1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The quality of Civ 6 information online

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by knighterrant81, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

No one said anything about getting a religion or building multiple holy sites. You do not go all-in religion, you just use what you have to buy settlers.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

So I thought fair enough, randomly opened Canada and thought is was good so then I opened Victoria

“England (and Victoria) are masters of projecting British power across the globe to every continent. Initially she will use the Royal Naval Dockyard and her Sea Dogs to gain control of the seas, and then move in with Redcoats during the Industrial era and lock down her positions across the globe. This extended reach will complement England's doubled bonuses from Archaeological Museums, allowing them to get a big jump toward a Culture Victory.”

It must be hard to cover both vanilla, R&F and GS but... using sea dogs to gain control? I did not say that the wiki is bad, it has great information and I have updated sine and helped members. It is a wiki made by players and not a bible and will get better over time but I feel the above is a good example of feeling slumped shoulders sometimes. It was not an introduction, it was the Detailed Approach section.

acluewithout likes this.
  3. criZp

criZp Emperor

Isn't that the purpose of sea dog unit, capturing enemy ships to increase your own fleet? I never play as england so idk who effective it is.

4. Victoria

Frigates have +17 promotions vs cities. Sea dogs come a touch later with raiding promotions and yes they capture ships a bit like the odds of teh aztecs getting workers but the turn you capture a ship it is near death. On top of that having played many many sea dogs games you capture loads of ships but do not need them, in fact you end up paying maintenance until they are healed so you can delete them. Navy combat is so bad that you really only need 2-3 frigates and 1-2 Caravels.

acluewithout and Sostratus like this.
  5. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Remember you can buy civilian units cheaper with Monumentality too. Don't always need faith.

Pietato and acluewithout like this.
  6. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

As victoria mentioned, privateers really have no spot in naval combat given that civ6 naval combat is really about supporting land operations rather than controlling the sea. Frigates are just stronger units. Subs will eventually need oil, although nuke subs don't + are the best naval combatant at the end game. Which is a bit strange to say, but it's semi irrelevant because by that point you've either won or, supposing you haven't, carrier aviation obsoletes your naval_ranged units pretty fast.

Compounding that, sea dogs give you free naval units, but you get so many from the RND it's moot- plus, naval units starting with the ironclad requires fuel upkeep, so it's almost impossible to even keep the navy going without using a sea dog. It's kind of bad synergy from all those PaxB changes they've made every time they release DLC for civ6.

Pietato and acluewithout like this.
  7. Victoria

at least WOTW came along.

acluewithout likes this.
  8. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

The ability is just so phenomenal, it makes me wish they would can the sea dog and give England a proper industrial "HMS Dreadnought" UU.
    But what I find a lot of people don't talk about with it is the start bias change to give england a coal+iron bias, is incredibly useful. I've been tinkering with some modding (custom civ, some buildings, changing units etc) and it's really made me appreciate this invisible nugget more. Swords, knights, cuirassiers, battleships, power plants...
    I can almost afford all those late PaxB ironclads :lol:

Victoria and acluewithout like this.
  9. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

@Sostratus and @Victoria It’s taken me a long time to like the Salty Sea Dog, but I’ve grown fond of him. Yes, Frigates are “better” that Privateers. But Pirates can Coastal Raid, and that can be handy. I think it also doesn’t require any resources, or have I got that wrong?

The bigger issue is that I often unlock Privateers after I get Frigates. If it was the other way around, Privateers would have a more useful niche as the pre-Frigate ranged unit.

I think the real issue with the Sea Dog is that it’s ability is superfluous when you’re already getting free units from the RND. Personally, I think the solution is to get rid of the free units, and maybe have Pax B just give +% production for Naval and or Melee units off continent. However, I guess FXS wanted Pax B to have a more dynamic / distinct bonus, hence the free units. Oh well. Could be worse...

Victoria likes this.
  10. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Yes, those free ships got painful. The amount of coal they used was staggering.

11. Victoria

To me the worst thing is that it is more units to aimlessly push around the seas.I guess that’s why ships have anchors.

12. GrumboMumbo

GrumboMumbo Chieftain

Out of interest, which streamers would you recommend watching?

13. Victoria

I tend not to but Marbozir, the game mechanic and Potato mv whiskey.

14. criZp

criZp Emperor

Drew Dunrill is the only civ youtuber I find bearable, but he only does commentary on AI games. Perhaps that's part of why he's more bearable than the rest.

Marbozir is alright but I can't listen to the broken english for long.

15. Victoria

Drew is the classic example of a streamer who has no idea of the rules that streams civ just because it gets some extra people. He is 100% entertainment but just rubbish at the game.
    When R&F came out he was on of the streamers given it and what he delivered was funny but just wrong, you could hear him struggling to hide his lack of knowledge,