this game is boring

DIPLO
• AI's attitude towards you is now visible in the diplo screen and diplo drop-down.
• Added info tooltip for an AI leader's mood. Lists things that are making an AI player happy/upset.
• New diplo system: Declaration of Friendship (public declaration with diplomatic repercussions).
• New diplo system: Denounce (public declaration with diplomatic repercussions).
• New custom leader responses (Serious Expansion Warning, Aggressive Military, Luxury Exchange, Borders Exchange, Gift Request)

YES!! :goodjob:

Bandrobas makes valid points. But, just as he is willing to criticize past versions for their shortcomings, so are people prepared to criticize C5 for its many shortcomings. It is by pointing out the weaknesses that the game will be improved.

Yup - and whether or not past Versions had their shortcomings, which has been correctly pointed out they certainly did, it still has no baring on whether or not Civ5 has remained true to the Franchise Foundations of Empire Building. At present in my view, it has not, the main tenant of the game now is kill your neighbour, with a few add on's to play lip service to Empire Building.

Wargamers should try a tech or cultural victory and take a view, I suspect it will change.

This is the first time in 12 years of playing the Franchise I have seriously slammed a Version, usually its just a case of letting the Version settle with bug fixes tweeks et al, its a complex Franchise and time to settle a new version is always the case. Few months later we fly again.

Time will tell, but on present showing, we are a long way off "Building an Empire to stand the test of time", and well into "Kill off your neighbour to win the game".

Regards
Zy

This may very well be one of the most disappointing games ever released. I am not saying that in terms of content, add-ons, or modifications. What gets me (probably with everyone else who disagrees) is how can Firaxis take up a successful formula that made CivIV great and drastically change it to the monstrosity that is CiV?

A common term I use when such franchises pull such a stunt is a "Jump the Shark" moment. I bought the game a couple weeks ago, didn't even spend 10 hours on it. It's disappointing on so many levels that I truly think that we had a bunch of monkeys develop the game.

Sadly, I think the video game market is drastically changing. With the release of Black OPS yesterday, it's very apparent what this generation of gamers is addicted to. Straight up FPSers. As a person in his late 20s, I feel terribly ashamed. If somebody already slammed CiV for being a huge downer, I am going to go ahead and slam it once more.

There is a lack of content, variety, and down-to-earth gameplay strategies. Military is the sole power in this game. Managing your cities and trying to succeed in Diplomacy seem almost pointless. I only built three cities before I had a pretty good idea of what was going on. In BTS there was a lot of activity going on, so I carefully had to manage resources while hoping that Montezuma next to me isn't suddenly going to declare war and bring 20-30 units in a stack to take over my border city. That there was the challenge, trying to manage a big empire while your rivals weren't all going to declare war, eventually having to settle as a vassal state (which was pretty much game over).

AI now seems to favor war in place of diplomacy. I can't say enough with how bad and poorly manipulated the computer AI is. There is also a general lack of thought in the 'Civilopedia' section of the game. In past titles there was a lot to read about and I certainly felt entranced and pulled through with all the detail provided in the game. Here in CiV, it's just meh, who cares?

I can say more but most of it has already been said. If this marks the beginning of a downhill trend within the Civilization franchise, then we should admit that Firaxis Games made a huge mistake. It tried to be revolutionary and provoking. All it did was appeal to a newer, younger audience and receive a slap in the face for discrediting past titles.

Unfortunately a lot of gaming franchises I have come to see and cherish have taken a turn for the worse. A few years ago I had eagerly awaited Super Smash Bros. Brawl to come out after years of playing Melee. After that title came out, I was feeling awfully disappointed for knowing that the mechanics and gameplay that made the predecessor great were dumbed down for Brawl. Here in Civilization V, the same situation applies, but on a much larger scale because Brawl didn't turn out to have such subtle changes.

As for franchises like Sonic the Hedgehog, well, let's just say that that franchise succeeds in only to gain profit and keep the diehard fans waiting. MTV (Music Television) is nothing but a cesspool of reality TV shows that the new generation follows because they are too stupid and too ignorant to realize that the station played music videos at one time.

