The Song of the Moon

Couldn't you make the dust seas dark dark grey, and the rest of the moon a light grey? That's how it is in real life, isn't it? The dust seas are the big dark blotches you see on the moon. Well, they're dust seas and craters.

Actually the big dark splotches are the Mares, which are basically bare, old, lava. The dust seas are actually very bright areas of very fine dust.

Mare is latin for Sea, but then everyone thought they *were* actually seas until people started landing tin cans on the moon...

JBG said:
Actually the big dark splotches are the Mares, which are basically bare, old, lava. The dust seas are actually very bright areas of very fine dust.

Mare is latin for Sea, but then everyone thought they *were* actually seas until people started landing tin cans on the moon...

Whoops. My bad. That's what you get for not being a selenologist.

An excelent mod:D

Glad you like it!

Should I be able to build more than one super-turret? I've currently got all my cities with 2 of them.

I'm having trouble with the artillery - it's annoying to constantly have to skip turn on the 'ammo', and in a stack of 2 of them, only 1 is spawning the ammo each turn.

Are the various types of factions (companies, rebels, agencies) predisposed to dislike the other types?

Damn dirty AI's ganging up on me. I'm the biggest and the baddest, what the frell do they think is going to happen?

The great general seems slightly out of place, but one of them did appear after a (if I may say so) particularly fine burning of an enemy outpost. I wouldn't like to see one appear naturally as part of the Great Person chance, that doesn't seem to me to be appropriate for early colonisation luna.

Could you really reduce the greenhouses in size? Having them that big makes the landscape look bizarre.
There seems to be a lot of redundant tracked units - they never seem to have damages close to the same tier of UAV troopers. Is that intentional, to make the tanks faster (and can do the 2 attacks a turn with blitz ability) but cost more and do less damage?

Entsuropi said:
Should I be able to build more than one super-turret? I've currently got all my cities with 2 of them.

No you shouldn't. Crap. That's a bug. Thanks for reporting it.

Entsuropi said:
I'm having trouble with the artillery - it's annoying to constantly have to skip turn on the 'ammo', and in a stack of 2 of them, only 1 is spawning the ammo each turn.

Well, it's a work in progress. We're happy it works like Civ3. :) Be patient and hopefully the kinks will get worked out. Is the AI using it?

Entsuropi said:
Are the various types of factions (companies, rebels, agencies) predisposed to dislike the other types?

Damn dirty AI's ganging up on me. I'm the biggest and the baddest, what the frell do they think is going to happen?

We hope to add in predisposed hate, but I don't think it's there now. It's good to know the AI isn't a pushover. ;)

Thanks for the input.

And Entsuropi - you're up to SuperTurrets? Wow, I've never played that far into the game! Is there much to do, build at that point? How is the AI doing? Are they building improvements alright? Are there still barbarians? Really amazing that you've gone that far!

woodelf said:
And Entsuropi - you're up to SuperTurrets? Wow, I've never played that far into the game! Is there much to do, build at that point? How is the AI doing? Are they building improvements alright? Are there still barbarians? Really amazing that you've gone that far!

Save file is attached. It feels like renaissance/industrial age - still lots to do, but a definite feeling that the game is in it's middle stage, with everything speeding up noticably. I'm about halfway through the tech tree, but in civ4 thats really about 2/3 of the way through the game length.

I turned barbarians off entirely in the game startup options, on account of them being silly :p

I was the top civ until the war started, losing (but regaining) one of my cities cost me some score and I'm currently burning through my gold reserves maintaining a huge army. All the cities whose names are 2 words each beginning with D are the ones I build - everything else has been siezed :D

Entsuropi said:
Save file is attached. It feels like renaissance/industrial age - still lots to do, but a definite feeling that the game is in it's middle stage, with everything speeding up noticably. I'm about halfway through the tech tree, but in civ4 thats really about 2/3 of the way through the game length.

I turned barbarians off entirely in the game startup options, on account of them being silly :p

Thanks. Keep up the feedback as it really helps us continually improve the Mod. Feel free to offer suggestions at will!

As far as I know no one on the mod team has actually played that long. We are to busy working on the mod to do much serious playing. We leave that up to you guys;)

matthewv said:
If you read this whole thread you will realize that we are looking into this and that atomated workers do work sometimes:). As posted above someone realized that some civilizations built improvements while others did not

well, i'm a bad reader :)

Another issue: I'm suddenly hip deep in great generals. I'm getting one for every major city I attack, and at this rate i'll have a military academy for every one of my cities.

On the improvement front, the AI is building nothing but glass houses, plus the various 'activation' ones for the resources. I've not seen any refineries or customs houses in their empires, though admitteldy i'm building mostly greenhouses - plenty of hammers on luna, but I find it's a real struggle to get the food to sustain cities above 5 people, so I blitz greenhouses around them in response.

:nuke: :science: idea :science: :nuke:
there was something about the hightmaps that generate the terrain (don't know where i read this, but i sure read it somewhere). the terrain isn't generated by .NIF files, but by hightmaps, that generate hight in the map (read: a black dot on the hightmap generates hight, if i'm correct). this might be used for the crater thing, to make it look even more cool :D

Entsuropi said:
Another issue: I'm suddenly hip deep in great generals. I'm getting one for every major city I attack, and at this rate i'll have a military academy for every one of my cities.

On the improvement front, the AI is building nothing but glass houses, plus the various 'activation' ones for the resources. I've not seen any refineries or customs houses in their empires, though admitteldy i'm building mostly greenhouses - plenty of hammers on luna, but I find it's a real struggle to get the food to sustain cities above 5 people, so I blitz greenhouses around them in response.

The Great Generals don't sound too good! Thanks again.

I'm not sure refineries do anything yet.... like matthewv said we haven't gotten very far actually playtesting. The lack of custom houses could mean they simply don't value them enough. I am glad to hear they're building glasshouses!

Belizan will be thrilled to hear that it's a struggle to find food on Luna. :p Without the proper natural resources I think it's great that some cities/colonies can only get so big. Sweet.

You could do with looking at the tech tree - for example, Prism Troopers are a level further on (as in, their technology is another arrow further along) than Heavy UAV troopers, despite the UAV guys costing more and being better (12 pow vs 11 pow).

Also, it's a bit boring to see 'a lunar scientist' on the quotes. Try the AC method of having a number of personalities (in that, the actual leaders and some others) being the people doing most of the quotes. It's a little more interesting :p

The great generals are not too bad - I got about 5 (lost a couple since they are slow and can't defend :s) from destroying 2 civilisations, each being around 2k points worth at their height. I guess that's fairly appropriate for what is effectively a lunar world war :p

Entsuropi said:
You could do with looking at the tech tree - for example, Prism Troopers are a level further on (as in, their technology is another arrow further along) than Heavy UAV troopers, despite the UAV guys costing more and being better (12 pow vs 11 pow).

The units simply being in there are place holders for now. Pow, cost, resource prereqs, ect all need tweaking.

Entsuropi said:
Also, it's a bit boring to see 'a lunar scientist' on the quotes. Try the AC method of having a number of personalities (in that, the actual leaders and some others) being the people doing most of the quotes. It's a little more interesting :p

I didn't think I used "lunar scientist" that much....I did the quotes, civilopedia, and strategy for 95 techs in one day. I think my originality was mostly tapped out.

Entsuropi said:
The great generals are not too bad - I got about 5 (lost a couple since they are slow and can't defend :s) from destroying 2 civilisations, each being around 2k points worth at their height. I guess that's fairly appropriate for what is effectively a lunar world war :p

Very much works in progress. I still haven't made one....:eek:

idea
there was something about the hightmaps that generate the terrain (don't know where i read this, but i sure read it somewhere). the terrain isn't generated by .NIF files, but by hightmaps, that generate hight in the map (read: a black dot on the hightmap generates hight, if i'm correct). this might be used for the crater thing, to make it look even more cool
That is true but I have yet to figure out exactly how the height map files work. there are like 100 hight map file just for hills:eek: That is alot of files to have to mess around with. The added complication is that our crater cims take up four tiles thus the high map will have to be for the correct tile of the crater rim. To make a long story short it will be a long time before I start playing with high maps.(I would rather play with .nif files then high maps. cCheck the cool Biodomes I created:D )

Top Bottom