Things in this game that annoy you to no end

BARBEERIAN

Prince
For me it's gotta be global warming. It's always been a lame mechanic but this latest bout with it was so lame I had to post it. Was just playing a nice OCC going for Space (possibly diplo if stupid Suleiman would just demand one or two more techs from me to get to friendly) and in 1900 Pericles and Suleiman have a huge nuke shootout (probably 15'ish Strategic Nukes and 30'ish Tac Nukes in total). Guess where ALL the global warming ends up when I've got a 1 part lead on the next closest guy in space race!!! My Fat-X!! Despite the fact I have 10 forest preserves (plus some more outside the Fat-X to have a few little forest growth/chop areas) and my super-eco friendly territory should be the last place on earth the actual crap occurs. Within 10-years (marathon) I lost 6 tiles from my Fat-x, (3 farms, 2 grassland forest prerves, and an Aluminum mine). At that point I had to Alt-F4 and say 'F*** YOU CIV' until tomorrow. I'll reload pre-war and see if I can avoid the bs somehow.

What are some of the things that make you have to Flip your old buddy Civ the bird and shut it down every once in awhile?

Civs tech-trading like there's no tomorrow. Frederick was friendly with me and annoyed with my enemy Sitting Bull. So I thought it was ok exchanging Rifling for Democracy with him. Next turn I re-declare war with SB and, surprise, Apache men are now sporting neat blue uniforms and high hats everywhere. F***SAKE, WHEN IN THE HELL AN AI WOULD BE TECH-TRADING ADVANCED MILITARY TECHS TO AN HUMAN ENEMY?

But that's it, as making an AI coherent yet challenging is maybe still not in the software horizon, in order to make things reasonably harder they just turn AIs human-weary. And by doing so they also destroy the pretense of a diplomatic simulation.

There are too many :lol:

Silly events: non-stop trivial negative events that requires a lot of micromanaging. And tell me why the mining accidents always happen to my copper mines ONLY when I'm doing my axe rush.

Silly diplomacy: I'm having a war with my neighbours, can't you see, Mr Montsy? Stop asking me to send my troops to 100 thousand miles away to help a bloody dictator like you.

Silly tech trade: Mansa my friend, could you trade your feudalism to me for my metalcasting? I think it's fair enough since I just saw you give it to your worst enemy for priesthood. What? you want my scientific research + 400 golds?

Silly barbs: Dear Mr. barbs, could you tell me how you know we are here. You know, my humble city is in the equator, and you come from certain icy village far far far in the north. And can't the other two AIs you came across during your great adventure offer you something entertaining enough?.... Just explain why you HEAD STRAIGHT to my capital from thousand miles away without pillaging the AIs, you uneducated morxn!

Silly jungles: why jungles seem always spread to cover my gems? and why forests can't spread in the same manner?

Silly start locations: OK, I love forests, but I don't need 20 forests in the FC of my capital. I'm no tree-hugger, and I can't build National Park for at least 5000 years. Can I trade a dozen of forests for a couple of corns? Thank you very much.

Silly AIs: Stop building your new cities right outside my cultural border. If not then stop complaining we are too close.

I hate that thing where you click on a unit to give it an order, and the screen blinks you halfway around the globe to another unit blinking away aimlessly.

What is UP with that?

I like to delect myself with the game and to have time and possibility to use every kind of unit, civic or another game feature before it becomes obsolete. That's why I play marathon speed.
Something that annoys me is that in industrial and modern eras techs take much less turns to be developed. And the speed still increase. This makes using some units and features questionable - it's better to skip turns to build something more advanced. I don't like it.

The annoying mechanics of trying to select only a few units to split off in my SOD, and then spending the next half hour alternatively giving bad orders, cursing. Reloading when I realized I sent my artillery and not my riflemen (or whatever) to defend the city I just took, getting destroyed, and culminating with a fervent wish to throw that stupid computer out the window :p

The partisan random event. Broken as all hell.

Have a unit carry out a move order from a previous turn that moves it right next to a stronger enemy unit that just became visible this turn. The worst part is when I see it coming but the unit moves before I can select it and cancel the order. I don't usually reload because it feels cheesy, but that's fair grounds for a reload in my mind.

Bad starting locations. The forest spam capital comes to mind, but what's worse is having multiple mediocre city sites with no luxuries, strategic resources, or goody huts nearby.

Getting your water supply repeatedly poisoned, even though you have exexuted a counterespionage mission, have security bureaus, etc. and a huge EP lead. :mad:

I hate that thing where you click on a unit to give it an order, and the screen blinks you halfway around the globe to another unit blinking away aimlessly.

What is UP with that?

