The Ultimate Civilization 5 Exploit

CivRohit

Chieftain
u can easily beat the game especially at deity level because AI have a lot of gold.

Trade luxuries and GPT and then plunder them in the same turn.

Next turn u will have the gold, the luxury resource and GPT cancelled.
And no war!

It's cheating but FUN:cool:

Oh my god! I totally haven't used this for months now :)

The definition of "cheating" does not include this activity. I'm starting to worry. So many people are calling things exploits/cheatings that the english language might actually change at this point.

Yeah this exploit has been very well documented.

It is the same as doing that same thing but then going to war the following turn. You end up with all of their gold and all of your resources right back.

u can easily beat the game especially at deity level because AI have a lot of gold.

Trade luxuries and GPT and then plunder them in the same turn.

Next turn u will have the gold, the luxury resource and GPT cancelled.
And no war!

It's cheating but FUN:cool:
Plunder?

I know a better one:
Step1: Make sure there's an AI with 3000-5000 gold available.
Step2: Get into a Golden Age to boost your GPT up to 200-ish.
Step3: Trade away all your GPT for a lump sum.
Step4: Declare war.
Step5: PROFIT!

So, we finally managed to find the missing link for the Closet Gnomes! DECLARE WAR!

So, the AI gives you the same trade again as soon as you repair the luxury improvement? They just keep giving you 200+ gold over and over?

So, the AI gives you the same trade again as soon as you repair the luxury improvement? They just keep giving you 200+ gold over and over?

yes.

that's the exploit part of it.

It's not a 'cheat' based upon the real definition of that word. It's in the game, so it can be used.

It's 'exploitive' of the AI as there's no drawback, not even war. Frankly, you have to wonder why you are able to pillage your own resources in the first place. Just seems to be an overlooked action that should be patched out. You can beat the AI without having to do this; but this makes it stupid easy.

hence why I won't use it. I will on the other hand use the sell everything to the AI and declare war version given that there's an obvious downside (being at war).

It is an exploit in the sense that it is clearly not something that the programmers intended you to be able to do, but rather an oversight. In real life we would probably call it a loophole. One that will most likely be closed since it is pretty well known by now.

I know a better one:
Step1: Make sure there's an AI with 3000-5000 gold available.
Step2: Get into a Golden Age to boost your GPT up to 200-ish.
Step3: Trade away all your GPT AND A LUXURY for a lump sum.
Step4: PILLAGE THE LUXURY.
Step5: PROFIT!

So, we finally managed to find the missing link for the Closet Gnomes! DECLARE WAR!

Fixed.

Dave,

Bibor is talking about trading gpt for a lump sum of gold (sort of like a loan in RL). But then you cancel the deal by declaring war, while you keep the lump sum... basically robbery.

Dave,

Bibor is talking about trading gpt for a lump sum of gold (sort of like a loan in RL). But then you cancel the deal by declaring war, while you keep the lump sum... basically robbery.

scam, dave is talking about doing about the exact same thing without the need to declare war. basically an improvement on the ops exploit.

anyway, why don't you guys just open up firetuner and set your gold to 1 million. it's a lot easier than dealing with a pillage/repair cycle.

Why on earth do they give you the ability to plunder your own buildings anyway, under what circumstances could that be useful?

EDIT:
Realised just after posting this, you could plunder all your buildings and gift that city to someone; or if it was about to be taken, you could plunder all the buildings.

There should probably be a diplomatic penalty for using these kind of tactics, akin to breaking your word about buying tiles or settling cities (if you were dumb enough to promise an AI that you would refrain from those). Conversely, there should also be a diplomatic bonus for maintaining fair trade relations.

I'd also disincentivize these sort of moves a bit by adjusting down the amount the AI is willing to trade away as a lump sum. If you want to trade 30 turns of 200 GPT to them for a lump sum, they would only give you 3000 gold rather than the full 6000 (not sure if it's like this already), and might even demand some kind of collateral: 2 longswordsmen, 2 ships, whatever, which you could use in the interim but forfeit if you broke the deal.

Even worse, the AI will often loan you enough gold to steal a diplo victory, made even easier on the higher levels if you play your diplo right and have sufficient GPT. I have borrowed 9999 gold for the win on a couple occasions.

To polish it a bit, make your trade and pillage it by your warrior.
Send in worker one to fixit, next turn send him to elsewhere and send in worker two to immediately fix the tile in the second turn.

I don't use it myself, but it works.

Dave,

I've pulled this off on players before, not just AIs :lol:

Top Bottom