The Mighty Spanish

mchorlton

Chieftain
Every times i play and the spanish are in the game they always, always, ALWAYS become the most powerful civ who cannot be defeted no matter how many tanks, stealth fighters/bombers, nukes etc. you send at them.

Has anyone else ever noticed this?

Yes the Spanish can be vexing, but for my playing style I have a greater challenge with the Vikings & most of all with the Americans. My solution has been to play the Americans much more frequently than the other choices.

I find the Spanish can be annoying but in the end they can still be beaten if you are playing on a suitable difficulty level...

I always find the dark blue civs to be the most annoying neighbors. The yellow less so because I like to play yellow.

Mongols are the worst for me, with their empire of size 3 cities all with barracks. Try playing as yellow, you'll be back here complaining about the greeks :p

Who's tough depends on your playing style. I have trouble with the Carthaginians and othe aggressive militaristic tribes, because I hate early war.

I usually play at the diety level in MGE, and the mongols are my worst pick. they are always nasty and very aggressive. But the one I hate the most is the greeks. they can have 1 city with one warrior facing hordes of crusaders and they will still threaten you with war and demand tribute, just before you ride them down into oblivion. :beer:

Just finished my first game on Diety level (Civ II - TOT) and had a particularly hard time with the double crossing French. Louis XIV has a penchant for back-handed diplomacy. For example: after starting a war with another Civ, and asking for assistance from me, he then, IN THE SAME TURN, allied with the same Civ against me before I ever fired a shot.

For the experts, is war always so costly on the higher levels...or am I doing something wrong? And, is it possible to rule the entire world before the 2020 end-game deadline?

I never have trouble with the Spanish, nor any other civ.

"For the experts, is war always so costly on the higher levels...or am I doing something wrong? And, is it possible to rule the entire world before the 2020 end-game deadline?"

No, it need not be costly at all. There are lots of threads about outlining how to fight a good blitzkrieg/one turn war of annihilation.
It is more than possible to rule the whole world b4 the end of the game; it is common, depending on your strategy.

I tend to find that the russians are by far the greatest threat. I never have had any trouble with the spanish.

Originally posted by Kev's Evil Twin
Just finished my first game on Diety level (Civ II - TOT) and had a particularly hard time with the double crossing French. Louis XIV has a penchant for back-handed diplomacy. For example: after starting a war with another Civ, and asking for assistance from me, he then, IN THE SAME TURN, allied with the same Civ against me before I ever fired a shot.

For the experts, is war always so costly on the higher levels...or am I doing something wrong? And, is it possible to rule the entire world before the 2020 end-game deadline?

Hey, nice name! I had no idea that I had an evil twin.

Though I've never played the TOT series, I've had many a strange diplomatic situation in Civ. The worst is that while in a cease fire the AI seems to have no trouble asking you to leave their territory, but they can load 5 units into your city's radius and you are not given the option to force them to leave. You either have to bribe them into peace, try to attack preemptively, or wait for them to "sneak attack". Of course, this is true in republic and democracy - so you could revolt or change governments as well.

For war in general, I find that the best way to "be prepared" is to have superior technology. Having alpine troops, riflemen, and later even tanks and mech infantry defending your cities against early-aged troops is a great benefit (hence, as well, the value of Leo's). The same holds true for your offensive units, and attacking with cavalry against pre-gunpowder units or muskets will give you a major advantage.

Of course, the trick is to get yourself ahead and keep it that way. That's a whole 'nother GROUP of threads! :)

As far as the Spanish. I find that the yellow civ is always my competition for the Pyramids for some reason. In Deity, I'm more apt to give up the Pyramids for the Colossus and Hanging Gardens. The yellow civ then ends up being the one that grows much quicker than the rest and thereby a bit more difficult than some. I do hate the early warmongers as well - forcing me to spend time, funds, and production when I should be concentrating on technology and trade.

The various colors seem to have their own "personalities" if you will, but they're still AI and ultimately consistently beatable.

To crush your enemy, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women....

Crush them all. Trust no one. Verify nothing. Human vs. the world (except OCC). The most important thing for me personally is not backstabbing and diplomacy.... they all do that, and there should be no whining. In fact, I always play with a Spotless record. But the leadership traits will affect the way a Civ expands and what they are likely to research, so if you are tring to control the world in in the Trade through RR timeframe, it is helpful to quote yet another trite phrase.... Know your enemy, Know yourself -- Sun Tzu (the ancient leader not the fearless Civ 2 poster).

In summary, an AI toughenss is largel a function of starting terrain and the leadership setting in the Rules.txt.

Russians and Mongols are tough on me, though, LOL...

Come on, Simon. I realize you're a very talented player, but surely some tribe gives you at least some trouble. Every strategy has a weakness, and I'm sure your's do to, somewhere. Sure, no specific tribe is an absolute nightmare for me, either, but aggressive militaristics give a little more trouble.

I find that the white civ tends to be a little more aggressive than the others, certainly with regard to settlement. I appreciate that the AI is going to cheat now and again, but I remember one game when I uncovered the rest of the world map with the Apollo Program and found that the Celts had basically settled in a straight line towards me. Having played the game a lot, I knew the order of their cities, and their earliest just made a beeline for my civ despite the fact that they started miles away up the continent. Fortunately my explorers discovered them after they'd built 6 or so and I managed to block their advance with some tactical fortification on mountains followed by a fortress but it took me ages to work around to crushing all their cities.

and found that the Celts had basically settled in a straight line towards me.

Now that is funny!.... the "stalker" civ!

The whites give me the most trouble, overall. Esp. those conniving Russians. The biggest, dirtiest nuking games I've ever had as been againt the Russians and the Celts (different games).

I wonder if I could nuke my way to a negative GOTM score :lol:....

Originally posted by MajorGeneral2
Come on, Simon. I realize you're a very talented player, but surely some tribe gives you at least some trouble. Every strategy has a weakness, and I'm sure your's do to, somewhere. Sure, no specific tribe is an absolute nightmare for me, either, but aggressive militaristics give a little more trouble.

Thank you for your kind compliment.

I reiterate: no specific tribes give me trouble, nor does the AI in general.

My strategy is by no means a unique one: expansion, emphasis on trade, and thus science, a power democracy, and overwhelming airpower. Once I fine-tuned it, I've had no problems on any level. Aggressive militaristics are annoying gnats in that they insist on constant futile attacks on my forces, but no real trouble.
If there is a weakness, it is not one I have encountered, unless you count not producing fanatics as a weakness. :lol:

Top Bottom