1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Void

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by GVBN, Nov 2, 2009.

1. GVBN

GVBN Emperor

The English version is out and reviews are starting to appear, so I think it's time to make a thread for the game
    Eurogamer review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-void-review

Wikipedia has a short summary of the game in case you haven't heard of it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Void_(video_game)

The game is made by Ice-Pick Lodge, the same guys who made Pathologic. It features naked chicks called the Sisters, half man/half machine creatures called the Brothers, and Color

The game is very heavy on Color management. Color comes in 7 forms: Silver, Crimson, Amber, Azure, Violet, Emerald and Gold

Any Color you harvest ("Lympha") is placed in your "memory". You can use that Color to fill your hearts. The amount of Color you currently have in your hearts is your total health, and every Color has a special effect attached to it. Azure, for example, makes you run faster the more you have it in your hearts

While traveling in the Void the Color in your hearts will slowly drain and flow into your "palette". That Color ("Nerva") can be used to interact with the world and to draw Glyphs. To draw a Glyph you hold down CTRL and draw it with your mouse, very similar to how you cast spells in Arx Fatalis

Like Pathologic the game is unique and nothing like you've played before. Right now The Void is being sold on Mamba Games website, hopefully they'll release it on Steam too

Some screenshots:
    Spoiler :

The world map of the Void

Body Obscura, the Color management screen

Garden

Mantid, one of the Brothers

Using the Donor Glyph to fill a Sister's heart

2. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

So it... like... it does this and...

what the hell is this?

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Emperor

Sounds weird.

4. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

i don't think i have ever been so intrigued by a review....

5. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

America's response: :drool: :drool: :drool:

6. GVBN

GVBN Emperor

7. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

I think I'm going to write up a playthrough of this in the next few days with some pictures, if folks are interested.

Note: this game is hard. I have to start over for the fourth time thanks to a lack of planning.

That's what I said the first three times. Starting off, I thought the core game mechanic was simple yet incredibly difficult to wrap my head around. Very fascinating, though.