This is Annoying (Connecting to Internet)

Wolfe Tone

Which Way Did He Go?
A lot of the times I try to connect to the internet the program dials but all I get is a weird beeping noise (like an engaged tone but not) Sometimes I manage to get passed the weird beeping It gets to authenticating and a message comes up

The connection has been terminated by remote computer (or something to that effect)

I only manage to get connected after many attempts and it does get infuriating.
Does anyone have any idea on what is wrong?

My ISP is TinyOnline. It can happen at any time of the day but it is especially annoying around 2030-2130 GMT

Same type of thing happens to me. It's like a ritual now.
1) Connect. Do stuff....eventually get booted after a few hours.
2) Attempt to reconnect 1. Wierd beeps and dialing. Error message reads "Remote computer is not responding. Redialing in 60 seconds."
3) Attempt to reconnect 2. 60 seconds pass, or I hit reconnect. Instant error. "There is a hardware failure with the modem."
4) Attempt to reconnect 3. 60 seconds pass, or I hit reconnect. Connects. Usually at 44kbps+ lately!!

And sometimes that dumbass woman comes onto the line and says 'Service is not available, Service is not available.' This makes me so Mad :mad: I have one message to the damn ISP :midfinger

No DSL or cable ISP avail in your area Wolfe? I went to dial up for a few weeks a little while ago and couldn't stand it. I have been spoiled by cable internet.

To cornmaster and Wolfe Tone. I would suggest replacing and/or checking your Internet Adapter. Mine got shocked a while back and it still "worked" but I was having similar problems to those you experience. I got a new one and now I connect first try every time. :D

Originally posted by PaleHorse76
No DSL or cable ISP avail in your area Wolfe? I went to dial up for a few weeks a little while ago and couldn't stand it. I have been spoiled by cable internet.

Unfortunatley not. I live way out in the country and the nearest place that you can get it is around 40 miles away. I could do with a better connection. Even if was available in my area I very much doubt I would be able to afford it

Switching to DSL won't change much you know PH. I do have a DSL connection and quite often I too get disconnected! Either the DSLAM has too much clients, or there must be some problems with my phone line. But I doubt. Actually DSL is supposed to be a permanent connection. My foot! :) I get disconnected like any simple dial up user. The only ways are:
_ cable. They're not using copper line so no risk
_ rent a wireless T1 ;) like a friend did. $45 for people working for the company, much more expensive for the other :) But you will have a leased line, with guaranteed throughput. T1.

Oh btw, I heard that there were new fiber optics by French manufacturer Alcatel, that allower 1.2+ Tbits/s. That's equal to 2000 cd roms transmitted in one second :D I won't mind having such a line at home. But the HD won't be fast enough.

Top Bottom