1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Throne Room?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Verkinix, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I second the good point to mjs0. Even some change in the diplomacy screen would be nice - CivIII had one change per era, CivIV could also have this (though granted it wouldn't be as accurate due to the less rigid eras).

2. Olleus

Olleus Deity

The music changes slightly per era.

3. mitsho

mitsho Deity

It'd be very cool.

CTP had an entire city (a temple, a fountain, a palace and another building) to modernise and that changed with each era as well (you automatically got all upgrades through the eras).

Apart from that, why not have something to incorporate one's own strength etc. I wouldn't mind that idea ;)

4. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Yes, bring back the throne room!
    And I really miss those civ2 advisers too.

5. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Things a ThroneRoom/Palace/Capital City could demonstrate
    1. Military Successes (Defeated Civs)
    2. Technological Prowess
    3. Trade Goods (ones that you have in abundance ie 2-3 or more)
    4. Top Cultural Level (based on your top 1 + lowest of top 3 cities)

6. dutchking

dutchking Deity

I want an expanded palace! Like Civ III, and the throne room too. That would be cool, I'd have a plasma tv and everything... :lol: :goodjob:

7. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Please god no. It was a dumbass feature and slowed the game while adding nothing of value.

If you HAVE to add it for some godforsaken reason, make it disable-able.

8. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

They were always disable-able... dis-able... dis--- oh, whatever...

9. Virulent

Virulent King

I remember the throne room in Civ II. I can't have been the only person who either upgraded the chair first so you ended up with a fancy throne in the middle of a cave or upgraded the chair last so you had an opulent room with a big rock in the middle.

10. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Disabubble. Come on, everyone knows that word.

11. El Koeno

El Koeno Emperor

Great idea!

12. Scrooge

Scrooge Baa Humbug

I'd love to see throne room back - it brought a sense of achievement - especially if it'd look as good as in the screenshot above

I'd love to see it as a diplomacy room which gives an idea of how advanced/rich/military your opponents are

13. winddbourne

winddbourne Prince

Exactly this could be very cool in diplomacy, and a "Brag/shame" option in multiplayer.

14. NYHunter

NYHunter King

Throne Rooms/Palace kind of helped make you feel as if you were a leader. Civ IV currently does not compete with the previous versions in terms of making you like a leader. Even though Civ IV is the best game in terms of a lot of things, it doesn't have that feel that you are ruling over a great civilization that Civ II and III does, in my opinion anyway, I understand others disagree.

15. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

I liked it, but if it came down to throne room or REAL content, id rather have content, but if it could be spliced in without removing anything, it would be nice.

I remember in Call to Power where when you "completed" the room comes the palace, etc. and in later eras came more modern designs, even a spaceship room at the diamond age.

16. winddbourne

winddbourne Prince

It's the flair that does it . . in previous civilizations you had different building styles, advisors, the throne room, the palace, we love the king day was bigger, etc . . .

In civ IV we have UU and UB but they don't . . . they don't feel unique. And they vanish when you conquer a city. So you lose the sense of history that conquering "Spain" and having all it's strange buildings in that "area" alone would give.

Also you used to be (in civ II) able to choose your city style and have china with american pyrimid archetecture, then change all the names, etc . . . and pretend like your playing some different civiliztion.

But at that time ALL the differences between civs were just flair. It didn't matter, except for the sheer fun of being different that game.