The stupid intro vid!

bananamana

Chieftain
Looking forward to the next patch. I am surprised they didnt fix this stupid intro skip issue. I hate having to click and hit space and esc in rage to pass the intro :)

Loving the game itself though... stupid video.

Also in Civ 4 when you clicked ok the voice explaining the tech stayed on and you could continue the game I liked it that way better :) Cosmetic but I feel it added to the game somewhat :)

The game loads while the info vid runs, so that's why u can't get in to main menu faster.

But you propably didn't notice that in your rage.

How would ANYONE notice? To me it just looks like the game is forcing you to watch the video no matter what. Civ4's method of having the progress bar and showing intros after that was superior.

Yup and the stupid part is if you disable the intro video you'll feel absolutely great looking at black screen for a few minutes instead.

I would seriously prefer a progress bar over the intro video and the flowery intro letters. They are cute once, but they get annoying after a while.

Rat

Yup and the stupid part is if you disable the intro video you'll feel absolutely great looking at black screen for a few minutes instead.

Few minutes? For me it's about 15 seconds (and I don't have a very high-end machine).

I disabled the intro vid immediately when I got the game and it loads so fast it's not an issue at all. It is a pity to have had to overwrite manually the .ini file, though. They should really have put that in a preferences/options screen.

Yeah, it's better to have a black screen (you know you're waiting for something) than to watch the same stuff over and over and over and over again. I've disabled intro movie around my fourth start of the game.

I knew the game was loading during the video after several starts. Doesnt take a great scientist to figure that one out.

I made it through the old man and the kid with the umbrella on his back three times before trading it in for a black screen. Makes the game seem very unfinished.

It's quite funny how these lame civ V developers made only one decent part of the game which was the movie hated by people. GREAT !

It's quite funny how these lame civ V developers made only one decent part of the game which was the movie hated by people. GREAT !
Because the movie is nice. First time I saw it was "omg omg, this is going to be AWESOME!!!".

Then you open the package and realize that this is the ONLY movie in the game, intro cannot be skipped and inside this shiny box with "New Civ Game" on it there's nothing but a smelly turd and a note that says "No refunds, we wanted fast buck, now learn to like it sucker".

Hence disappointment and anger.

Then you open the package and realize that this is the ONLY movie in the game

I would have expected a few end game films for the different win conditions; yet all we get a is a LAME as a three legged cat "u winz deh civ" pop-up. That was a worse downer than even seeing the AI in all its moronic glory.

Rat

Also in Civ 4 when you clicked ok the voice explaining the tech stayed on and you could continue the game I liked it that way better :) Cosmetic but I feel it added to the game somewhat :)

That is nice when you research just 1 tech, but if you trade for multiple techs in one go the tech blurbs would overlap if you rapidly clicked through the new tech pop up screen. This sounds terrible. They need to combine the 2 setups. If you have no further techs to pop up, continue to play the tech blurb, but if there is another tech then cut to the next blurb.

the video is only there while the game is loading

but why do I have to click ACCEPT on that stupid I UNDERSTAND THE RISK OF INSTALLING A MOD window every damn time ?

A few days ago, I had made a perfectly static image (clipped from the final logo sequence) into a wmv "film" and wanted to upload it but changed my mind when i saw that somebody else already has a small one (terrible compression quality, btw) in the library.
I'll come back here later to attach it to this post.
Otherwise & sadly enough the skipintro=1 editing within the UserSettings.ini seems to be the only valid solution for now.
It's always possible through modding to make some if not plenty of other alternative(s) though.

EDIT1:
So... here's the wmv file worth only 30 small seconds of your precious time(s).

EDIT-2:
And, i had to redo it since i couldn't find the first version -- the 5 seconds looooooonnng completely static intro video as promised.

EDIT-3:
And finally the last one -- everybody seems to complain that the LOADING... process isn't obvious. Well, now it is in just 5 seconds flat, the remaining time you have to wait through is the code doing its magic which i have absolutely no control over.

Attachments

• Civ5_Opening_Movie_en_US.rar
    6.4 MB · Views: 100
  • Civ5_Opening_Movie_en_US(static).zip
    89.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Civ5_Opening_Movie_en_US(Loading...).zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
A loading bar, a silly intro, they're all the same.

The two are different in implementation by developers and connotation among gamers.
I just installed Windows 7 and reinstalled 2 games; Fallout New Vegas and Civ V. When I load out FO I calmly watched the logos and load screen tips after loading up a save to make sure it works. When I loaded up Civ V I go "oh sh*t, I didn't edit the ini file yet."

The two are different in implementation by developers and connotation among gamers.
I just installed Windows 7 and reinstalled 2 games; Fallout New Vegas and Civ V. When I load out FO I calmly watched the logos and load screen tips after loading up a save to make sure it works. When I loaded up Civ V I go "oh sh*t, I didn't edit the ini file yet."

I don't know what this 'ini file' is, but if you reloaded it you should've known the intro screen was just a video. :confused:

It is good to see that the target audience has no problems with Civ5 intro movie ^^

Top Bottom