The Winter never ends

digitCruncher

Emperor
Just a quick question: Is there a reason why my maps are always completely frozen over, and don't unfreeze in the first 200-ish turns? I had a Bannor game I gave up on because every one of my tundra/ice tiles remained tundra/ice for 200 turns. I ended up with 2 cities at turn 200 (Epic speed)

Meanwhile, the lizards and the Malikim both developed GREAT terrain (for them anyway) within that time, making them run away in score. Meanwhile, I was stuck living off a few tundra, riverside camps (2 :food:, 1 :commerce:, the highest yield I could get), in the hope of finding more food resources.

I am using the default Erebus Continent mapscript, with the End of Winter challenge (it adds flavour IMO), at epic speed. But NOTHING melts. (However, the ice on the oceans DOES melt ... even without the Frozen World challenge)

Just me? Or am I doing something wrong? Or am I just not waiting long enough?

I read somewhere that the map size can influence this.
the melt-down doesn't quicken correctly when map size rise.
and melt-down stops after x turns : 200 or 300 or so.
-ice-glacier-taiga have almost the same art.
as a consequence, a huge map will melt at the same pace than a small map : eg 2/5 tiles a turn, moving 1 terrain (ice-glacier-taiga-tundra-plain-grass-marsh/swamp-desert ; or ice->ocean)
it means both :
-water seems to unfreeze more quickly.
-ice-glacier-taiga-tundra transition isn't easily seen and still feels an artic terrain.
-on big-huge map, there are high chances that after end of melt-down, most tiles stay in the taiga-tundra-plain range, leaving a feel of an artic terrain.

as a side not,
I played against the Chislev:
we were both in a grass-full land ... but they ended quickly into a plain-tundra land.(way before the frozen could be summoned or white-hand discovered)
Maybe they got blighted by an awful lot of bad-events climat oriented.
(I think I had the smart climat option on)
But I was wondering if there was some climatic preference (auto-terraforming) of the chislev toward tundra ?

I had a standard map.

But my current game DOESN'T have the End of Winter challange select, and started with a sizable (but still not completely normal) amount of grassland/plains etc.

However, it STILL melts (I get messages that I find camels and pigs etc. from the warmer climate), but ironically, the base terrain type stays the same (Leading to camels on taiga :p)

So obviously RiFE has an in-built End of Winter challange, that clashes with the difficulty setting somehow.

when playing my games (i dont use End of Winter challenge) whenever there is a weather event which alters in boarder terrain (the rough winter / droughts and so on) the change is almost permanent

take the last game i played i got the Heavy winter event (used to activate illian golden age) and it converted 3 of my plots into Tundra from a majority covered grassland city, this happened around turn 47, the tundra didnt melt and by turn 350 it still hadn't gone, i actually have to hope for 2 mana nodes (1 meta magic and the other Nature / Sun / Water) so i can have a Adept just for altering terrain back to how it should be... this wasnt an isolated occasion either, theres been every game that i've tried that this happens, kinda annoying unless playing civs that thrive in either Tunder / Ice terrains or Desert Terrains

Well, here's my turn 558 and world still covered in ice, 'cept oceans and my land. :p

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 951
Also play at normal speed not Epic or marathon, the game is just not balanced around those speeds

It means that at those game speeds some things like balance, research times and the mentioned defrosting just won't work properly. They will either be too short or to long.

And that unless you are running on a supercomputer you will newer finish a game on those speeds before it crashes.

Sorry to necro this post, but I got the exact same issue...
Tried a play now! game but that didn't help. The land tiles just never change... ressources pop up, the ice on the water goes away, kelp grows, but the land keeps being frozen :(
Tried it with Fall Further... there it works. At around turn 40-60 the first tiles start to change. :x

Top Bottom