The Patch Has Turned My game on Its Head

Cicerosaurus

Emperor
Previously, on king level, I used to try and seal off a section of the continent and expand into a wide empire being non aggressive- virtually just fighting a defensive war until I was pretty well advanced.

Now I find that the AI is virtually settling in my lap. No time for Wonders- I need to pump out settlers or units. And Bismark attacked me with so many units- I have no idea where he got them all from.

These are the first major changes I've noticed from the patch.

Yes...the new patch is kind of stirring things up a bit....I like it... Thinking along new lines and all that.... I find, though maybe it's still a bit early to be sure, that I don't mind attacking the AI if they've annoyed me....especially if they are close. It's going to happen anyway.... The "warmonger penalty" doesn't seem so bad now, though, again, maybe it's too early with this patch to tell....

I almost always accept DOF offers, and, if the civ is close...I also prepare for the eventual "Backstab".... In my current game Pachacuti is the the "runaway", has the strongest military, is several techs ahead, has built lots of wonders, has "trashed" all the other nearby civs and has attacked me quite vigorously, but I seem to be able to hold him off.... Hilltop cties and careful placement of citadels are critical in the early to mid-game...at least the way I tend to play...

My strategy will be to bide my time, and at some critical point make a mad dash for his wonder-filled capital which isn't too far away..... Maybe after Artillery... which is still about three techs away....

The AI still seem to throw everything at you in their attacks...and if you can soak it all up with careful "retreat/advance" tactics...melee in front and ranged behind... I think I should be able to grind him out...we'll see...;)

Oh yes...I like the new "pillage/heal" feature...you also want to totally kill off an attacking unit now so it won't pillage your tiles....before I used to try to systematically weaken all of the units...focussing first on the range units. Now I try to make sure I kill off attacking units...and try to make sure my city is in a good location and has walls, etc.... But, of course, it's all situational...they can only pillage a particular tile once...so if they are already weakened and are on a pillaged tile, I'll focus on some other unit...

Bismark's Landsknecht cost half as much to produce, so that could be why he has so many units.

It`s interesting...

Thanks JFM. After being steamrolled by Bismark, I started again.

This rime Hiawatha was shooting out cities everywhere. I had given up trying to get wonders and just tried to grab some available land. He had 5 cities to my two and I couldn't keep up financially or happiness wise.

I ended up going to bed and he (and other AI's) were stomping me with techs. I'll need a total rethink of strategy.

Bismark's Landsknecht cost half as much to produce, so that could be why he has so many units.

Right, I did not think of that. Bismark swamped me with these things. I had Pictish warriors, though we both had CBs and catapults. In my game he took honor, which was even worse.

If you see Bismark close by, get ready, because he is coming. If you can. Kill him early.

I've noticed that certain aspects of the game are more challenging, while others are easier. I usually play conservatively wide and avoid placing cities too close to AI and for the most part, they respect me. I found barbarians to be a lot more challenging since they pillage/heal, making the early game more difficult. Religion spam via Missionaries and GPs seem much more common in my games post-patch for no apparent reason.

One of the major things I've noticed is that the AI tries to balance itself out by using its money. Previously you'd sell your first lux for 240 and be well on your way to another settler; now, it appears that they'll buy military units and hard-build buildings (especially in the early game). I've seen better city placement and unit management by the AI, so that's good. One negative I have with the patch is that the AI are much more aggressive towards city-states.

One negative I have with the patch is that the AI are much more aggressive towards city-states.

They certainly are. You gotta grab a city state and call out to protect it quick. Dunno if I would call it negative yet though.

I'm finding that most AI's (even those not Germany) are spamming out enormous carpets of doom.

My best guess is that pre-patch, high level AI's used to be swimming in gold. Post-patch they are consistently poor. My theory is that all that gold they used to have is now being spent on buying units. Whenever they have some spare cash they use it for yet another unit.

I'm finding that most AI's (even those not Germany) are spamming out enormous carpets of doom.

My best guess is that pre-patch, high level AI's used to be swimming in gold. Post-patch they are consistently poor. My theory is that all that gold they used to have is now being spent on buying units. Whenever they have some spare cash they use it for yet another unit.

I think you are right! :(

I think they have programmed in a quirky sense of humour as well.

Yesterday I got cleaned up by Bismark and Hiawatha in successive games.

Today, I have learned my lesson well. They won't beat me again. So I start a new random game.

My neighbours on the continent are Bismark and Hiawatha :(

I haven't personally noticed anything really. I was beating king with about 99% success rate before the patch and I still am. Actually think of moving to emperor since king starts to feel a bit too simple.

@Cicerosaurus: people also forget that Germany can convert barbarian units to their army. Early game they can add those barbarians and only pay half maintenance on them. And if he goes honor policies it can be even less. they are always a pain, even pre-patch, haha.

Also remember that on higher levels, the AI is rewarded with free units for *reaching* a tech. When Bismark reached Civil Service, he probably got 2 free UUs.

How did you figure that out? I've been looking for a definitive list of the advantages AIs get on each difficulty level. I know that on Deity they start with an extra settler and free techs, but I wasn't aware of the later-game boosts.

Also remember that on higher levels, the AI is rewarded with free units for *reaching* a tech. When Bismark reached Civil Service, he probably got 2 free UUs.

How did you figure that out? I've been looking for a definitive list of the advantages AIs get on each difficulty level. I know that on Deity they start with an extra settler and free techs, but I wasn't aware of the later-game boosts.

they don't get free units for getting techs.

@Cicerosaurus: people also forget that Germany can convert barbarian units to their army. Early game they can add those barbarians and only pay half maintenance on them. And if he goes honor policies it can be even less. they are always a pain, even pre-patch, haha.

Ah. I had forgotten that. And I was playing with raging barbarians- maybe not a good idea (pity that you can include some Civs in a game and not exclude some in the same manner).

Anyway, I started a game yesterday which played very much like pre patch. Perhaps I am learning to play a little differently.

I have found that my AI neighbors realllllly enjoy building large armies to come after me early on. Game 1 as Netherlands, Hiawatha spammed cities and right around the time I founded my 3rd, he sends a large force of Mohawks, spear and archers. Yeah, Was not quite ready for that one. Next, as Germany, the Celts had a huge army prowling around my borders. I anticipated an attack and had my army ready.....they just kept pacing my borders, so I attacked first. I won the first round, but could not get my army in place to take their city as there was way too much forest to set up the attack. Game 3 as Rome, Sweden comes with a big force of spears, warriors and archers. I had archers and some chariot archers (gifted a catapult from CS in a very timely fashion too). Took out Sweden and have since steamrolled everyone else, but have been surprised by the aggressiveness early game from some civs....

Ah. I had forgotten that. And I was playing with raging barbarians- maybe not a good idea (pity that you can include some Civs in a game and not exclude some in the same manner).

I have it on pretty good authority that it doesn't make any difference to the number of camps that pop up, just the timing of how often the barbarians spawn from each individual camp.

Ha Ha very funny what you said earlier about having Bismark and Hiawatha as neighbours!

I too have noticed big differences post patch, not least of which is the fact that most of the AI civs have no gold for RAs, I can't help feeling this is a direct result of over aggressive civs putting pressure on the others to spend their gold on defense. Early Wonders seem to be easier to build, but forget all else past the renaisance era.
Early days yet but I would say each difficulty level is one harder than before.

Top Bottom