this game is boring

Respect to those of you who managed 100+ hours before realising CiV was not for them.

Once I finally got the game working (can't run in fullscreen on my 2560x1600 monitor), I managed a 5 hour session, a 2 hour session armed with advice from CivFanatics and few half-hearted starts.

I can't get over the fact the terrain doesn't seem to matter (hence city placement is irrelevent), I can't build roads everywhere (so movement is tedious), the buildings are largely irrelevent etc. The CS just piss me off, but I can't ignore them.

CiV just bores me.

I've never thought about what it is I enjoy about Civ IV, but I'M A BUILDER AND I'M PROUD.

I've played more Civ IV BTS this weekend just past than I have played CiV total.

I've set a calendar appointment for 1 years time to remind me to try it again (I hope the Steam doomsayers are proven wrong & I can still play it!).

I'm enjoying the recently released BloodBowl (Legendary edition), and I think for my Civ fix I'll try the 'Rise of Man' mod mentioned above.

Good luck and best wishes to all the people who do like CiV - you bug test & balance test it to death so I can play the new improved CiV next year.

At age 59, I am a long term CIV fan starting with Civ2. Civ5 is such a major departure from the Franchise I have come to know and like. It should not be called CIV...Call it "Risk Wannabe". I feel betrayed...it is like waking up in the morning and expecting to see my beautiful bride of 33 years and instead I find the 250 lb. version of Kelly LeBrock.

Come on Firaxis...Come on Sid...bring back the Kelly LeBrock we know and love!!

At age 59, I am a long term CIV fan starting with Civ2. Civ5 is such a major departure from the Franchise I have come to know and like. It should not be called CIV...Call it "Risk Wannabe". I feel betrayed...it is like waking up in the morning and expecting to see my beautiful bride of 33 years and instead I find the 250 lb. version of Kelly LeBrock.

Come on Firaxis...Come on Sid...bring back the Kelly LeBrock we know and love!!

Ironically enough, this all says more about you than it ever could about Firaxis and Civ.

Ironically enough, this all says more about you than it ever could about Firaxis and Civ.

C'mon, man. That's a little too personally insulting to be considered constructive discussion, isn't it? I can understand getting a little hot under the collar if someone's arguing with you personally, but you're just sniping at someone else because of their opinion about a video game. You're better than that. ;)

Really. Would you care to elaborate further? Because from my intrepretation from your comment in regards to his post, it comes periously close to age discrimination.

C'mon, man. That's a little too personally insulting to be considered constructive discussion, isn't it? I can understand getting a little hot under the collar if someone's arguing with you personally, but you're just sniping at someone else because of their opinion about a video game. You're better than that. ;)

Nope, more on their opinion on overweight people, and if his wife ever became overweight. :)

I haven't purchased CiV and I have been checking in here often to help me make a decision. I got into CivIII and played a lot, and played tons of CivIV and still do. I can't offer an opinion on how boring the latest version is or isn't. I think the poster who mentioned that people's tastes change over time is correct. I have always enjoyed lurking succession games and was disappointed to see a number of avid CivIII players drop away when CivIV came out. And I'm seeing the same thing now, maybe more so. I think there are those that invest heavily in the game they love and then when things change, they are not willing to change their playstyle to accomodate the new version. Others are more inclined to roll with the changes and make the adjustments necessary to be able to enjoy the latest itteration. There will be a new crop of terrific players to come along, but right now, the Community has lost it's sense of, well, community.

For me, since CivV came out there has been such a majority of unhappy CivIV players, and I suspect I would be among them. That doesn't make this a bad game necessarily, just so different that many can't make the leap and be satisfied. I don't like that it appears that the developers turned their backs, in such a profound way, on what made this series great, but if they are happy with their bottom line, then I guess that's all that matters, at least to them. I'll hold on to my cash and see how it goes, but right now I can't see me buying this game in it's current state.

Shall we get back on topic without "phat" metaphors, which I was not consciously doing?? The game is boring, you can spend turn after turn just hitting next with nothing to do. With Civ4, there was always something to tweak or experiment with. This game is just not a CIV!

i only spent 17 hours playing the game. i hated most of the stuff in that game. the positives is the hex shape, city bombard ability, ranged attack. everything else i just hate. even the one unit per tile.

The best way to play CIV V IMHO is the following: Duel Map, no barbarians or city states, just ONE AI. Start in Modern Era.

That gets you early to the best weapons including nuclear missiles and atom bombs.

Its exciting on every move and turns go zippo. Less AI's mean real fast turns.

I like playing the USA versus the AI as Arabia. Then every turn is like reading the real world headlines as I nuke Damascus, etc. LOL.

So far I've got 119 hours in of SHEER ENJOYMENT. America has the hitech and the Arabs have huge manpower on the Imperial AI Level which I use.

Only downside with this scenario: extreme will power must be used to stay away from Civ V for a few days to do other things.

I've clocked in 52 hours. I haven't played in in 2-3 weeks. The game is emotionless like another poster pointed out. its as stale as sh*t.

I feel like I'm just going through the motions when I start the game up. The turn speed isn't as fast as civ4, so that kills my momentum. production is lame and the AI diplomacy is dumb.

The best way to play CIV V IMHO is the following: Duel Map, no barbarians or city states, just ONE AI. Start in Modern Era.

That gets you early to the best weapons including nuclear missiles and atom bombs.

Umm ... if that's the best way to play Civ5, than I indeed have absolutely no reason to play it. I enjoy Civ games the most when playing on super-huge maps, with 30+ rival civilizations, and on very slow speed, to appreciate every era to its fullest. This creates the feeling of actively participating in a complex alternative world history as it unfolds. I think in 19 years of playing Civ games, I only played 5 games on the smallest maps, and I never played a map with only a single opponent. It would be pointless for me, what's interesting about a world history with only two nations on a small island?

Of course, if you draw your enjoyment from nuking Damascus, then there's little overlap in our preferred playstyles. ;) This might also explain why you are enjoying a game that I found rather boring so far.

I've clocked in 52 hours. I haven't played in in 2-3 weeks. The game is emotionless like another poster pointed out. its as stale as sh*t.

I feel like I'm just going through the motions when I start the game up. The turn speed isn't as fast as civ4, so that kills my momentum. production is lame and the AI diplomacy is dumb.

You need to think about it differently. This is a new direction in the series, after all. It's your fault for having such unreasonable expectations. ;)

(I'm totally kidding. No offense intended, just making some jokes in good humor. Hopefully it gets patched and modded soon!)

I like playing the USA versus the AI as Arabia. Then every turn is like reading the real world headlines as I nuke Damascus, etc. LOL.

So far I've got 119 hours in of SHEER ENJOYMENT. America has the hitech and the Arabs have huge manpower on the Imperial AI Level which I use.

Only downside with this scenario: extreme will power must be used to stay away from Civ V for a few days to do other things.

Ahahah. Indeed.
Sarcasm is our friend :lol:

Well that interesting, and I can kind of see why that could be a bit fun. Essentially, you've turned CiV into a completely tactical game. Or perhaps more fairly Firaxis did that for us and you've found the best way to enjoy it.

I think that, for those of you who rushed to buy (not I), that this approach might help you get some value out of your purchase where you otherwise don't feel you're getting.

In a way, your post both provides a way to have fun with CiV but also completely highlights what everyone else is complaining about; no strategy.

PS: I did assume that you were being serious! Its so hard to read sarcasm from text.

Top Bottom