The Last Rising Tide Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since at least 2 of sponsors start at sea, maybe there is also an option to have an early naval unit like there is the option to start with a soldier. Maybe even an option to start at sea for the others.

Since at least 2 of sponsors start at sea, maybe there is also an option to have an early naval unit like there is the option to start with a soldier. Maybe even an option to start at sea for the others.

I'm assuming the game will just be coded to grant you a type depending on where your capital lands. So on land or even coast, you'll get the standard soldier, but if you land in the water you get a patrol boat.

The option to start at sea would be cool, but it would be a little problematic with factions already starting out at sea, since it can't be an added benefit or anything, it's simply a boolean.

Personally, I like to randomize my colonists, spacecraft, and cargo options instead of min/maxing them and it would really suck to get any kind of "start at sea" option with the NSA or Ja-- I mean, the last mystery sponsor. Also, there are going to be heavy oceanic map types which force everybody to start at sea.

I'm assuming the game will just be coded to grant you a type depending on where your capital lands. So on land or even coast, you'll get the standard soldier, but if you land in the water you get a patrol boat.

This doesn't need to be the case, because even if one starts at sea some might want an embarked soldier instead of a patrol boat. An embarked soldier can still be used to explore the lands, while a patrol boat cannot. (Well I don't know if embarkation at sea is still in a technology as 2 new sponsors start immediatly in the sea.)

The option to start at sea would be cool, but it would be a little problematic with factions already starting out at sea, since it can't be an added benefit or anything, it's simply a boolean.

You are right about this. But for the sponsors starting at sea the opposite option could be given. The only problem would then be if you start with a random sponsor and you don't know if you want the opposite starting place (land <->sea). But it also has another downside: such option decreases the uniqueness of the sea-based UA's.

I know that Korean-Japan EVER working together again completely ignores the last 100 hundred years but considering Firaxis put Pakistan and India back together it seems like something they would do
I'd say Russia-Poland-Ukraine is even less likely)

Yes, yes... Korea-Japan, India-Pakistan, Russia-Poland ... they are all recent cases - but not the only ones.

Tell an Argentinian what he thinks of being part of a Brazil-Controlled faction. Or a Spanish about being part of a faction that is clearly French... I assure you they don't like it either.

Remember that Vietnam has about 1000 years of bad relations with China but accepted their help against the US and now trades with the US and gives China a cold shoulder.

Has it been confirmed that last sponsor is another sea sponsor?

Remember that Vietnam has about 1000 years of bad relations with China but accepted their help against the US and now trades with the US and gives China a cold shoulder.

That's because China invaded Vietnam after the Vietnam war for invading its ally Cambodia, which was led by Pol Pot at the time. But now, the suspicion still remains thanks to China's assertion into South China Sea.

Given that the backstory is set a few centuries forward, Firaxis won't place much emphasis on what would now be "past" diplomatic history.

Has it been confirmed that last sponsor is another sea sponsor?

Firaxis confirmed that 2 of the new sponsors would be "normal" and that 2 would be "aquatic". Seeing as Al Falah and INTEGR are terrestrial and the NSA is aquatic, that would leave the 4th to be another aquatic just as they promised.

Firaxis assured that there would be an option that make all sponsors make planetfall at sea. I'm sure you would be aware of this going in an plan accordingly (unless its affected by random options)

It may be a bit problematic for some more than others, such is the nature of diversity and niche. Kavitha might loose out a bit with culture not expanding borders, but she still gets reduced tile cost via energy.All the other sponsors who's new bonuses we've seen so far appear to be relatively neutral.

I would like to see a faction not associated with any region on Earth.

Something like International Corporation of Science and Technology would sound really interesting to me.

Backstory would be something like after Great Mistake a group of surviving scientists people gathered together to maintain scientific progress (I can only imagine a disaster would gut progress pretty much). Besides that they contributed on helping refugees and just everyone who needed. Loyal to their ideals they value knowledge over anything else they educate their people to build better tomorrow. As new planet was found, they sensed possibility for both great scientific breaktroughs and a better tomorrow for people, and sent a group to new planet.

Leader could be young man (since we now have 2 female sponsors revealed and only one male and we also don't have young male leader, most of male leaders seem to be middle aged) who maybe isn't very much a natural leader and responsibility for his people would weigh him. I think a bit conflicted personality would be a good addition to current leaders of the game. He would be rational mind, as it fits theme of the faction, yet not totally confident over himself. Maybe he would be close to previous leader, and selected by him/her as his/her follower, but due this previous leaders death end up on responsibility a bit too early.

