Tips for my first PBEM game

Cyborg T

Chieftain
I am an old fan of civ4 and a reasonably strong player in singleplayer (I play deity).
I have never tried any multiplayer game.
I think I could enjoy some PBEM games.
The problem is that I have no idea how to play against human opponents.
Are there any good walkthroughs for such noobs?

You have pretty good tips at the War Academy.

I must say that I never won in Deity and I believe to be an average multiplayer gamer (even won a few games). So I think you'll probably do well.

When you play SinglePlayer you get used that your opponents play similarly (specially in terms of military tactics). It's a shock when you start playing Multiplayer, because you get a wide variety of tactics that you were not used to. And some you did not even think about before! :eek:

For instance, I've learned how to use the Civic switch spying option only during MPP games.

And the word "diplomacy" takes a whole new meaning in MPP games. It open up endless possibilities, both in the good way as in the bad one!!!

With NTT and no deity trde partners, teching takes way longer, so cottages and science/gold multipliers are somewhat better. Well, depends if you need the tech or can win earlier.

2 movers are better than in SP, since AI defends with spreading troops rather equally in cities. Humans otoh tend to concentrate their defenses more and backlines are often weak.

If you're on deity you should do well in pbems here.

Then there are some obvious things like farmers gambit or aggressive settling tends to be called more often than in sp and game leaders can get dogpiled. Good diplo can help with these.

Top Bottom