[C3C] Tips and tricks request thread/knowledge sharing

Creating a tips and tricks thread for modders. Just so that there is another data point for google to latch onto when you're looking for some topic C3C related. :)

Here is my question.

I'm working on a mod where I want to create unit and building descriptions very very quickly and with minimal effort. What is the fastest and efficient way of doing this? I dread having to open the pedia text file in notepad and typing for ever after searching through mountains of text. Even if I copy paste from a word doc there is still the challenge of organizing all the units and building descriptions.

I'm working on a mod where I want to create unit and building descriptions very very quickly and with minimal effort. What is the fastest and efficient way of doing this? I dread having to open the pedia text file in notepad and typing for ever after searching through mountains of text. Even if I copy paste from a word doc there is still the challenge of organizing all the units and building descriptions.

What I do is simply creating template with #PRTO/BDLG_ and then a #DESC_PRTO/BLDG below it and empty space in-between or with multiple "^" symbol to create a margin at the top of an article. I multiply this template, until it is about the number of entries I need. This way I only have to add unit entry name and info on page. It doesn't take much time for me even with large number of entries. I am pretty sure there are some programs and online-services out there which can make process even faster by, for example, transforming pediaicons entries, but I just don't feel I need them.
By the way, another quick way is create pediaicons file first, fill it with #ICON_PRTO templates the way I described above, including path lines. Then fill every unit entry, but don't fill exact path, leaving only in template. Then, in civilopedia file, automatically replace each #ICON_PRTO_ with #PRTO_ and after that each path template, e.g. art/civilopedia/icons/units.pcx with #DESC_PRTO_. After that one will only need to copy unit names from #PRTO_ to #DESC_PRTO_. It can save some time too,

Keep a sheet next to you.
Add building requires:

Add unit requires:

Etc.
Then just focus on one part (units/buildings/wonders/...)
By opening all txt and pcx files that you need and fill it all in.
Then move to the next phase (buildings/resources/...) and again open everything you need.

"Mistakes and wasted time happens when you go from one point of focus to another."
(Some dude, probably)

I keep tweaking units, buildings, and setting in my mod in order to put off having to deal with the headache that is the Civilopedia. Hahaha

This was made a looooong time ago, and I've not used it myself ( :think: ) BUT:

MarineCorp’s "#ANIMNAME_PRTO Text Entry Creater v2.0" might be worth a look.

Spoiler MarineCorp's Work :
Tired of creating all those #ANIMNAME_PRTO entries by hand? Well my program will make adding units much easier. To put it simply what my program does is create those entries for you all you need to do is input the file path where your units folders are located and my program will create those entries and allow you to cut and paste it into the pediaicons text file. You can either do it en masse or create only a single entry.

From nearly as long ago, there's Steph’s “CEC : Civilipedia Editor for Civilization III” - which, sorry once again, I've never used.

Spoiler Steph :
The tool reads an existing Civilipedia.text file, and then you can navigate in the different chapters and entries, edit them, add or delete entries...

You might get a malware warning for this site (I run 6 layers of security, and only AdGuard has "objected") but Steph's ancient site is clean.

- Oh, and please do let me know if either of these work!

:D

I haven't seen this one mentioned in the forum (or I couldnt find it), but if you mess around with unit experience levels, in particular it seems if you set veteran units to have max 3 health, en par with regulars, (normally it is 4), units will no longer be able to heal outside of cities. I actually really like this, except that the ai will fortify all over the place practically forever.

On the otherhand, if you want to make it so regulars dont gain hp on level up but without the no healing bug you just need to increase all the experience levels (make regulars and vets both have 4 health at base) while decreasing them as per the units bonus/minus health stat within their respective units tab.

Im experimenting with flintlock's "all units can retreat" flag, with regular's having a 50% chance of retreating and veterans a 66% chance, making the barracks substancially less powerful but nontheless still useful. Elites still receive a bonus hp while having an 80% chance at retreat, but this can be played around with.

A further interesting point of notice is if you also play with flintlock's "no trespassing borders" option, the random ai fortified units further enhance that effect of limited terrain access.

Another: A spreadsheet with everything side-by-side -
  • Units
  • Imp/SW/GW
  • Worker Jobs
  • Techs ...
Now, make sure that they all line up together technologically AND chronologically.

For an example, here's a typical one of mine, showing two mini-Tech Trees diverging from Steam (note: as is often the case in Tech Trees, the chronology is "bottom-up") -

TECH 1TECH 2UNITSIMP/SW/GWWORKER JOBS
EARLY COMBUSTIONSTEAM TANKS
TELEGRAPHBUILD RR
CITY GAS LIGHTINGPOLICE STATION
KEROSENEKEROSENE REFINERY
STEAMGREAT FORGE(Doubles Rate of Workers)

Note that the Tech Tree isn't complete. Nonetheless:
  1. "STEAM" allows the building of the SW "GREAT FORGE," and Doubles Rate of Workers*
  2. From STEAM, one track ultimately leads to KEROSENE; the other to TELEGRAPH.
  3. "KEROSENE" allows building the SW "KEROSENE REFINERY" (use your imagination)
  4. The "KEROSENE track" then leads to "CITY GAS LIGHTING" which allows building POLICE STATIONS.
  5. CITY GAS LIGHTING (ultimately) leads to the Tech "EARLY COMBUSTION" which allows building "STEAM TANKS" **
  6. STEAM's second track leads to the TELEGRAPH, which enables the Worker Job "BUILD RR." *
* Early Steam RR Engines were mostly used in mining, and required Telegraphs to coordinate long distance movement.
** The US Army was experimenting with kerosene-powered steam-driven tanks up through 1919.

Top Bottom