The SPLIT of the Mongol empire !!!

Itzcoatl

Chieftain
First time I see it ! Right after the fall of their capital Shangtu yesterday, Mongols citizens went to civil war and splitted to regular Mongols on one side and Greeks on the other !

Greeks took over the northern part of the empire (actually the furthest from the battlefront), including the "historical" capital Samarkand.

To be noticed is that the "regular" mongol government (still a democracy) seems to keep control on the largest part of the country, so-called Greeks apparently taking out only about 30 % of the previously "unified" territory. The Greeks immediately asked me for peace, but of course remained at war with their ennemy brothers...

Well this is really a great experience ! I can now see my mongol ennemies strangled between their "Greek" brothers on one side and my powerful Russian army on the other. The funniest is that they were my closest competitors and thus went directly back to the underdevelopped-powers mull...

A last dilghtfull detail : taking Shangtu I also captured the United Nations wonder which was built-in... (though it wasn't a surprise since it was precisely the reason why I attacked Shangtu)

I had already heard about that possibility of splitting an ennemy empire but I had never experienced it yet. What about you ?

Oh, details :I am playing emperor, and as I already wrote before the Mongols were a Democracy.

[This message has been edited by Itzcoatl (edited June 12, 2001).]

I agree. It is always fun to watch an enemy civ turn on itself. I will on occasion target the enemy capital for the sole purpose of inciting a civil war. However, I do this only if the enemy civ poses a serious challenge to my supremacy. If I know at the outset of a war that I will be able to win through steady and systematic conquest due to my superior military forces or my vast reserves of bribe money, I will just conquer cities in whatever order I come to them so as to maintain the smallest defensive front required.

There's nothing more satisfying than seeing your main competitor crumble at your feet. :slay:

In my most recent game the mighty russians were becoming too large for my taste... they had just finished a huge campain wich destroyed the entire japaneese empire, while I was the tiny vikings -innocent bystander- ...

The russians controlled far more than half the world! And they had an enormous army.. Since I was the only other nation on the planet that could even come near to challange them, it became me who loaded my ships and went to destroy moscow!

After a long and fierce battle I had established a beach head, and moscow itself could not stand against my army of howitzers and stealth airforce...

And sure enough: The japaneese rebelled against their conqurers, and most of their cities plus some that originaly were russian fell to the japaneese side in the civil war.

Now I am allied with the Japaneese, And each turn we`re reducing the russians to rumble bit by bit! :viking:

I have never expirienced that an empire that just had been conqured returned in a civil war in the country that conqured them!

It is a pity that they didn't put the empire splitting civil war feature into Civ 3

What ? :confused: Since when there are 'civil wars' in civ 3 ? Never heard of that happening, like in civ 2.
Anyway, I'm GLAD they took it away from the game, it is so UNREALISTIC. Why should there be a civil war if someone takes my capitol ? It makes no sense. Plus, a mongolian empire splitting into both mongolian and greek is ridiculous. :crazyeye:

EDIT : Oh I'm so sorry I thought I was on Civ 3 stories and tales section ! Dumb me :mad:

Never had that happen to me, but usually I get my head handed to me on the Emperor level. Never saw it on prince -- is it only for the highest levels?

That's my favourite tactic in Civ II when I'm at war. Go after the enemy's capital and hopefully they collapse.

:die:

I so wish it was in Civ 3. The game needs a means of introducing new Civs into it after the start.

It would add much needed balance to it -- providing a down side to the tired expand, expand, expand strategy, and open up the possibility of re-creating the history of the Earth in the game!

The split certainly adds more fun to the game. I think it should be included in Civ3, just to make the game less predictable. It allows for more strategy.

Well, someone said that Civil War splitting the country is "SO UNREALISTIC"...

Let me tell you something. I live in Brazil. Here, que had a war between Republicans and Monarchists that lasted 8 years, during the 1830´s and 1840´s. The Emperor Peter II forces and the Sothern Revolutionary Army came to a peace treaty at the end. The war, fought by the Rio Grande do Sul state against the rest of Brazil had a calm ending.
But, for 3 years, we, the south, had an independent republic. If the empire wasn´t so powerful, receiving help from foreign powers and if some of our general had not been bribed, civil war would have conducted to country splitting in two parts.

Northern Brazil, a african-native-portuguese culture. The south, populated by italians, polish and german immigrants, would have a totally different culture.
So, Mongols splitting in Mongols and Greeks is not absurd.

Other example of Civil War splitting a country: you should not be surprised, (I suppose most of you are from USA). USA itself almost splitted in two during the civil war between northern and southern states.

Tchecoslovaquia splitted. Yugoslavia splitted (and Albanians and Serbians are very different) - What about Russia? If Russia splits in two, there would be a strongly european coutry and a oriental one! (Mongols and Greeks seems possible, does not it?)

I had a civil war in my game last night. Amusingly enough, it was the Mongols :) .

European map with historical starting locations. As the Russians, I had just come out of a Viking war with total victory, and was happily building up my infrastructure and catching up with research. The Mongols were a huge empire, but had achieved no real success in it's wars against...anyone.

And then it happened. They hit the modern era and began a massive expansion into Europe. They almost ousted the English completely from the mainland and began attacking the Spanish frontier in south france. They started on the Persians next and sent them packing. I decided that enough was enough, and launched a NOBLE attack on Mongolia with three campaigns. On the second campaign the capital fell and Mongolia split into two - the Mongol 'loyalists' and the German 'seperatists.' Amusingly enough, Germany aquired all the territory the Mongols conquered in central Europe so it was fairly correct, location wise.

I was happy enough. Meant I didn't have to launch an offensive into Europe, and I got to laugh at Mongolia tumble from being my greatest rival to latest conquest. :D

how do civs split? i've never seen that happen, and i usually play at the level below Emperor...

Basically, you have to capture the capital of a large civ and make sure they have less than 1000 gold. If they have more than 1000 gold, they'll be able to relocate it.

sometimes the game wigs out and you get 2 civs with same color

Top Bottom