or other countries')-type names? (Hindi/Urdu, or whatever)?

For better or for worse they are driven by the consumers. If KP is indeed a mix of India and Pakistan that would be somewhat surprising as I imagine they have many India/Pakistan consumers (maybe I'm wrong), and as far as blending Eastern Europe and Russia, maybe they figured they don't have enough Eastern European non-Russians who care enough. (Russians, on the other hand, I presume don't care because many consider EE to be a part of Russia ethnically/culturally, from what I understand)

Since Hindi and Urdu started out as one language but were only separated due to different writing systems and the religion of the speakers (simplified) I doubt there is much difference to find in the city names. Maybe some city names are based on one of the other many languages spoken in that neighborhood I don't know cause I can't speak any of them :). And as far as customers, I think it is still a developing region and the amount of players for these kind of games isn't that high. You rarely see anyone from that region on any of the gaming forums anyway either.

Russians have a close historic, religious and cultural connection with the other East Slavs like the Belarus and the Ukrainians. Religiously and somewhat culturally they have connections with the South Slavic Serbs and Bulgarians. Romanians/Moldovans share the same religion but are ethnically and linguistically (like there name already suggests) a Roman people.
The West Slavic people like the Poles, Czech and Slovak are Catholic and except for being occupied by the Russian Empire (Poland) for some time, have a much lesser connection with the Russians (please someone from there correct me if I'm wrong). The Hungarians are Catholic and are ethnically and Linguistically close related to the Fins and Estonians and historically more connected with the Austrians to the west then the Russians to the east. The Baltic people (Latvians and Lithuanians) aren't Slavic either and neither are the Estonians but were after the collapse of the huge Lithuanian-Polish empire always a battleground and were for most of there history incorporated into the Russian Empire or its successors. with only short stints of independence before they became fully independent after the collapse of the Soviet Union. So they have a long historic relation with them at least and there are still a few million Native-Russians living within their borders.
And from this East and Middle European Region there are a lot of people who play these games as you can notice in all kind of gaming forums. Most games have at least a Russian version and a lot have a Polish one too like Civ5 and Civ BE!

But that still didn't stop Firaxis to combine the Poles and Russians for example into one Sponsor. So maybe they underestimated the upheaval it would give with the players in a lot of countries, even though it is in a a far away fictive future. And from what I've seen they are a lot more cautious with the new sponsors and cluster countries together that don't mind being together like in the NSA or at least tell that it took a lot of effort to combine them (like in the Al Falah middle eastern backstory). INTEGR seems to be a sole German Sponsor so maybe Japan (if it's the last Sponsor) will be too.
Probably would have been better to not make "new" countries sponsors but just people with the same ideology like in SMAC, but maybe that conflicted to much with the new Affinity system, I don't know.

They haven't really shown us the game setup options. I wonder if there are new options like Diplomat colonists (+1 DC per city or so) or things like that.

Yeah, that would be a great idea!

They already tacked on a good amount of diplomatic currency onto some early buildings (also, ones that you normally build all the time), so they want you to start accumulating a decent amount fast for deals. Getting an extra +1 or +2 per city probably wouldn't be game-breaking, though, we'll have to wait and see.

I think there should be a new colonist option that relates to water gameplay, like "navigators" that give bonus to moving water cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom