• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The Official "I've Got It!" Thread. Post here....

damn it cuz you live in Ontario
but, Im up in Calgary and no one have got it yet...NO ONE,
or...is it just me? has anyone from Calgary got this game???

Got it!!! EB guy tried to talk mer into AOE III while I was waiting, explaining to me that it is "just like civ" LMAO!! Installing now!!

damn it, cant hardly wait till it releases in Calgary while others are already playing it.
I guess I'll have to start shooting EB employees then :mad:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to pick up a copy of the special edition at 4:00 PM Pacific Time. The manager at EB games told me that they only received 9 copies of Civ IV, but they had 10 pre-orders. I picked up the last one and now there is someone out there who is without their own copy. I feel bad for that person. but not bad enough to wait until more copies come in. :mischief:

I'm not quite sure when I'll be back here to the forum, but this is a great place to get info! I'm sure that the mods will be great as well. Happy gaming to all!!! :goodjob:

I called EB Games and Game Stop to no avail. All they had were pre-order copies and they were gone by mid-afternoon. On a flyer, I stopped at Best Buy on the way home. They must have had 30 copies. Needless to say, it's installed and I took my two sons through the tutorial. We're all excited to play!

Well, I have it. The sound keeps cutting out and I can't see the terrain, but I have it. :mad:

I am sooooo pissed. I went to two EB games in Arlington, VA, both SOLD OUT, Best Buy - all locations do not know if they have it or not, but it is not on the shelves!?!? (they are so ignorant these days! the woman who worked at one best buy asked me whether you spell Civ IV as "c-e-v..." GOD) - any suggestions whether Best Buy will have them out tomorrow - THURSDAY?

I pre-ordered last week, in the store, so I could get the "special collector's edition." I paid the full amount in advance. I struggle through the next few days, anticipating the game's arrival!

I left work a few minutes early and get to the store today, only to find that they SOLD my copy to someone this morning.

Fortunately, the next employee who came in caught the mistake and immediately called another local store to have them save a copy for me. That was very helpful. He called again, apparently not long before I showed up, to confirm that the game was still there.

Jeff, the helpful but powerless store clerk, explained the situation to me and aside from the inconvenience of going down the street, I was satisfied. Before I left I asked if he'd call the other store to make sure it was still there.

They sold THAT copy, too.

And because "it's not in the system yet," they can't track it at all. He called every other store in our area (I live in Portland, OR, so we have the stores all over the place) and nobody had any extras.

So they know how to TAKE the reservation...they just don't know how to HOLD the reservation...which is really the most important part of the reservation...the holding. ANYone can just TAKE reservations.

I got my refund and because I'm a Civ addict I took the standard, boring edition of the game at the same danged price. I'm calling the manager tomorrow. I DEMAND SATISFACTION.

What should I demand? An in-store credit? If so, how much? What about a FREE copy of the collector's edition when they get another one? (I think he'll just laugh at me.)

This all may have been for nothing, anyway, as I have an ATI card. =P

Comments? Suggestions? Anyone else have this happen? Thanks for letting me vent.

I've got it.... Don't be jealous just yet... It doesn't run just yet ...

I'll have to say that I could actually enjoy this version, now that I've installed it and played a partial game on my current PC system. But the bare minimum specs are too low; the opening animation sequence was a bit choppy and the sound cut in and out at random. The game reset itself to fit the limited specs, but once I finished a wonder, the movie animation caused the game to crash to my desktop. It's a shame, really, because I found a lot of things that I could enjoy about Civ4.

One thing I noticed right off the bat was that all civs get the scout unit now, and that enables you to get better results from the goodie huts (something once available only to expansionist civs in Civ3). I love the promotions idea in units, too.

The big issue for me right now is if I could upgrade the graphics and sound cards in my existing system:

2.53 GHz Pentium 4 processor
Asus P4SE Socket 478 motherboard, 400 MHz front side bus, 4x AGP slot
100-133 MHz DDR-compatible SDRAM, 184-pin DIMM card slots

As I've already posted a thread to the Civ4 Tech board, I'm expecting some sort of answer as to whether or not I can still get a graphics card upgrade for my existing system without having to swap out the motherboard or other components. I do recall seeing some 128-Meg AGPs somewhere which were said to be built for both 8x and 4x slots, but I'm not sure if my system would still support them.:eek:

I've got it and am calling in the best piece of software I've ever purchased in a single exchange. The collectors edition box is a masterpiece and I'm glad to have one. The flawless performance of the game on my 4 yr old AMD/ATI pc is just the cherry on top for me.

Great job Firaxis and thanks for this sweeet game.
(even the tutorial is a treat to play... :goodjob: )

Got a CE copy at Software Etc... walked right in w/o a pre-order. They had 3 left, but I have an ATI video card, and as you can tell from the bug report list, ATI cards do not work with civ 4... how/why they shipped this is beyond me. Half of all the computers in the world have ATI cards. Personally, I don't see how the *tested* this for 2+ years and then ship it with a fundamentally broken component for half the people who buy it. What a disappointment! :mad:

I got the game WOOOO. However the eyeball leaders are creepy.

I got it from Gamestop, Galleria Mall, Saint Louis. I think they're out of non-preordered games though. :)

rtilley said:
Got a CE copy at Software Etc... walked right in w/o a pre-order. They had 3 left, but I have an ATI video card, and as you can tell from the bug report list, ATI cards do not work with civ 4... how/why they shipped this is beyond me. Half of all the computers in the world have ATI cards. Personally, I don't see how the *tested* this for 2+ years and then ship it with a fundamentally broken component for half the people who buy it. What a disappointment! :mad:

That is not true...for ALL ATI cards anyway--mine runs like a champ.

Hypus said:
That is not true...for ALL ATI cards anyway--mine runs like a champ.

Your the exception. There are hundreds of people posting about the BIG renderer bug with ATI cards here and elsewhere. So, it's a major problem. Glad yours is working though... wish mine was :mad:

Just got my pre-ordered copy. Got it from an EB Games @ Calgary, Canada.

They had one full box of CivIV just behind the counter. As far as I know, non-pre-ordered copies are still unavailable.

This was from the Marlborough Mall EB Games store btw, just in case anyone wants to know.

Cheers.

CultureShock said:
I pre-ordered last week, in the store, so I could get the "special collector's edition." I paid the full amount in advance. I struggle through the next few days, anticipating the game's arrival!

I left work a few minutes early and get to the store today, only to find that they SOLD my copy to someone this morning.

Fortunately, the next employee who came in caught the mistake and immediately called another local store to have them save a copy for me. That was very helpful. He called again, apparently not long before I showed up, to confirm that the game was still there.

Jeff, the helpful but powerless store clerk, explained the situation to me and aside from the inconvenience of going down the street, I was satisfied. Before I left I asked if he'd call the other store to make sure it was still there.

They sold THAT copy, too.

And because "it's not in the system yet," they can't track it at all. He called every other store in our area (I live in Portland, OR, so we have the stores all over the place) and nobody had any extras.

So they know how to TAKE the reservation...they just don't know how to HOLD the reservation...which is really the most important part of the reservation...the holding. ANYone can just TAKE reservations.

I got my refund and because I'm a Civ addict I took the standard, boring edition of the game at the same danged price. I'm calling the manager tomorrow. I DEMAND SATISFACTION.

What should I demand? An in-store credit? If so, how much? What about a FREE copy of the collector's edition when they get another one? (I think he'll just laugh at me.)

This all may have been for nothing, anyway, as I have an ATI card. =P

Comments? Suggestions? Anyone else have this happen? Thanks for letting me vent.

I, as I said earlier, have experienced a similar (?) situation. Either the same happened to me, or they didn't notify me of the mistake I made in the online preorder and thus it wasn't processed at all (and they, of course, didn't tell me).

Top Bottom