It feels as though there was hardly any beta testing for Civilization V. I've seen so many titles take a formula that worked well and completely demolish it, that is exactly what has happened in this title in the series.

I want my refund...

It takes a lot longer to get through turns. I've got a beast of a computer, but even the loading times from the start of the game are ridiculously slow from the start. I loved in the other civs how I could zip right through the turns if I was just building. Now its like waiting for a child to be born.

That's the main reason I stopped playing Civ V
I browse the forums once in a while to see if a patch or something is gonna fix this

Just to respond to the previous post about making axemen and swordsmen... when you whip... you could be literally forcing slaves to fight for you. You aren't making axes and swords... you are whipping the people into your military. That always made sense to me.

The patch sounds like it fixed a few things... and when/if it comes out, I'll give it another try. Someone said to eliminate city states... I agree. They are probably a big reason the game isn't as fun. They are a constant burden/obstacle/annoyance.

It's time to remind people of a little quote from the very first Civilization game ever.

Now that we've gotten this whole "Civ 5 is the first wargame in the series" out of the way . . .

As opposed to:

A central tenet of destroying your own population in order to build axemen? Where are the people coming from if you're killing them to make the weapons? (Civ 4)

(...)

Immersive Empire Building, forsooth. The series abandoned immersion after Alpha Centauri.

I don't get your post, you write the flaws of previous versions as something that justify the flaws of Civ 5.

Someone said to eliminate city states... I agree. They are probably a big reason the game isn't as fun. They are a constant burden/obstacle/annoyance.

You know the answer:
Just set their number to zero, when starting a new game. It's that easy!

I really hope (and I'm pretty sure, this hope will come true), city states will NOT be patched out, as I like them!

So different are personal tastes...

I agree. And here's why:

My First Ci_V experience: Went over to a friends place who had purchased it.

Picked Greeks, Marathon - major mistake. In C_IV I didn't like the overly fast pace of technology relative to unit movement. Epic or Marathon beautifully fixed that and turned it into a truly epic feeling game.

Immediately started sweating out my city placement, almost despaired that the terrian seemed relatively barren except for a couple of key resources. Oh well, can't re-role my first game. Pursued technology to harvest what resources I had - wtf, I got 1 extra production? Hmmm. By the end of the game I got the message that it really didn't matter where you placed things. Very odd, this was one aspect that created immediate tension in most Civ games and especially in C_IV. Passion - 1.

Noticed that the city screen doesn't really give you the feel that you're looking at a city. Hard to get the feeling that "ITS ABOUT TO GROW!" or "MY CRITICAL BUILDING IMPROVEMENT IS ALMOST DONE, so I can move onto other vital production!" Passion -2.

Found out that I couldn't hurry production but I could outright buy it? Gone is the tension of finishing production so you can start the next desperate need. Passion -1.

Received a quest from a Military City state: take out my neighbour! The victim city state had resources that I presumed were valuable so I went for it. Made a Trieme and sailed it over to their island. Spent 10-20 or so turns bombarding a warrior before I realized that all I was doing was giving him 1/2 dozen promotions! Ok, that's a little strange that his warrior is now uber strong from sitting there getting arrows in the head and then recovering. Oh well, what ever doesn't kill you clearly makes you stronger. Passion -1.

Finally had an army sufficient to tackle this city. Sailed them across the lands. Had my super Greek Horseman (or whatever it is) take out the uber promoted warrior with Archer assist. Passion +1.

Fought my way through a choke point towards the city state. Difficult to say the least. Passion +1.

Finally, took the city state. Received an allied status for Military City state instigator. Started receiving military units. wtf again! He's gifting me units almost as fast as I could produce them if I was on a full war setting with my 4 cities? Kindof scratching my head as to why he needed help in the first place. Seems to be (more than) a little out of balance. Ok, fine. Actually not fine! What the heck, I'm not playing an RPG here - I don't really want to go on quests to find the sacred sword of a Thousand Truths! (Later I would find that the Military City states might be the least of problems). Passion -1 (and -3 when I learned of the degree of this exploit).

