The Tragedy of Man

ooc: It is customary, if you are talking about sensitive political subjects. To refrain from giving RP directly mentioning them on the thread UNLESS such an action constitutes a public statement/action. Ergo if you are sending private correspondences to an NPC (As in your above RP) it should be done through PM and be kept private out of consideration for other players.

In the Interim: Update 2 (Part 1)

Tertius took a large gulp from his water sack before yelling above the din of the other warriors following behind him, “We will make camp here.” There was a collective sigh of relief, they had been walking all day. He threw his things to the ground and plopped down heavily beside them. The work of scouting didn’t suit him. He was honored Lliw had given him the job, but months of walking was taking its toll on him and his men. Many of them had signed up at the prospect of adventure and conquest and were disappointed by what being a warrior actually was: walking. Each day they would wake up and walk as far as they could before nightfall. Every new moon they would send a man back to Iovis Capitolia to report what they had found. So far it was nothing of much interest. They did find that they were on a piece of land surrounded on two sides by water, and that it was covered in a variety of environments ranging from grassland to marsh. In one area of jungle they found fruits that they collected and used to sustain themselves for weeks. In another, they found an abundance of clams and beautiful, opalescent jewels they came to call “pearls.” Tertius was unsure how far Lliw wanted him to go, but he was determined to find something to report back before he turned around.

That night he dreamt that his father came to him from the otherworld. “Keep going my son. You will find what you are looking for soon.” He woke in a sweat. The sun was just beginning to rise, and rather try and go back to sleep he stumbled off to get some water. He made his way to the other side of the camp where he thought the food and water would have been kept, what he did find left him dumbfounded.

He ran back to the camp and roused his men. “Wake up! Wake up!” he shouted as he began shaking men left and right. “We have found something.”

A few hours later Tertius and a few of his men made their way into the village, they would later learn called itself Jerusalem. The people of Jerusalem were not much different from their own, in fact they even spoke a language very similar to theirs. Later Tertius would muse on this, deciding that their ancestors were probably closely related, and got separated somehow. They welcomed Tertius and his men with open arms, giving them many gifts to bring back to Iovis Capitolia. While there, it impressed upon Tertius their devotion to the gods, it was something unrivaled back in Iovis Capitolia. They prayed and sacrificed to their gods daily, even hourly. At nightfall the people of Jerusalem bid them good tidings and saw them off. Tertius smiled as they made their way back to the camp. Tomorrow they would set out for Iovis Capitolia, for home.

Spoiler :

In the Interim: Update 2 (Part 2)

Brutus couldn’t help but smile when he heard Lliw say his name, “Brutus, the leader of our newly created scouting party. May you go forth and bring great wealth and knowledge to our people.” The tribe cheered and shouted and Brutus made his way to the front. He had worked hard for this honor, and was proud that he could stand before the tribe on this day.

“Thank your for this honor chief, I will loyally serve you and our people.” Walking back to his seat he was met with congratulations, handshakes, and backslaps.“Finally,” he thought to himself. “Tomorrow I will begin my new life and bring greatness to Iovis Capitolia.”
* * * * *​
That was months ago. He and his men had since been moving quickly across the wilderness. They climbed hills, swam rivers, and wove through dense jungle. Each moon, just as the warriors in the east had done, they sent one of their own back to report to Iovis Capitolia. Brutus still felt a sense of honor in his work. Each morning, before the sun rose, he would rise, thank the gods for his lot in life, and prepare for the day ahead. This morning, he could feel in his bones that something big was going to happen. As the sun rose and the other men began waking he readied himself to begin the day.

He pushed his men hard, too hard he knew, but he could feel something pulling him onward. They trudged through the dense jungle for only an hour or so before the trees gave way to open plains. Though they could move faster out on the plains, Brutus felt the sluggishness of the sun beat down on them. It wasn’t another hour before they had to stop. After a brief water break, they pushed on again, moving quickly. Finally something came onto the horizon. It began as just a speck in the distance, but grew as the approached it. Before any of them realized, they were standing before it, mouths hanging open, marveling at the structure before them.

“What is it?” one of the men asked behind him.

“I don’t know,” he said, excitement evident in his voice, “but let’s find out.”

Brutus left most of the men outside as he and few others approached the structure. They found their way along the rocks to the first opening in the hillside. Sunlight streamed into a cavernous room that opened up before them. Brutus was the first to step inside. After his eyes adjusted to the dimness of the room, he was amazed by the sight before him. An enormous statue rose from the center of the room, hand upraised towards the ceiling. Many of the features of the statue had been worn away with time, but it was the most radiant thing he had ever seen. All around its feet there were spread mounds and mounds of gold statuettes and trinkets.

“This must be a god of some sort.”

“A dead god,” Brutus said, still staring in amazement, “let us take these treasures back to Iovis Capitolia for the glory of Iovis and our gods."

In the Interim: Update 2 (Part 3)
“Come this way! Look!” Pomponius yelled to the others of his team. For years they had been working on a way to better store food and water. This was the day, finally he had done it. “Look, I found this muddy material that when dried in the sun it hardens. This is what we have been searching for.” They all looked at each other and smiled, they had done it.

In the weeks that followed Pomponius' discovery the tribe quickly adopted the new technique to revolutionize the way they made and stored food. They even developed an artistic style that entailed imprinting the sides of the pottery with shells to create designs that honored the gods.

Sorry but I have to resign from the game since real life has just gotten a lot busier and I need to cut down on the virtual reality a little. I wish that those who stay fare well.

how unfortunate, oh well that's more blood sacrificed for the god of wage-slavery I suppose :p

I just wanted to express my appreciation for this thread. I'll keep following it while it continues (too busy to join in, unfortunately), but I wanted to praise the narration immersion of the images and roleplaying. :)

In contrast to Melda, I have lots of time and would be happy to join in.

EDIT: Just realised I may not have been clear enough.
I would like to sign up! I can also delete this if its in the way.

We'd be happy to have you both aboard. We'd be even happier to have our GM back. Come on, Will, don't let us down!

Top Bottom