Thirty Years' War

Baccus

Chieftain
Hi all,

I'm new to civ2fanatics, but I've been playing Civ2 since 1998 and I'm just about to develop a scenario covering the events of the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648). I developed it a while ago but lost the scenario files and couldn't be bothered to do it again just for myself - would anyone be interested in testing/playing such a historical scenario?

Cheers
Baccus :egypt:

I'm always up for testing, gimme a buzz when the time comes, I'm workin on another scenario at the moment heh..my icq is 57264776 and just what was the thirty years war? I can't remember

The Thirty Years' War was one of the great wars of religion. Initially started with a Protestant revolt in Bohemia, Germany against their Catholic overlords, they were easily defeated by the might of the Holy Roman Empire. However, Christian IV then led Denmark into the fray and with French backing had some degree of success - but again was defeated. It was then that the Swedes waded into the fight and under the leadership of Gustavus Adolphus enjoyed startling success and broght the HRE to its knees. Gustavus was killed fairly early in the war, but the Swedes continued to fight on pretty successfully for years. Ended in 1648 with a bit of a damp squib, but Germany had been decimated and took many, many years to recover. You'd be able to play the Holy Roman Empire (led by Frederick), Denmark (Christian IV), Sweden (Gustavus Adolphus) or the Bohemians (who will be tough to play, going up against a much more powerful civ, but worthwhile if you like a challenge). Other Civs would be Spain, France and 'Protestant Alliance' (England and Holland), all of whom had peripheral roles. Spain may be replaced by 'Neutrals', who I'll handicap pretty severely (have played Civ II Scenario about the new world, where the Neutrals were ridiculously powerful!) Neutrals will probably have non-mobile defence units. Rest of units will be Dragoons, Caravels, Musketeers & Cannon. Swedish will have Conscription technology, which gives them special musketeers rather than riflemen.

sounds cool, I'm Spanish and it really bugs me when they are made neutral all the time, but do what you must to make the scenario work. I'd be happy to test it when it comes round, and don't worry, I'm not just wanting to play the game before everyone else, I'll give advice and **** after playtesting

As far as i seem to recal Jesús Muñoz made a Thirty year war scenario. A good one to, but please do make a new one i would gladly test it for you.

But don't make spain neutral, back then it was the dominate power in europe , and used the war in Germany to attempt to restore it's power in the Netherlands and Italy.

AS said Morten i made a scenario about the thirty years war so I know some info about this age and could be more critical :) if you want that I have a small look please send it to me, I have littel time by exams but I send you a pair of tips :D

If your are interested my email is indalito@yahoo.com

I take on board what people are saying about Spain, and I do agree that they were looking at re-taking the Netherlands. The reason I am thinking this

The neutrals were going to be there as a foil to an AI-controlled Holy Roman Empire, who (if it was left empty) would plant loads of cities in Eastern Europe. I had thought about having a 'Catholic Alliance', but the power of Spain and the HRE combined would be too great. I think the best way would be to remove the settle power of settlers, just have them as improvers, but they are a vital unit in that as you need to be able to build fortresses. I think the map will be fairly curtailed so that if I can't remove the settle power of settlers, then the AI-controlled HRE would not have much room to go creating new cities (though this may be unavoidable in Italy. Anyway, the long and short of it is that the following, in my opinion, should be the Civilisations:

Protestant Alliance (England and United Provinces - inaccurate I know, but can't really be avoided).
French (who, though tending towards neutrality, did play a good backing role in the war)
Holy Roman Empire
Spain
Bohemia
Denmark
Sweden

Hope this doesn't upset anyone too greatly, though I think I have got a lot of people interested in playing the Spanish and taking over Europe! :soldier:

Top Bottom