[TOT] The Test Of Time Patch Project

Thank you for the files.

Replaced with your folder and same issue. Interestingly as i turned the music off in game and played using background media the option was off when the game loaded, but as soon as i turn on Music in game settings it crashes back to desktop.
Are there any other codecs or drivers i need to add to my system to play the music? So far all i did was enable using the command regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ir50_32.dll on my windows 10 machine.

if anyone is anygood with windows event log errors...

Fault bucket 1817706308374021749, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: civ2.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 37e7bcc6
P4: lua.dll
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 613a5d72
P7: c0000005
P8: 00001da9
P9:
P10:

I have this same problem, anybody has a solution for this?

I have this same problem, anybody has a solution for this?
Hey you need to enable 'direct show music' in the program TOTLauncher.exe and also enable the execution of lua scripts, then transfer the music files to the 'music' folder, and the script files (AddToLuaFolder) to the 'lua' folder, you still need to edit the game.txt file by adding the necessary tracks to the @PICKMUSICTOT sub-item
all this is described in detail here

Don't remember seeing anything about enabling the excecution of lua scripts in that installation guide, but i just did that and now it works.

Do i have to edit the game.txt files? I thought that was just to set up a custom track order. Music works now and i'm fine with the default selection for now.

Don't remember seeing anything about enabling the excecution of lua scripts in that installation guide, but i just did that and now it works.

Do i have to edit the game.txt files? I thought that was just to set up a custom track order. Music works now and i'm fine with the default selection for now.

There are 2 separate functionalities here, that we need to get straight.

One functionality is to have the basic Test of Time music in .mp3 format, so you can have music without a CD. For this, you don't need to do anything with my ExtendedMusicForTOTPP patch, unless you find it a convenient way to get all the Test of Time music. My extension allows you to add more music to the Music folder, and make custom playlists that you can pick music from.

What I didn't know until today is that the DirectShow Music patch requires Lua Scripting to be enabled. This wasn't the case before (I tested on an older version of the patch). I'm guessing that version 18 requires this because it integrated the music into the Lua events. Among the regulars here, having Lua Scripting enabled is normal, so that is probably why no one noticed.

It was an oversight on my part not to mention that Lua scripting is necessary for the Extended Music Patch.

If you have already installed the Extended Music Patch, and don't want it, you can replace the lua folder in your Test of Time directory with the one provided by the TOTPP download (or, just replace the init.lua file provided by that download). You can also use the Extended Music Patch without changing the game.txt file. All that means is that the names of music won't be correct (and "Crusades" will open an extended pick music menu).

One question, does this patch allow to change the resolution in some way?

The game looks fine as i can zoom in to enlarge the view, but the text and everything else is just so tiny on my 1440p screen.

One question, does this patch allow to change the resolution in some way?

The game looks fine as i can zoom in to enlarge the view, but the text and everything else is just so tiny on my 1440p screen.

You can use View -> Map Layout to switch to the Classic/MGE window layout. From there, resizing the status window can increase the size of the active unit font. I don't know of a way to change text boxes, etc. You might just have to go into your computer settings and lower the resolution of your monitor when you play.

Should be fixed by now, no?

Yes, the movement multipliers bug was fixed, but the technologies were from a more recent patch.

I've noticed that enabling animated map significantly harms game performance. Is there a fix to allow animations on map without hindering performance?

I've noticed that enabling animated map significantly harms game performance. Is there a fix to allow animations on map without hindering performance?
Strange, I have animations on most of the time and have no troubles. Although I'm still rocking Windows 7 lol. Haven't seen anyone posting about this issue before so it's possible there's something about your setup that it doesn't like that's going to be difficult for others to replicate. Can you share your system & OS info for the next time @TheNamelessOne visits the forum?

Probably unrelated but there was a guy talking about huge performance issues over in the Civ2 MGE UIA thread (which is a MGE equivalent tool similar to ToTPP) because they were trying to use Civ2UIA on a classic 90s machine and the 'decrease CPU usage fix' was meant for modern machines. ToTPP has the same fix so if you're trying to run this on a VM or retro vintage machine then try turning that tickbox off in the ToTPP launcher. If you're on a modern machine with win 10 then hmm yeah I got no idea and it's going to need TNO to investigate.

Oh actually I've got another idea, if you're able to start up ToT without ToTPP installed which I know some cant on modern OS's but some still can, and see how the animations are that would be interesting info too. If you cant start it up without ToTPP then maybe try ToT with just FoxAhead's 64bit patcher and see if ToT then works and if the slowdowns happen. If they don't happen then we know it's ToTPP related, if they do happen then we know it's an ToT vs your machine problem unrelated to ToTPP (which may still warrant looking at in future versions if it's an issue that starts happening to others too).

