1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

this game is boring

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mr_Wonka, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Clement

Clement Layman

Almost two months on and i'm really starting to miss stuff from Civ 4, i miss the way culture used to work, spreading out and making warmongers cities look rubbish, i miss the religions, i miss vassals, i miss international trade, i would have missed espionage had it been any good in the first place, other than war i just can't find anything else to do in this game, i miss the complexity that used to keep things interesting.

It's only due to mods that i'm even playing at all, i agree with the main title of this thread more with each day that passes.

2. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Wow. Way to sum it all up, man. :lol: It's kind of depressing how often we hear those exact responses around here. I don't blame anyone for enjoying the game (hey, more power to em!) but when the best you can say is something like "it could be worse" or "it has potential," that's what we call damning with faint praise.

And +5 Pepsi points for the Bill Hicks quote.

What mods are you playing with that make it more enjoyable? I haven't tried the Better Balance or Better Economy (?) mods, but I hear they can be helpful. Just wondering what other bored fans are using to make the game more engaging?

3. Clement

Clement Layman

I use 2 mods, if i want mainly balance changes i use Thalassicus collection of balance mods, if i feel like a tough challenge i fire up Slowpoke's Megamod, it's quite tough and has a more realistic approach, they both offer something fun and different.

there are of course many other cool mods out there but i have'nt tried them yet, perhaps someone else could wade in and say which ones they like :)

4. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Cool, thanks. May try and give those a shot next time I fire up the game - maybe after the next patch or so. I don't want to entirely give up on Civ5, but it's getting harder to keep trying it only to keep being disappointed. :p

Anyone else who isn't thrilled with the out-of-the-box condition of Civ5 find specific mods that make the game feel more engaging? I'm hoping to get some more feedback on this, but if I start a new thread it'll probably just get locked.

5. SidMeierGroupy

SidMeierGroupy Chieftain

The rubbish that is 'Civ 5' is so blatantly coming out in the wash now. I remember when the *cough* 'game' was first released and people with ligitimate criticism were being insulted and there were ridiculous excuses such as "people just like to whine when a new game comes out on how the previoius one was better."
    Well, no. Civ 5 is just a terrible, BORING, game.
    Good to see the average consumer still has sense, and the majority are using the Civ 5 CD as a coaster.

6. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

You can skip the past tense, there is still people parroting the same excuses non-stop these days.

7. markantony

markantony Warlord

Unistalled. Returning to Civ BTS. Hopefully Civ 6 will be a Civilization game, not a Blitzkreig game with minimal empire building.

8. Civgeek

Civgeek Warlord

I tried to use my Civ 5 CD as a coaster, but it keep telling me I had to login to Steam before I could do so. Then when I said screw it, I paid for you, I'll use you as a coaster if I like, they came to my house and took all my coffee away!

9. LordTC

LordTC Warlord

I actually like Civ 5 somewhat, but I've also been playing a bit of Civ I lately. There are things I like from both. Basically I think the map layout of Civ V is greatly improved graphically, and hexes were a long time coming, but the social policy tree replacing governments is terrible, especially with the new change that isn't going to let you save up policies.

I don`t think this product is a total piece of crap, but I kind of wish I didn`t buy it. On the other hand the UI was easy enough and the game was simple enough that I got my girlfriend introduced to Civ when she`s not really a computer gamer, and she likes it a lot, so maybe we just have to face that if we want a rich complicated immersive environment we need to play a mod, the vanilla gaming experience needs to be accessible and comfortable for people who have never played Civ before.

Some of the mods for Civ 5 actually make the game quite interesting.

Also Civ 5 is much better than Civ 4 (comparing both games in unexpanded, unmodded form with patches up to similar times of release). Yes its not a finished game, that`s typical these days in the gaming industry, at least they are trying to balance it (which they suck at). But I`d rather they release a game that`s functional with the bad design and the Civ5SDK early and let the modders have at it, than hold on to the game until its heavily tested (say 2 more patch iterations) and if you don`t like vanilla you have to wait even longer for mods.

10. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Warlord

I really agree with this statement. I think CiV lost that key component with the new development.

11. markantony

markantony Warlord

I don`t recall Civ4 boring me to tears.

12. gingerbill

gingerbill Prince

my thought exactly .

13. markantony

markantony Warlord

He didn`t say that.

14. Derax

Derax Chieftain

They should have called it CIv Rev 2 and brought it out for the Console generation in the first place. Than no one would be pissed. I really really miss Civ 4 features. :blush:

What I have done now is I have uninstalled it(so I do not waste any time looking at the new mods section every 2 days :rolleyes: ) and will wait for Christmas and see if there are any remarkable changes. If not than I guess i return to Civ 4 :cool:

15. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

Pretty mach all Blizzard games sold in very good state.

In my time playing them, Diabolo 1-2, warcraft 3, star-craft 1-2 all were realized in pretty good state. Some balancing, improvements were done later, but core of the game was solid.

The same could be sad about civ 4.

From RPG, oblivion was sold in pretty good state. Dragon age - can not complain.
    All Total war games - pretty good state.

List going on.. Civ V is so big trow back, I feel like it is year 1995 all over again.

16. clixor

clixor Chieftain

Fallout - new vegas? playable from release. Sure there were some very minor bugs, but no 1hour long load times.

ontopic: I haven't touched Civ5 after a few games. Long turn waiting times etcetc. makes it just not enjoyable to play.

17. charon2112

charon2112 King

I have way, way more trouble with New Vegas than Civ 5. FNV crashes, there's graphical glitches, people that I need to talk to for a quest aren't where they're supposed to be...civ V, no trouble at all.

18. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

On behalf of the community, may I ask you to inform Firaxis about this?

They are reported to currently drowning lots of money for obviously unneeded patches. It would be very helpful, if said patches would not have to be finalized, so that they can save some money.

19. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

Where are the patches? Game needs a lot of work and they have done nothing yet as far as I am concerned.

20. charon2112

charon2112 King

I'm not saying that bugs don't exist, just that I haven't experienced any... *knock wood*. I think it may have crashed to desktop once. But that's it.

The first major patch was pretty good, the coming one looks really good, they add a lot to diplomacy. I'm very curious to see what people come up with to complain about as the developers add stuff to the game to fix the complainers "issues". I'm thinking font color, maybe. Or perhaps they don't like the statue on the main screen, too console-ish. :) People like that will always find things to complain about.