Through my attack on my first city (state) the city bombardment made me realize that a Settler might be my most powerful military unit in the early game. Run into barbarians? No problem, just plop down your settler (location doesn't seem to matter much) and start bombarding. He can't hurt you! Where's the tension of taking a risk of making a settler early run and daring to cross hostile lands to rush to that critical city location! And the Settler is relatively cheap too!
Passion -2 + an angry scowl!

Built my first building. WTF, am I interpreting this correctly, +1 food. Thanks alot! That took forever to build! What a pitiful rate of return if you can call it that. (Later, I would come to understand that these buildings had expensive maintenance! HA, am I to understand that this is a CIV game that wants you to NOT build?!?) Passion -1 (Upgrade that to Passion -3 when I realized the scope of the problem).

Found my first actual Civilization (Persia) strung across 2 smallish, very close islands. How fitting for a Greek conquest! Set up my Trieme between the two islands to cut off naval reinforcements as my major offensive sailed towards Island #1. Finally! A chance to turn that Trieme into a useful military unit after that debacle of ineffectively bombarding and inadvertently promoting my enemies' warrior. Blinked repeatedly in disbelief as I found that I couldn't take out their enbarking canoes sailing right under my nose! Great! I get to bombard them but not engage them! PFFFF! If
you can count rage as passion then +2; but really Passion -2!

Oh well, lets hope the land battle is more decisive. And it should be; I've made my first Chariot Archer with movement of 5! I get giddy as I visualize a series of hit-and-run tactics that wear down my enemies and prepare them for my Greek Horseman charge! Huh? If I shoot (range 2 spaces) then I can't further move...but, but, the standard movement of a melee unit is 2? So if I want to shoot I must end up dead? (Scratch head). Doesn't seem very useful to have all that movement. I guess I could rush very quickly to the front lines in order to fire and then die. Yes, very useful for dying fast - not much else. Of course, come to think of it I couldn't even rush to the front lines very quickly because some stupid worker is in my way. DOH. Major loss here, my giddy bubble of excitement was definately popped. Passion -3 due to the fact that it got my hopes up. To be fair, Passion -1 without my hope.

Spent couple hours bombarding their city and following up with my Greek Cavlary and Spearman (whatever they're called). Kinda going through the motions once their field army is taken out. Long, slow motions actually. Use my otherwise useless Chariot archers and Trieme to bombard their city, doing almost no damage each time (Settlers rock the military house!) but some until I'm sure that my shock troops can get off a win. Probably could have taken them earlier with more experience. Hmmm, that was pretty boring. I remember facing off in Civ3/Civ4 where you (pre-Catapult) have to worry alot about having enough troops to take their city. You know that you're going to lose some troops, maybe alot. This was like, I know that my troops are going to take damage but not die. So as long as I hit, then pull back, I'm not going to lose any troops. Really took any of the tension away. Passion -2.

But thinking about this further: why did they get rid of cottages? Especially for a game that was supposed to move combat outside of the city. Can you imagine the tension as an equal or greater enemy approaches your fertile commercial land? "HOLD THE LINE!" you scream with the realization that even if they don't take your cities they could chop you off at the knees by pillaging the source of the soldiers paychecks! Visions of Hannibal in Rome! This game, who cares? Just build back those "Trading posts" and you're back in business again. Really missed the mark here. Passion -2.

Overall, this is like some dude telling a lifetime Chess player how they've redesigned chess by removing all those complicated pieces and all their complicated moves and "look my red and black pieces can 'jump over' the other piece". So cool eh! You'd be like yeah its an 'ok' game, but it ain't Chess - Chess involves real strategy and tradeoffs.

So not a fan and I won't be spending money on this game. And, FYI Firaxis or who ever is responsible for this mess, I have been a hopeless CIV addict for the past 15+ years. I have bought-destroyed-bought again probably 6-8 copies of every game Civ2, Civ3, Civ4 spending at least $300 per version (Civ1 was pirated, sorry but I've made up for it) because I simply have no ability to control how much I play and cannot keep the darn game in my house without risking my
life/wife/career. So I figure playing like crazy and then destroying the game is way cheaper than losing my job! Rinse-and-repeat.