Last edited:
@TheNamelessOne

I continue to have these issues, they have been unfixed for years now.

My problem is only semi-consistently. It happens way too much but it is still hard to predict

I am playing on custom parameters for random maps (like age, wetness, etc). I havent played purely random maps or imported maps yet.

Additionally, I am noticing that when playing mods, some of the original COSMIC parameters are ignored, specifically tech paradigm. I don't know which else might be ignored.

The years work correctly most of the times, I think.

EDIT: Also, the crash involving loading more than 1 premade maps after having run a game once is still there, so no it is not fixed.

I have an issue where the game will start ignoring the scenario parameters and special rules midgame. In this one, the save file from when I started the game (eu_b4000.sav) should remember to listen to the scenario parameters. After a few dozen turns, in the remaining three save files, the scenaria parameters and special rules are ignored. In Scenario_Settings_Ignored.sav, you should see a polluted tile, despite the fact that pollution is supposed to be ignored. I have included my totpp.ini file in the 7z.

This also happens when I play a game, and then begin a new game.

There's an issue with the mod folder patch. The COSMIC parameters are not being loaded upon mod load. Example: Tech paradigm is set to 20 in COSMIC, but upon mod load, checking scenario parameters shows default 10/10 tech rate.

Here is a link to my Mod, to see for yourself: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BDvturIWkVJCHDs4rxihFKVEk5Jfgvfm/view?usp=sharing

Attached is my ini file

Attachments

• TOTPP_ini.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 22
@PlutonianEmpire I'm not trying to speak for TheNamelessOne by any means, but I can shed a little more light on at least one of your issues.

Regarding the tech paradigm, there are actually two instances of this, stored in separate memory locations (or as separate fields). In the Lua interface that TheNamelessOne provided via TOTPP, the one found in the @ COSMIC section of Rules.txt is read into memory and stored as civ.cosmic.techParadigm. If you go into the "Cheat" menu and choose "Scenario Parameters", the second option on the list is also "Tech Paradigm". This is read into memory and stored in Lua as civ.scen.params.techParadigm. The game is written so that scenarios and mods reference this second value, rather than the first. In other words, it's not that the tech paradigm in Rules.txt isn't being read -- it's that mods look at a different field, namely the one used by scenarios.

If your mod uses Lua events, it's really easy to add one line into Events.lua that will set the tech paradigm to whatever value you want: for example,
civ.scen.params.techParadigm = 25

But if your mod doesn't use Lua events, then unfortunately there isn't a great solution at present. The following steps will work, though, as of TOTPP 0.18.4:
  1. Begin a new game as you typically would using your mod
  2. Before taking any actions at all on your first turn, save the game
  3. Activate Cheat Mode
  4. Open the Lua console by pressing [Ctrl]-[Shift]-[F3]
  5. Without exiting back to the main menu, reload the saved game you just created. This will leave the Lua console open (you may have to drag window borders to find it) but now Cheat Mode is turned off.
  6. In the white box at the bottom, type the line I listed above, substituting the tech paradigm you want to use instead of 25, and press Enter
Now your game will proceed with the tech paradigm you want, and it should be stored in each saved game going forward. You won't have to repeat these steps each time you load a saved game -- only the first time after you begin a new game using a mod.

It would be great if the tech paradigm could be added as a supported field to the @ MOD section that appears at the top of Rules.txt. That's the typical way in which other scenario parameters and flags are provided to a mod, and hopefully @TheNamelessOne can add that feature at some point.

Are there other entries in @ COSMIC that you don't think are being read correctly, or referenced as you expect, by your mod?

Regarding the issue with pollution, I don't have a good answer. If this is being turned off by adding flags=0x40 to the @ MOD section in Rules.txt, I don't know why this wouldn't remain in effect for the whole game -- that certainly sounds to me like a possible bug. Unfortunately I can't do much to troubleshoot it, that will have to wait for TNO.

Is the AI not fighting each other for anyone else? Ive had marco Polos Embassy for ages but not once have I gotten the message that the AI has declared war on each other. I'm on tottp 18.4. No one has built the UN yet

Last edited:
I just had a rather strange thing happening, playing ToT Fantasy world with an earlier version of the patch.

I (Merman) was wiping out the Goblins and discovered there was one more Goblin city on their F3 city list than I could see on the maps.

I did a search for it, and it centred me at the undeworld square where I had destroyed it (Twistn'Turn) earlier.

I could move a dragon into it, with no message raised, but it was still there.

In the end I founded a city where the search reported the Goblin city was, and
on exiting the city centre access map, it was visible as a size 8 city in Goblin blue.

I moved a dragon onto that square again and captured it.

I then got the message that the Goblin civilization had been wiped out.

I then had two cities on the global city list at the same location.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

Top Bottom