Tip: Wait for expansion or atleast a couple of patches, in the meanwhile...

alvan

Chieftain
Just follow my example on how to pass the time:

Spoiler :

Disclaimer: This is not an attempt to troll, but I know alot of people are discontent with the way the Civ-franchise been taking so its a genuine expression on how to re-live those awesome gaming moments yet again. The only thing I'll miss is propably the Hex, but we'll see.

I don't think I can ever go back to civ4. I will miss hexes, social policies, limited strategic resources, 1upt, unique leader abilities and many other things too much.

But have fun.

Just a remark about your disclaimer: I dont think a lot of people are dissatisfied with the direction the Civ franchise has gone. I think a vocal minority are dissatisfied, and the quiet majority are loving the game still. I would be one of the latter.

Yes, there are a few issues with this one right now (as with any new release). But from what I see in the preview patch notes, I have no doubt that Firaxis will be addressing these quickly and very soon we'll have a quite polished example of the Civ series. And I dont think I will ever play Civ IV again (and it was the best in the series - til now).

I'm already back to playing Civ V lol. Seems like the only things i truly missed are the significantly better looking rivers, and Religion. ;)

My sentiments pretty much echo the OP.. I was a little dismayed at first in getting used to the game, then it was briefly intriguing, now it feels like its missing so many little essential pieces that it was released incomplete. BTS was highly polished, I think Civ V could be too after some mods, patches, or expansion.

For me, it just lost it's "empire" feel. It became more strategic in terrain, but not so much in land itself. Tiles in resource yields are almost inconsequential next to their strategic combat bonuses. Civ IV offers more of the former than the latter, with V targeting a few uber-city settled-cities and a botnet of puppet/city states. The new warfare is great until you finally want a challenge. The best you'll get is when AI dogpiles lots of melee units. Even then, it's so atrocious how it uses them that I would rather go crawling back to stack-warfare. :S

Every poll I have seen so far shows a (sometimes overwhelming) majority of people enjoy Civ5. That said, some people obviously don't. Your sad attempt at being clever will be lost on most people though, and this thread will be locked (or moved) as soon as a mod sees it. Go back to the game you've been playing for 5 years and have fun, nobody here cares.

i suggest that such a course is better then whining

here is my image for those that refuse to move on

Attachments

• png3.jpg
    png3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 217
Oh wait why play Civ IV: BTS and not the original Civ IV, without any of the expansions, by itself?

I agree. I like where Civ 5 is going, but I am going to wait this out. Civ IV was nice in the beginning, but I wasn't too into it until BtS. Then it was CivObsession.

Just a remark about your disclaimer: I dont think a lot of people are dissatisfied with the direction the Civ franchise has gone. I think a vocal minority are dissatisfied, and the quiet majority are loving the game still. I would be one of the latter.

Yes, there are a few issues with this one right now (as with any new release). But from what I see in the preview patch notes, I have no doubt that Firaxis will be addressing these quickly and very soon we'll have a quite polished example of the Civ series. And I dont think I will ever play Civ IV again (and it was the best in the series - til now).

Thats "Soon (tm)" which propably mean; next month or next year.

My biggest problems with the game so far:
AI is ******ed, completly. I want to win the game and feel that I have beaten something. This has nothing to do about balance issues (like nerfing horses) or playing on cheat-mode (King and +, so that the AI is crawling with units) - its a fundamental change on how they USE the units to their advantage.
Religion - Propably the biggest influance on culture and civilizations; gone and implemented into the game through one social policy that can (and should, Rationalism is OP) be skipped.
Slowdown - Maybe its my box thats the problem, its like 1,5 years old, but I pass the Recommended Requierments. Still I cant play the game passed ~1000 AD because I spend way more time waiting for the next turn then actually playing.
Incomplete - The game was clearly released incomplete to pass the deadline set by companies that only cares about selling copies and not making a good game. I have no doubt that the real developers of Civ love what they're doing and they want to make a great game. However, I dont think they should slave 24/7 to get a game working withing a certain date. If Civ5 was released in 6 months instead, giving the developers more time to refine a concept (that may well work) I have no doubt that I would be more content about this.

But as you said it yourself. They will fix it "soon". But Im not sticking around playing a beta version since I already payed for it (preordered collectors edition, guess Im the sucker, right?). No, I will play something that I actually enjoy instead and wait, and that was the whole point of this thread. I dont mean to troll, I dont mean to flame and I certainally dont mean to whine. I was being cute in my expression on how awesome BtS is and how much of a trainwreck Civ5 is. Did you guys who love Civ5 even play BtS????

Also its perfectly sensible to compare BtS to Civ5. Both are official releases (right?) and I also payed good money for both. I expect that when I buy a product that it will be complete and ready to use, why do people say "But its the original game, its not supposed to be good - its supposed to be flawed and crappy so that you will want to wait for patches and expansions!"

What makes you think there will even be expansion packs? With Steam and DLC now in the picture, it seems more likely imo that they will release all the features that otherwise would have been in an expansion pack one-by-one. Consequently, gamers will end up paying several times as much for the equivalent of an expansion pack because they will have to purchase expansion pack features piecemeal. They've already started doing it with the Babylonia and Mongolia DLC's.

I tried going back to 4 just to see if it indeed compared so unfavorably . . . I like some things about it, but ultimately I think I prefer 5 to the extent I won't be able to play more than a game or so of 4.

Top Bottom