The Shieam are plain as day, lets spice them up!

Xanikk999

History junkie
I really dont know much about the shiem other then they are bent on world destruction. I dont know if they get all the units in the game but i think they do.

But they have no flavor only one UU if you dont count the raven. And they have no special abilities i can think of.

When will the shieam be spiced up?

Endovior said:
I think the official word is 'Fire'.

Then my question is why are they a playable civ while the svartlafar, illians, and mercurians are not?

Grey Fox said:
Their trait combination makes them more then enough playable already. :p

I dunno. I like spiritual alot but summoner is kind of dull. Maybe thats because i never finished a game and the best mages i had were adepts....

Grey Fox said:
I meant the other leader, summoner + arcane.

Summoner and arcane are unit specific traits.

I tend to hate unit specific traits.

Xanikk999 said:
Summoner and arcane are unit specific traits.

I tend to hate unit specific traits.

Well, sheaim are mage oriented. And they will be even more so once they have more flavor.

This is off topic but i wish lanun didnt get -1 to farms, otherwise id play them. Just seems kinda lame.

Xanikk999 said:
This is off topic but i wish lanun didnt get -1 to farms, otherwise id play them. Just seems kinda lame.

Well, they get +1 food from water tiles, isnt that good enough? With a lighthouse thats 3 food from a coastal tile and 4 food from a inland lake.

Sureshot said:
they get tons of food from water, the last thing they would ever need to build is farms... the -1 food from farms is perfect since it makes them more coastal oriented, dont see how thats a problem, if it is, just play kurioates or something

I guess. But then again regular farms on grassland get 4 food with sanitation adn 5 food on flood plains.

BTW i have not tried Lanun or kuriotates OR GRIGORI yet.

The penalties for each of those civs are a bit much for me. ;)

Xanikk999 said:
I guess. But then again regular farms on grassland get 4 food with sanitation adn 5 food on flood plains.

Yes, but the water tiles give 2 gold for Falamir, and 3 gold for the other leader.

Maybe thats because i never finished a game and the best mages i had were adepts....
I would say that that is definately why you don't like summoner, it will do nothing until you have conjuerer or summoners.
BTW i have not tried Lanun or kuriotates OR GRIGORI yet.
Sure, they each have harsh penalties, but also bonuses that more than compensate. Grigori are one of my favorite civs. In fact, there is a thread accusing them of being overpowered just a few spots below this one!

Xanikk999 said:
I dunno. I like spiritual alot but summoner is kind of dull. Maybe thats because i never finished a game and the best mages i had were adepts....

If you arent using conjurors then theres really no point to playing a summoner race. It would be nice though if the Sheaim at least had a unique conjuror or something since its kind of thier main thing.

My only gripe with them is the eater of dreams special ability is only useful on defense. I always envisioned the Sheaim attacking other people with their most powerful summoners, not sitting back on defense with them.

Now, if the eater of dreams could eat the population of a city they're attacking... but still, I like their mechanic. I really don't have an opinion one way or the other about them.

ok ..... the shiam .....

things of note ...

pyre zombies str 4 unit that you get with blonzeworking . if a pyre zombie loses a fight they explode doing collateral damage to all the units in the tile of the guy they attacked. this is a wicked useful seige tactic. (you still get axemen btw)

eater of dreams the meanest badest summoner in the game. you start with access to fire mana so that means elementals which i think off the top of my head are str 10 move 2. personally i learn necromancy and get death mana. early game skeles from every adept you have (make lots of adepts) is very useful. then as you progress you move into nightmares , then wraiths.

tactics....
-- spell extension is > then combat ... not very debateable from the shiam perspective.breakdown ....
----- skeletons - str 3 move 3 (permanent 1 per adept at any time)
----- nightmares - str 4 move 4 (great defensive unit due to fear)
----- wraiths - str 10 move 4 ( eater of dreams unit )

now ....
--- every summoner can and should have 3 nightmares in play ....
--- nightmares and wraiths can attack enemy cities that are 12 moves away from their originating cities.

now .... the eater of dreams .... gods to be feared...
starting in your city .....(assume 1 eater of dreams) summon every last wraith you can (size 8 city shoudl give you 5 wraiths). plan on taking a reletively close city (within a move 8). your barage of 5 wraiths will get to attack the enemy city at the end of thier 2nd turn, and any surviving ones get to attack again on the 3rd turn. keep in mind ... every turn you can summon another wraith to follow the pack. once you have taken the city summon another pack (eating the population) and ehad to the next city.

basically once you get eaters of dreams , you are like locusts headed to armegedonn .... enjoy the carnage and have fun with it.

I dont think pyre zombie is unique to the Sheaim.

Also from numerous past games ive now concluded that nightmares from a conjuror with a summoner race are a waste. You should be using chaos marauders instead. Much more powerful and their downside is negligible with the Sheaim since you can usually get them so far away before they risk going barbarian. Nightmares are still good though especially if you have lots of ritualists.

naf4ever said:
I dont think pyre zombie is unique to the Sheaim.

Also from numerous past games ive now concluded that nightmares from a conjuror with a summoner race are a waste. You should be using chaos marauders instead. Much more powerful and their downside is negligible with the Sheaim since you can usually get them so far away before they risk going barbarian. Nightmares are still good though especially if you have lots of ritualists.

Pyre Zombies are unique to the Sheiam, yes. They are unique-unique in that they aren't "just" a replacement unit for something else, they are a whole unique unit. Like Vampires are for the Calabim, etc.

They explode when they die. That's about all that's special with them.

Cheers!

Top Bottom