In reality, Japan seems likely.

Firaxis confirmed that 2 of the new sponsors would be "normal" and that 2 would be "aquatic". Seeing as Al Falah and INTEGR are terrestrial and the NSA is aquatic, that would leave the 4th to be another aquatic just as they promised.

I see. Thanks. :)

In that case, like the others, I also predict a Japanese sponsor, preferably in the form of a private corporation like ARC, led by a male leader (got 5 male, 6 female so far, with some speculating that Lena is transgender, don't know why). Other possibilities are an Antarctic sea sponsor too.

Predicted UAs:
- explorers investigate pods and you can choose what you find, like Shoshone pathfinder. They also have +1 sight. Doubled work speed for expeditions.
- explorers can build archaeological landmarks, like in civ 5. Abandoned settlements provide about +6 culture while prog ruins provide +6 science (they also provide a small XP boost to chosen affinity) and the tiles can be worked so long as a city is within range. They cost 1 energy to maintain.
- Can choose what artifact crafting upgrade you get (appears to be randomized initially, I think). Doubled bonuses from cashing in artifacts from science, production and culture, etc.
- bonus +1 food, culture and science from sea resources (just like Japan civ UA).

I honestly think next sponsor is all about exploring and getting those expeditions to maximize your potential. So far there is no sponsor that is specialized in expeditions.

I see. Thanks. :)

In that case, like the others, I also predict a Japanese sponsor, preferably in the form of a private corporation like ARC, led by a male leader (got 5 male, 6 female so far, with some speculating that Lena is transgender, don't know why). Other possibilities are an Antarctic sea sponsor too.

Predicted UAs:
- explorers investigate pods and you can choose what you find, like Shoshone pathfinder. They also have +1 sight. Doubled work speed for expeditions.
- explorers can build archaeological landmarks, like in civ 5. Abandoned settlements provide about +6 culture while prog ruins provide +6 science (they also provide a small XP boost to chosen affinity) and the tiles can be worked so long as a city is within range. They cost 1 energy to maintain.
- Can choose what artifact crafting upgrade you get (appears to be randomized initially, I think). Doubled bonuses from cashing in artifacts from science, production and culture, etc.
- bonus +1 food, culture and science from sea resources (just like Japan civ UA).

I honestly think next sponsor is all about exploring and getting those expeditions to maximize your potential. So far there is no sponsor that is specialized in expeditions.
I'd love an exploration/expedition based sponsor. But that doesn't seem especially relevant to a naval sponsor, at least no more than a normal one.

I'd guess something water based, though I'm not sure what. I doubt they would leave a super boring UA for last, so I'd bet it's at least something interesting.

I still think a Japanese sponsor would be a bit odd since we already have an asian sponsor. Of course, we got multiple European sponsors, so there is precedent. I think a Caribbean sponsor would give the list of sponsors more variety and diversity.

Perhaps, but I'm still pretty certain that's who it is. Simply because they practically told us who the new civs would be at Firaxicon last year. And so far, they've kept to the ones mentioned.

I still think a Japanese sponsor would be a bit odd since we already have an asian sponsor. Of course, we got multiple European sponsors, so there is precedent.

A huge precedent. We currently have 4 European sponsors, and the devs flat-out said Japan is not a member of PAC.

A huge precedent. We currently have 4 European sponsors, and the devs flat-out said Japan is not a member of PAC.

Not to nitpick, but there are only 3 European civs by my count (Franco-Iberia, INTGR and NSA).

And the last sponsor may very well be Japan since it is not a member of PAC. My original point is simply that I think a non-asian sponsor would be more interesting than adding a second Asian one.

Not to nitpick, but there are only 3 European civs by my count (Franco-Iberia, INTGR and NSA).

And the last sponsor may very well be Japan since it is not a member of PAC. My original point is simply that I think a non-asian sponsor would be more interesting than adding a second Asian one.

Nah, Slavic Federation is not European at all... :crazyeye:

You forgot Slavic Federation, which is clearly European since it includes Poland and other Eastern European states.

Unless those suddenly aren't "European" enough for you.

Also it seems like you're prejudiced against Asians. What is it about them that you find so uninteresting?

How about trading one of the 4 Euro factions for a non-Euro faction?

Did that ever even cross your mind?

You mean a 4th/6th Asian one

definitely Asian factions
PAC
Kavitha
Al falah (possibly including some of North Africa like FI)

partially Asian factions
Polystralia
Slavic Federation

A Carribean one would be a 3rd American sponsor (ARC+Brasilia)

I wish they had gone for more 'nonterritorial' sponsors early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom