[C3C] The Nine Conquests

So the Enkidu rush works quite well, even on Deity. But the question is: is it really worth the despotic GA with only a few small and unimproved towns?

I didn't have 3 ten shield cities immediately when I declared. But, a few turns into the golden age I did. I think my capital immediately got to 10 shields. No one learned mining, and one of the issues with a despotic golden age lies in that mining bonus grassland isn't efficient, though later it becomes efficient. If mining isn't available, or one more roads and irrigates, a despotic golden age could be better than what perhaps myself and others tend to think.

It looked like I was soon drowning in unit support. No military police in what I did. But, I might have combined a rush against Babylon, combined with getting infrastructure up (granaries/barracks built in fewer turns though a bit later). The hardest part, I think, would be to get to a second AI after crushing Babylon before they learn Bronze Working or at about the same time. I retired and Medes seemed to grow fast. I also ruined my reputation with a temporary peace treaty from Babylon.

I had 700 some victory points I think.

If there was wonder access that early (I don't think such is possible), snagging an early one might work.

For the optimum, with enough runs and get super lucky with barbarian promotions, fighting some Babylonian unit, and then getting a leader in 3 battles, maybe?

Still, a bit different to have the potential to know what the map is like before a run than for HoF competitions or XOTM competitions.

So desert is just as useful as plains here

Oh. Duh.

Fastest finish in the Conquests, and by-civilization... now that's a section of the Civ III HOF that doesn't exist but could have been quite interesting, especially if started back in the heyday of the game.

On another start I lost an enkidu warrior to a barbarian. I thought I had seen that 'preserved random seed' isn't checked for the Mesopotamia scenario. I had saved before, so I reloaded and fought it again and won. Then I doubted that. So, I reloaded and this time I lost. So, I'm very sure that 'preserved random seed' isn't checked.

The optimal war strategy clearly thus involves reloading until you get a leader in three attacks (or two if you have several of time). Several more times of reloading also, since leaders can rush infrastructure which aren't great wonders like normal.

Maybe I've missed something about such a competition being interesting. Such a competition definitely could be more about persistence to reload and play battles again. Even though some HoF games rely on map rerolling, reloading for leaders isn't something that happens there. I think Drazek understood the HoF concept best when he suggested that it's about playing the best possible map with the best possible strategy. Reloading the same battle over and over again, sounds different than making the best possible bet/probabilistic behavior doesn't it?

I do think that not having 'preserve random seed' checked was a good call by the game designers. It can be more fun to reload a battle sometimes. And it's a simple matter to not reload if doing that is not fun, or do such only in rare instances. But, still different than any competitive play substantially.

When I started this scenario, I was under the (false) impression that building a few wonders is the way to win this.

You didn't have a false impression completely. I'm guessing you thought that hand-building them would be useful. That part of your impression I'm guessing was not correct. But, for some levels SGL rushing them would be part of optimal strategy. Possibly even Sid, since they don't have extra settlers and workers, though tech cost still would be high due to the cost factor affecting tech cost.

I've played Byzantium in Middle Ages, and I remember the Abbasid's invisible unit being a big pain. Maybe I just didn't realize how to counter them effectively, but they wouldn't be my top choice in the scenario for that reason.

Conversely, if I were to play on Deity, I'd definitely consider the Abbasids, as IMO they have arguably the strongest start. In a corner, so a lot of the border is secure, and a lot of territory. Moving relics for 10,000 VP isn't necessarily easy at lower levels, though doable if you focus on it, but making a successful landing on Deity sounds much more challenging, thus making England/France/HRE/etc. less appealing, though you could still win with them without moving a relic to Jerusalem. But at least for me, no one would be "too easy" on Deity. Except maybe Japan in WWII - Pacific, as that's the one scenario/civilization I've managed to win on Sid.

On another start I lost an enkidu warrior to a barbarian. I thought I had seen that 'preserved random seed' isn't checked for the Mesopotamia scenario. I had saved before, so I reloaded and fought it again and won. Then I doubted that. So, I reloaded and this time I lost. So, I'm very sure that 'preserved random seed' isn't checked.

The optimal war strategy clearly thus involves reloading until you get a leader in three attacks (or two if you have several of time). Several more times of reloading also, since leaders can rush infrastructure which aren't great wonders like normal.

Maybe I've missed something about such a competition being interesting. Such a competition definitely could be more about persistence to reload and play battles again. Even though some HoF games rely on map rerolling, reloading for leaders isn't something that happens there. I think Drazek understood the HoF concept best when he suggested that it's about playing the best possible map with the best possible strategy. Reloading the same battle over and over again, sounds different than making the best possible bet/probabilistic behavior doesn't it?

I do think that not having 'preserve random seed' checked was a good call by the game designers. It can be more fun to reload a battle sometimes. And it's a simple matter to not reload if doing that is not fun, or do such only in rare instances. But, still different than any competitive play substantially.

Yeah, I hadn't really thought through being able to start as many times as you please, versus not being able to replay a game for HOF/GOTM. Although I personally wouldn't have the patience to reload until getting 3+ leaders in short succession - kind of like how Lanzelot discusses not wanting to play almost the same map/civ twice in a row, I'd rapidly get bored reloading until I got sufficiently lucky. Which may also be part of why I don't have any top-tier HOF games, just table-filler games for the less popular configurations.

So, yes, with a sufficient amount of patience to be blessed by the RNG gods eventually, it's not very interesting. But the basic question of, "who's the strongest civ in the Mesopotamia scenario?" is still an interesting one or no one would be discussing it. There's no 100% scientific way to determine that though, for reasons such as what you've mentioned.

If I wanted to set up a test for it to get some data on the question, I'd probably try to have e.g. 10 players each play each civ, with an honor system rule of no restarting/rerolling, and compare the results. It's entirely possible that such a trial might end with something like, "Well, the fastest time was Spoonwood's Medean game, but he got five leaders in the first five turns in that game, and on average across all players the Medeans were the third-slowest, so they probably aren't the strongest overall." Or maybe someone came up with an ingenious strategy for the Hittites that gives them the fastest time, and no one else tried anything similar, so they averaged out as somewhat slow. It wouldn't necessarily solve the debate, let alone because the ideal civ may vary by difficulty, but it would provide interesting discussion and highly debatable non-scientific data.

Last edited:
To be honest: I have already looked at some of the choices and was planning on taking the Abbasids... Do you think that would be too easy?
They do control Jerusalem, but the starting land is not necessarily that great.

Well personally yes, but I am not a Deity level player and don't fully grasp the ideal conditions to win, so take my advice with a pinch of salt. I have had several Middle Ages games where the Abbasids win on points despite me conquering most of Western Europe, for example, but some of my more memorable games have been as the Abbasids (I tried to limit myself from mass stacking on Jerusalem and instead focused on war with Byzantium, the Fatimids and the Turks), and also as Byzantium and the Turks. I would recommend Turkey, as they have a decent start, no pre-settled cities IIRC for easy core setup, and of course they are the only civ that can make Sipahis, one of my favourite UUs in the "standard game", never mind just in this scenario!

I would recommend Turkey, as they have a decent start, no pre-settled cities IIRC for easy core setup, and of course they are the only civ that can make Sipahis, one of my favourite UUs in the "standard game", never mind just in this scenario!
Yep. I had looked at some more nations and also liked the Turks. Unfortunately they do start with 3 pre-settled towns, two of them (including the capital...) in crap locations, so the first action will be to settler-disband those and jump the capital. But other than that, their start is great for a Deity game, and the UU is probably the best. And they can also build Assassins! I'd rather play with them than against them on Deity... I think I made up my mind: Turks it will be!

Byzantium is probably the strongest start, but 2 core cities need relocating, their horse-based unit (Cataphract) has only 4-3-2, which is the worst of all: Sipahi 6-3-3, Knight 5-3-2, Ansar 5-2-3 are all much better... And they start right in the middle of it, so will probably get attacked from all sides...

Could I make a small request that you spoiler your different posts? The first page is getting a monster to scroll through to find the content :)

Could I make a small request that you spoiler your different posts? The first page is getting a monster to scroll through to find the content :)
Or at least Spoiler the large images?

Alternatively, since you (@Lanzelot) seem to have been retroactively inserting new posts amongst the nine you made originally (abusing your Moderator superpowers a little bit there? ;) ), maybe add a contents-section in Post #1, so that we (and future perusers of this thread) can jump directly to the section we/they want to read?

Last edited:
Hoo boy, those Hun(garian)s sure delivered a whalloping with the help of their gods. You've got a hole to dig out of now! How are the victory points looking? I imagine you got a few victory points by combat, but they probably racked up a lot more?

Getting Sipahi and Assassins and being able to fight back seems imperative. What good are 50 cities if all you can build in them are Spearmen and Horsemen? I'll be curious to see if you can pull a rabbit out of a hat after that setback.

I am not yet happy with the format for this content myself. A "Table of Contents" will definitely be necessary. Will it perhaps be a good idea to put every Conquest into its own thread? But I wanted to have everything in one thread and feel that this would be better.
One idea I also had, is to "insert" empty padding posts after each Conquest to fill up 20 posts (yes, tjs282, the moderator tools allow little "tricks" like this...), then each Conquest would start on a new page. (Unless people can customize the number of posts they want to see per page?! I haven't seen any setting for this yet, but that doesn't mean none exists...)
Any ideas how to present the Nine Conquests in a better way are welcome!

Why not post new posts normally, as in, your next update comes after this post of mine, and then use your very first post as a table of contents to link to all these posts? Then you solve the issue of one page taking ages to load and ages to scroll through, and it allows everyone to easily read new content (either by looking at new posts or by using the table of contents), no?

Well, if one has to jump to posts #17, 23, 45 and 51 to read the story of lets say Fall of Rome, it's not very reader friendly either...
New update btw.

I keep forgetting: are images pre-loaded, even if I put them inside a spoiler? Otherwise I might start improving the load time by doing this, until I have a better idea...

Last edited:
Do threadmarks not exist on Civfanatics? As in, you have a table of content, and every post that is linked to in the table of content, has a 'previous' and 'next' at the bottom, so you don't even need to open all of them from the table of content, you can just keep clicking 'next'. I suppose you can replicate this by editing every post you make, to link to the previous and the next one.

EDIT: I don't see a new update? :p

I'm a fan of regular posts + table of contents that links to updates via the permalink you can get in the address bar after clicking the post number (e.g. #70). This makes it easy to jump to posts #17, 23, 45, and 51 from the table of contents, and also means that if someone is following the updates regularly, they often only have to go to the end (or near the end) of the most recent page to see the latest update (sometimes the previous page if subsequent posts have been made).

Next/previous within the posts would be nice, but I don't know of a way to automate their creation.

Spoilered images are not loaded until the spoiler is opened. I've gone back and forth over the years on whether to spoiler story posts. Right now the first page loads 50 MB of content, without counting the most recent update, which is kind of a lot. Not a big deal on my home connection, but I can see why those with slower connections, like the hotel connection I had last week, would find it to be slow-to-load.

You could always put every post from the same conquest on the same page back to back, like have Mesopotamia start around the start of the thread, then RoR at the top of page 2, FoR on page 3, and so on.

Conquest, which is probably only a "theoretical" winning possibility, as there are 17 nations on this quite complex map. Eliminating all 17 nations would require so much fighting, that one would probably win by victory points long before even half of the rivals are eliminated, even if one would use Assassins and only target the King units?!

I was gonna say Conquest was a theoretical winning possibility in some other scenarios, but the only other one it's enabled for is Sengoku, I guess because it's the other one with King units- and that one I could actually plausibly see you winning that way if you killed all the other Daimyos before you got enough territory to reach the Domination limit, but I think Sengoku is the only scenario where it would be remotely plausible to eliminate all of the other civs before winning in some other way.

he question now is, what to do next? I could either shrink my pop factories back to 5/6 for settler&worker production, but meanwhile a lot of the eastern space has been settled by the AI. (Even the far away French and Celts have sent settlers all across the map to the far east?!?)

Yeah, that tends to happen on this map, or any kind of custom map where there's an area far from where most of the civs are- any empty space will get claimed.

Top Bottom