So I wish you well in finding 8+ console users who will replace an addicted player like me. I'm sure those console players will still be there 10-15 years from now.

A post worthy of quoting. My overall view of the game is that I don't necessarily disagree with any of the changes, but I do end up very, very bored. Where is the fun?

One point not covered in Thorite's post is how landmasses end up unclaimed for so long - I like the slow build up, but at some point you have to have every square km of land claimed, surely???

Anyway - CivV is officially for me the only Civ game since CivI that has not hooked me. It doesn't enrage me or annoy me as much as it saddens me.

Decline of the civ franchise??? Now this is funny :lol: Calling the fact that some people don't like the game a decline of the franchise is a gross exaggeration :)

I don't think so. I think he was right, even tho I still have fun playing civ5. (sometimes)

Let me make an example. In the last years I have played diablo type games like sacred2, deathspank, titan heroes, and more I can't remember. I would absolutly play them over diablo2 now. And that doesn't make them better games by any means (seriously :p)

What I'm trying to say, is that a new game always has the advantage of time. So, even though many players switched to civ5, me included, that doesn't mean by any means that civ5 is a better game.

Like the player you quoted said, it was a decline in the franchite. BUT the game is new, with the advantages that this brings, new graphics, new things to try out, even some new gameplay features. And that's why it's still a cool game and I will play it instead of civ4.

But what we have lost in 4 games of development and lots of experience during it, is a lot

It's disappointing on so many levels that I truly think that we had a bunch of monkeys develop the game.

Well, you may have a good point there... certainly, comparing, Soren Johnson (a Stanford graduate) with Shafer (a "University of Life" graduate) might be similar to comparing a human with a monkey...

Well, you may have a good point there... certainly, comparing, Soren Johnson (a Stanford graduate) with Shafer (a "University of Life" graduate) might be similar to comparing a human with a monkey...

A little harsh...I don't like the game either but we don't need to call the guy a monkey.

A little harsh...I don't like the game either but we don't need to call the guy a monkey.

yeah... you are right.

Monkeys deserve respect.

Moderator Action: referring to other human beings as monkey is rude and is unacceptable on the forums

This situation seems to repeat itself every time a new Civ comes out. I have been a Civ-man since the first days of Civ2. When Civ3 came out I didn't like it at all, and stayed with Civ2 for a long time until I finally switched completely to Civ3 (and loved it). Same thing when Civ4 came out, I remained loyal to Civ3 for a very long time until finally Civ4 won me over and I switched again. And now here we are back again..

And it is not like I'm the only one. Whenever a new Civ is out there are massive threads here about how much better the previous one was, and how rubbish this new Civ feels. But consider older Civs have been patched to kingdom come... Taking civ4 as reference the game improved significantly with BTS, and this was 2 years after the original game. But when civ4 first came out I was very disappointed: from the wonderful scale and complexity I was used to in civ3 the very simplified civ4 did not hold much of an appeal to me. But slowly with more content and features being released for civ4.. I finally uninstalled civ3 from my computer.

I don't like Civ5 as much as Civ4 right now (how odd!). In my case is mostly a case of historical inmersion, as somebody else posted in a previous post. I don't like the fact you cannot play real world 'scenarios' and I hate it that some basic civs are missing from Civ5 vanilla. The rest, for better or worse, is just a different game. I personally love the completely new city states feature (ok, maybe not completely new but a bit of an evolution from Civ4 vassal states), I am ambivalent about other things like single military unit/tile and limited strategic resources.

I will end up playing Civ5 only eventually, same as before, if only because of lack ot time. I will probably keep Civ4 installed at the very least until the first civ5 expansion (1 year from now?). I would expect that expansion to be sort of 'colonisation' themed, considering the missing civs in vanilla, and should include some cool real world scenarios. Probably new city state types as well. It could make me and many others cross over civ5 for good.

Alan, for every thing you can tell us that civ 2-4 lost from his predecesor, I'm sure we can tell you 4 things that civ5 lost from civ4

Top Bottom