Agree. In the same line, somebody please change the mechanism so when you click on a stack, get one unit to fight, please remain centering on this stack instead of shifting to my worker 2000 miles away.

AI DoW's on you. Then it's "-3, this war spoils our relationship". You don't say!

Similar to the AI settling just where you were about to and then moaning about tensions from close borders mentioned previously.

The worst has to be the other one mentioned, AIs repeatedly asking you to join their war when you are at war with someone else, the AI never wants to declare war on someone else when it is already in a war.

Cyrus asking you to join a war against Shaka, Cyrus is vassalised to score leader and power leader Mehmed. You do, destroy Shaka's huge stack that attacked your well defended city, ready to stomp Shaka, then he vassalises to Mehmed next turn without him even landing any troops on his continent (Shaka was on another continent that I had gained a good foothold on after crippling Washington and destroyng Stalin - Mehmed was nowhere to be seen on that continent except he had a few destroyers around). So you can't DoW Shaka without taking on Mehmed and Cyrus. Mehmed has been the first to be eliminated in all my games featuring him since then ;)

I agree with "I hate that thing where you click on a unit to give it an order, and the screen blinks you halfway around the globe to another unit blinking away aimlessly."

It makes me always forget something, like the SOD my enemy has hovering over my city.

I also hate the new BTS industrial age roads. Can they make it look anymore like a railroad?

Modern Age music. It sucks. Why couldn't they put in some Jazz. Why the Omen song?

I also hate the new Monument graphic. An obelisk looks cool in ancient age. Big white statue of a guy in all your cities looks like placeholder graphics.

I hate the mining accident event cause more often than not after paying for supposedly "increased safety measures" the said mine will explode again a couple of turns later :mad:

I hate the ridiculous upgrade costs for units. 200 gold just to give a bunch of guys maces instead of swords?!?! That's insane! My entire empire only generates 300 gold per turn with no research spending! :rolleyes:

And why can't I then give those same guys muskets? Nothing upgrades to Muskets? They'll take a rifle (and 280 gold) a lot of teching later but muskets aren't good enough? :mad:

I hate it when the shift/alt and ctrl buttons don't function properly when you're trying to arrange large stacks. Seems like a simple bug to fix, but nobodies bothered so far.

... And why can't I then give those same guys muskets? Nothing upgrades to Muskets? They'll take a rifle (and 280 gold) a lot of teching later but muskets aren't good enough? :mad:

Especially vexing if you're the French.

I hate the ridiculous upgrade costs for units. 200 gold just to give a bunch of guys maces instead of swords?!?! That's insane! My entire empire only generates 300 gold per turn with no research spending! :rolleyes:

And why can't I then give those same guys muskets? Nothing upgrades to Muskets? They'll take a rifle (and 280 gold) a lot of teching later but muskets aren't good enough? :mad:

What's worse is the AIs can magically upgrade all of their archers into longbows in 2 turns. I believe they have a 80% off discount in unit upgrade, the biggest cheating factor IMHO.

The tornado event that always manages to find my Stone or Marble quarry when I'm trying to build an important wonder that is accelerated by that rock.

The long slave revolt that also happens when I'm trying to build an important wonder. Can't crush the revolt; I need as many citizens working as possible. And the "local authorities that are bumbling the crackdown" apparently are the most incompetent people in the world, since the revolt will go on for about 5 turns.

Losing a wonder when just a couple turns away. Especially if the slave revolt/tornado event contributed to the delay.

Spies always slipping past that Security Bureau and Spy stationed in the city security net to poison the water of a burgeoning metropolis down to a tiny city that takes much longer to recover than it did to collapse.

That annoying neighbor always asking me to go to war with his annoying neighbor when I'm currently fighting another annoying neighbor. Why should I help you, the annoying neighbor? You are, after all, an annoying neighbor...

The nearby AI going out of his/her way in the early game to ensure that you have as little land as possible to settle, when there's much better available land for him to settle that's not available to you. (Decent strategy, but still annoying.)

All things covered before, but they annoy me as well.

Yeah, I really miss Leonardo's Workshop.

HUUGE time gaps between some upgrades as well some ridiculous short lifespan units - ironclads, anyone? On contrary, cavalry turning into gunships? As historically inaccurate as gamebreaking. Yeah, yeah, all armies in the world kept their huge horse divisions in mite-infected stables between 1917 and 1970, waiting for the redeeming appearance of attack helicopters. And, yeah, yeah, there's NO TANK DIVISION in the world called 5th or 6th Cavalry, no, no... You will either disband, suicide your best armies or have them idle eternally, sipping your money for the ages to come.

Top Bottom