Things you only just now realized

Just found out the hard way that Great Wall is NOT obsoleted by Dynamite.

I suspect tetley just learned that the GW only goes obsolete when the GW builder researches Dynamite. If you are planning to attack the GW, researching Dynamite is certainly helpful (3-range artillery makes killing the GW civ much easier), but the GW is still in effect and you, as the attacker, still have to deal with the GW movement penalties.

Just realize that AI which prioritize Piety always become the punching bag for other AI and annihilated halfway through the game (except Poland).

Just realize that AI which prioritize Piety always become the punching bag for other AI and annihilated halfway through the game (except Poland).

Hello, Indonesia !

I had the exact opposite happen: The Ottomans conquered all the Polish cities (and maybe even had Piety, can't remember) before Artillery was even researched. I guess Poland just had a bad start in that game.

Don't know why but for some reason Indonesia and Venice always do well in my games. :p

I never saw Indonesia survive past Renaissance... I have to bring back to life, but only one city: I keep the "exotic luxuries" cities for myself :)

I had the exact opposite happen: The Ottomans conquered all the Polish cities (and maybe even had Piety, can't remember) before Artillery was even researched. I guess Poland just had a bad start in that game.

If Casimir survives Middle Age, he becomes unstoppable, crushing all his neighboors with his Lancers...

every game is different. I had Inca in a game on a roughly 30% hills map with loads of adjacent mountains. Needless to say he exploded, got the best religion, went warmonger and started wiping people out. No isolationism this game.

About the only AI that always seems the same are the highly expansionistic and warmongering ones. Zulu, Iroquois, and Greece always seem to do the same thing. shaka is so darn predictable I've started to enjoy seeing him in my games as I know I can buddy up and bribe him to harass everyone I don't like for just a pittance. I've sent the guy to war for 1 gpt and 17 gold before in like the industrial, he is insatiable.

What Browd said about Dynamite is correct. I had a plan where I amassed my forces a ways away from home, meant to research Dynamite and invade, then upgrade my Cannon to artillery once I captured the city. Oops. Great Wall is still in effect. Had to press forward with just cannon--too far away from home to upgrade. Ouch. That hurt.

About the only AI that always seems the same are the highly expansionistic and warmongering ones. Zulu, Iroquois, and Greece always seem to do the same thing. shaka is so darn predictable I've started to enjoy seeing him in my games as I know I can buddy up and bribe him to harass everyone I don't like for just a pittance. I've sent the guy to war for 1 gpt and 17 gold before in like the industrial, he is insatiable.

I love Shaka in my games as he always create such fascinating chaos in the entire world :lol:

In one game the entire world was divided on two continents. My Brazil was on the smaller one, with Poland, Portugal, Morocco and Aztecs, and despite small landmass size there were almost no wars before ideologies when there was huge Poland - me + Portugal war. So this continent was very densely populated and developed.

On the other contnent there was Shaka :lol: Oh and Shoshone, Maya, Venice. Well, since ancient era towards atomic era Zulu were exterminating, raping, pillaging, conquering, betraying, embargoed, hated, condemned, under siege and finally crushed but not before they managed:
- enter Shoshone beautiful ancient empire, consisting of three beautiful cities, and raze two of them
- ...do similar thing with Shoshone few centuries later
- conquer all nearby city states
- massacre cultural Maya civilization, including 100% razing and extermination of Chichen Itza, the greatest city of the world and home of many world wonders :crazyeye:
- conquering Venice
- attempting naval invasion on the first continent :crazyeye:
- since renaissance era nations from the overcrowded continent started sending settlers to Zulu continent, countless colonies were razed and slaughtered by Zulu during the entire history :D
- finally Zulu were completely annihilated by giant expeditionary force of combined army of my Brazil, Portuguese fleet, Moroccan sudden desant and Shoshone tanks :goodjob:

I love having in my games Shaka and Montezuma because they are hilariously insane, August/Hiawatha/Catherine/Bismarck/Casimir/Darius for similar reason - ability to build cool empires. Oda Nobunaga is also pretty cool in my games as he is completely unpredictable psychopath - I had games when he was my most loyal awesome ally, games when he was my greatest enemy, games when he conquered half of the world, games when he was world's punchbag, games when he was my best buddy until the great betrayal... And games when he was my greatest enemy until sudden declaration of friendship. And in all these cases he has exactly the same face:

>_<

Jesus Christ, I am really afraid of this AI personality.

By the way, when Nobunaga is angry he often says 'Ooooh... Suchka!" when entering diplomacy, which makes him even more ridiculous for me as in Polish language "Suchka" sounds almost exactly as "b*tch" :p

For some reason, Songhai/Celts/Maya/Spain/Denmark/Polynesia never manage to achieve absolutely anything in my games. Surprisingly, in my games Dido and Alexander always fail while they seem to be regarded as one of the most dangerous leaders.

On the other hand, Washington and Hiawatha... These guys are sometimes powerful but always extremely annoying. And while Washington is enormous hipocryte, Hiawatha is certified psychopath. He suffers on paralyzed face muscles so no matter whether you have just killed his mother or saved his daughter he looks like:

q_q

Hello, Indonesia !

For a moment, I thought how did you know I am from Indonesia.
But then, I realize you were talking about the Indonesia civilization ingame. :lol:

Indonesia UA,UU,and UB all are too difficult for the AI to fully utilize. Even I am having a hard time to get full advantage of Candi.

Speaking of Germany, clearing a barb camp the German way will not get you CS influence if it was a quest (when you recruit the barbarian) on THE YOUR TURN. You get the influence during the city-state's turn.

Scared me at first.

Well, it's just that when you clear a barbarian camp with any other civ, you get the influence the moment you clear it, whereas with Germany, you have to click next turn and then you get it.

Just now realized I'm way under-using scouts. They have always been strictly for initial exploration and popping ruins for me. Wrong. They garrison, prevent barb spawns, slow down barbs, recon, and conduct suicide missions in war. They can provide flanking bonus, throw off AI, pillage roads on forest/hill, block retreat path for winged hussar, have ZOC;and even if AI can one-shot-kill, that's still one good shot: all that it takes to save your 60xp treb. Not terribly useful if you think you can take a city lossless, but if losses are highly likely make it the scouts.

Top Bottom