[TOT] The Test Of Time Patch Project

I just had a rather strange thing happening, playing ToT Fantasy world with an earlier version of the patch.

I (Merman) was wiping out the Goblins and discovered there was one more Goblin city on their F3 city list than I could see on the maps.

I did a search for it, and it centred me at the undeworld square where I had destroyed it (Twistn'Turn) earlier.

I could move a dragon into it, with no message raised, but it was still there.

In the end I founded a city where the search reported the Goblin city was, and
on exiting the city centre access map, it was visible as a size 8 city in Goblin blue.

I moved a dragon onto that square again and captured it.

I then got the message that the Goblin civilization had been wiped out.

I then had two cities on the global city list at the same location.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

If you're destroying capitals in the Midgard version of the fantasy scenario then you're playing with fire as so many story events seem to connect to capitals so things start falling apart pretty quickly. However if you're just playing regular fantasy mode then that's interesting as I didn't think that was event heavy.

I think I have encountered your city not there but still there bug when I played @Kestrel18 's excellent Mars Now Expanded scenario for ToT a few years back. The Ukranians get the best start however it's a trap as Kestrel set up a giant meteor crash event in the late game that obliterated my capital and a nearby city. However while my capital was truly gone and had to be rebuilt I quickly noticed that my nearby city New Canberra was still 'sort of' there. If you look at the screenshot below you'll see there's no city graphic yet the city name "New Canberra" is still there. Should anyone wish to load the attached savegame with Kestrel's mod installed you'll also notice that you can't enter the city on the main map as double clicking it just loads the units, however if you hit F1 and go to the city list and click on it there you can still enter the city and find that it's alive & well lol! So I suppose if some weird event trigger city bug like what happened to me is happening to AI cities in your game (which is VERY possible in midgard) then it might create the strange events you describe!

1665385552166.png

Attachments

• LateGame.sav
    544.7 KB · Views: 14
Thank you for your reply.

I was playing the fantasy game, but not the fantasy scenario.

And yes, I got the name outline but without the city size type icon.

I use WinXp on my secondary old-gaming PC, and the runtime package linked above doesn't help me to run the newer ToTPP version, alas.

Well I loaded your save and I could not find the pollution on either map.

I find the F9 pollution count and Total Score peculiar on multi-maps.

Let me know how that goes, I haven't tested the latest version of TOTPP on XP yet. If this fails I can also provide statically compiled binaries (= no dependencies).

If this generous offer is still valid?

The problem is that I can't install the provided version of VC redist on my WinXP because it simply refuses to install returning the error. I used to install such a pack before upon the fresh OS installation but then I encountered many problems with older games when they required their own versions of VC redist, so I began to permit games install their versions that were present on their disks, ISOs etc. So now I have many VC versions installed, so all games find their favourite version of this library pack and run perfectly.

But this Microsoft version seems not to like any other installed versions, so now I can't install ToTPP properly, and have to be restricted to v0.16.

If this generous offer is still valid?

The problem is that I can't install the provided version of VC redist on my WinXP because it simply refuses to install returning the error. I used to install such a pack before upon the fresh OS installation but then I encountered many problems with older games when they required their own versions of VC redist, so I began to permit games install their versions that were present on their disks, ISOs etc. So now I have many VC versions installed, so all games find their favourite version of this library pack and run perfectly.

But this Microsoft version seems not to like any other installed versions, so now I can't install ToTPP properly, and have to be restricted to v0.16.
The Nameless One tends to appear for a few months, give us something great, then disappear. You may have to wait for a while for him to come back.

If you're comfortable either virtualizing Linux or running Linux off a live USB, here are some instructions to install Civ II TOT on it. (Although the instructions are for version 15/16, I currently run 18, so it works).

@TheNamelessOne

Bug Report:

prereq (get/set - ephemeral)
wonder.prereq -> tech

Returns the prerequisite technology of the wonder.

This can't be set in either version 15 or 18. Not a huge issue at the moment. I only discovered it because I'm working on a module to read a rules.txt file and change in game rules based on it.

Met an issue in my latest release, using the "mod" function, with commodities :

exemple.png

Cities are displaying strange names for commodities, ranging from "nil" to game system strings.
Have anyone seen this happening in such games or with the "Medieval Millennium" mod ?

Cities are displaying strange names for commodities, ranging from "nil" to game system strings.
Have anyone seen this happening in such games or with the "Medieval Millennium" mod ?

There is something called "nil trade", but it is a different issue. That happens if you leave the 'choose caravan commodity' choice box open for too long.

I haven't played with the lua tools for caravan commodities or mods, so I haven't observed this. Might be best to actually tag @Knighttime to make sure he sees this.

Hello.
There is a bug in the "Extended Original Game" mode.
When the "Colonist" unit uses the Teleport function from a Starport (even if I built several Starports in both worlds), the game shows the message below:

Civ2 TOT - Colonist teleport bug.png

This works normally for any other units I've used.
I'm surprised no one has reported this issue so far.

For that case, I found a solution in the Rules.txt file (C:\Program Files\Microprose\Test of Time\ExtendedOriginal\Rules.txt).
For some reason, the Colonist's rule is different from the Settlers and Enginners.

Settlers / Enginners rule (line 943 and 944):
11111111, 00000000, 0, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000001, 0000000000000000, 00000000 ;Settlers
11111111, 00000000, 0, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000001, 0000000000000000, 00000000 ;Engineers

Colonist rule (line 995):
01111110, 00000010, 0, 0000000000000001, 0000000000000011, 0000000000000000, 00100000 ;Colonist

Changing the Colonist's binary numbers to the same as Settlers and Engineers fixes the problem.
I tested it and it works, the message does not appear and I can teleport normally.

The current maximum number of units is still 189+Barbarian leader, correct? Or did I miss a TNO update recently (to be honest, I'm asking a bit wistfully, as I don't BELIEVE I've missed such an update, but it would be a nice surprise).

The current maximum number of units is still 189+Barbarian leader, correct? Or did I miss a TNO update recently (to be honest, I'm asking a bit wistfully, as I don't BELIEVE I've missed such an update, but it would be a nice surprise).

That sounds right. If you need more, I can help you with some code from HoF that allowed me to recycle slots and stretch this.

It's probably not an issue unless you're playing a really big map that's really crowded, but since TOTPP greatly expands the city limit, could it unlock the city name limit?

It's probably not an issue unless you're playing a really big map that's really crowded, but since TOTPP greatly expands the city limit, could it unlock the city name limit?
You could probably do it indirectly with Lua. Changing the name of the city in onCityFounded will change the name that is suggested to the player when they found the city. In the Soaring Spirit Lua enhancement I worked on for a bit, the onCityFounded event automatically found the recommended city name for the tile:

Code:
local cityNames = require("soaringCityNames")

local function doOnCityFounded(city)
    city.name = cityNames[gen.getTileID(city.location)] or "Do Not Build"
    -- more code
Code:
local gen = require("generalLibrary")
local cityNamesByTileID = {}
cityNamesByTileID[gen.getTileID(12,64)]="Tharrus"
cityNamesByTileID[gen.getTileID(18,86)]="Nora"
cityNamesByTileID[gen.getTileID(20,18)]="Urcinium"
-- more names
return cityNamesByTileID

Top Bottom