Things Civ 6 has actually Improved

CD7

Chieftain
I tempted to leave this page blank, but here goes:

1. I love that cities can now be random shaped, and that you can push boarders out further. Makes it easier to site cities, removes the need to build "fill-in" cities to work left-over tiles, overcomes the frustration when you discover a latter resource just outside your city, and greatly lessens the temptation to burn captured cities because the AI built in the wrong spot.
  2. I love the use of Ranged Units.
  3. I like that Culture is now good for more than just pushing your boarders, and that Civics now have their own tree. (I think the system could work better, and be more transparent, but its a good innovation.)
  4. I like the different policies, so that two civs can have the same form of government, but completely different policies.
  5. I like that you can establish your own Religion, rather than getting it based on techs. I also like that each Religion will have different beliefs, rather than the same effects. And I like that Religion now has its own points system. (That said, I think the overall Religion system still requires massive work.)
NB: I am comparing to Civ4, as I didn't waste enough time on 5 to remember if any of these changes were present.

Actually, pretty much all of this was in Civ5 also, perhaps apart from the government thing, which worked a bit differently ... maybe you'd have found out if you had wasted some time on Civ5. :mischief:

Border and boarder are two entirely different things.

Moderator Action: Spelling and grammar should not be made into thread issues. From the forum rules:
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889
Spelling and grammar
English is not everyone's first language. Not everyone has perfect language skills. As such, don't comment on other peoples' ability to spell words correctly or construct sentences. If you cannot understand their meaning, you may let them know in a nice manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Government system is far better. Let's just say I hated the system in Civ 5 (I can't remember what it's called). Almost no flexibility whatsoever. It's like countries have never changed their government or ideology once throughout their history. It's not like the Sparta area of Greece is still warlike these days... It's closest to Civ4's system which I thought was best. Still no slavery, but we know Firaxis has to be politically correct these days and just ignore history.

I like the district system. It's not quite balanced yet, but I like it. It improves the builder side of the game.

I like the day/night cycle. And yes sadly some of this eye candy this game offers probably meant they didn't have time to develop a proper AI. Sad but true.

Yeah, weak post op. Sadly the religious thing is worse in vi than v, the shaping cities is more difficult in vi than v.

Sort of off target...

Why dont you just go back playing Civ 5 if you adore it so much, and shaping cities (districts) in Civ 6 is too "difficult" for you. :confused:

Moderator Action: Please refrain from personal attacks, it is trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Government system is far better. Let's just say I hated the system in Civ 5 (I can't remember what it's called). Almost no flexibility whatsoever. It's like countries have never changed their government or ideology once throughout their history. It's not like the Sparta area of Greece is still warlike these days...

"Social Policies" and "Ideologies"; it's not like the Sparta area of Greece is still part of the ancient Greek civilization...

I like how expansion is back. Sitting around with just four cities (even on HUGE maps) bored me to tears in civ 5. Though that isn't an improvement per se, more going back to the way civ should be in the first place.

The government system is a massive improvement over the Social Policies or even the civic system from 4; I can select exactly what I need, exactly when I need it, give or take a few turns.

The Eureka/Inspiration system is also cool, it always gives you some small goal to pursue.

DISTRICTS!

Seriously, I don't care about anything else, that can just be modded in. The existence of districts makes this game, for me, by definition the best Civ.

Oh yeah, and Eureka's and Inspiration are great too imo. Mostly when you stop seeing it as "half of the tech is free if you do this" and instead see it as "this is logical to invent with what you're doing, and this isn't".

Civ 6 got rid of the policy tree and the stupid mechanic that forced you to have most your cities run by the AI. They got rid of global unhappiness. It made civ 5 the worst. Happy to see all that gone.

I like the edict system. I like the rumors. Spies work pretty well. Districts are nice, but they still need work. I don't want to be building commercial everywhere.

Districts I definitely think are the best part. Still need some balancing and tweaking, but definitely appreciate the extra challenge that they provide. And while I don't think it quite is as much of a "play the map" as they advertised, I've definitely seen different tactics. For example, my current game is all about coastal cities and not riverside ones, so I've found myself building a harbor in every city, even ahead of a commercial zone in most cases.

I do think the envoys are a big upgrade on the old "throw a bunch of money at cities", but I do somewhat wish we got both more envoys, and there was a way for them to degrade over time. If I get out to a quick +6 with a city-state, I can essentially stop paying attention to them as the AI won't always challenge you for it. It still feels like you should be a little more active in maintaining relationships.

I also really like the governments and policy cards. Again, needs some tweaking and balancing (I find military cards to be much much less valuable than economic ones, so I tend to follow the same government paths most games), but it's got a good foundation for a system overall.

Districts I definitely think are the best part. Still need some balancing and tweaking, but definitely appreciate the extra challenge that they provide. And while I don't think it quite is as much of a "play the map" as they advertised, I've definitely seen different tactics. For example, my current game is all about coastal cities and not riverside ones, so I've found myself building a harbor in every city, even ahead of a commercial zone in most cases.

I do think the envoys are a big upgrade on the old "throw a bunch of money at cities", but I do somewhat wish we got both more envoys, and there was a way for them to degrade over time. If I get out to a quick +6 with a city-state, I can essentially stop paying attention to them as the AI won't always challenge you for it. It still feels like you should be a little more active in maintaining relationships.

I also really like the governments and policy cards. Again, needs some tweaking and balancing (I find military cards to be much much less valuable than economic ones, so I tend to follow the same government paths most games), but it's got a good foundation for a system overall.

it might be my mod, but I'm in my current game almost fighting over the Kabul (more experience when attacking) and Zanzibar (two bonus luxery resources for 6 cities each) suzerain statuses. For Kabul I'm currently sitting at 8 envoys (I think I gained and lost suzerain status 3 or 4 times), and Zanzibar is going there too, I think.

Love districts. They have totally changed city management as opposed to Civ Vand before.

Love city states. Suzerain bonus for some is on par or even better than many wonders.

Really fond of the new religious battlefield. It's like having a parallel wargame set up. It's kind of experimental and unpolished now but I can see much potential there.

The new policy system is good but it's a tad too fluid for my taste. I can completely exchange policies every few turns for free which is a pain to optimize properly.

Also lile the new city defenses. Weaker than in V but not a total pushover as in IV and before.

Espionage is more immersive than V but somewhat rough. It needs just a bit more finesse to truly shine. Already better than V, though.

Also the graphics is better than before. V was so overburdened that I could only play with the strategic map or else I couldn't properly recognize terrain. The new style is much better in that regard.

it might be my mod, but I'm in my current game almost fighting over the Kabul (more experience when attacking) and Zanzibar (two bonus luxery resources for 6 cities each) suzerain statuses. For Kabul I'm currently sitting at 8 envoys (I think I gained and lost suzerain status 3 or 4 times), and Zanzibar is going there too, I think.

Oh, for sure, I've had battles (previous game I think I had to go to +12 with Yerevan to keep it), but in my current game I have Toronto next to me, I'm at +6, and nobody else has put anything into it. Just feels like you should have to keep putting envoys into a CS to keep the passive non-suzerain bonuses from them.

I like how expansion is back. Sitting around with just four cities (even on HUGE maps) bored me to tears in civ 5. Though that isn't an improvement per se, more going back to the way civ should be in the first place.

Totally this, actually being able to build an empire again.

The government system is a massive improvement over the Social Policies or even the civic system from 4; I can select exactly what I need, exactly when I need it, give or take a few turns.

Seems to make it more an exercise in number-crunching micromanagement than playing with historical concepts, though.

They need to make adjacencies multiplicative in order to make us play the map.

Imagine, if each adjacency gave a 10% bonus instead of a +1 bonus. Suddenly we would care about where we place those IZs and commercial hubs. We would care a lot.

Actually, pretty much all of this was in Civ5 also, perhaps apart from the government thing, which worked a bit differently ... maybe you'd have found out if you had wasted some time on Civ5. :mischief:

For the OP's benefit, points 3 and 4 are new to Civ6, and point 5 only showed up in the expansions to Civ5 and the implementation in Civ6 is somewhat different than in Civ5 (mainly with the addition of religious combat). Points 1 and 2 were in Civ5 from the beginning.

These two right here are why I can't really go back to Civ5, despite the inevitable flaws in this still early version of Civ6 we have at the moment. I absolutely love the freedom to expand however much (or little, but much is usually better) I wish without the global happiness constraint, and the government system is the best such system in a Civ game.

Top Bottom