1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TJS1 -- Going on the Pill-age

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by tjs282, Mar 24, 2017.

1. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

Once again, the XenForo Alerts failed -- glad I checked the thread directly for updates...

Hooray! Congratulations Robbus, and I hope Emperor-level is now at least slightly less intimidating for you!

Thanks to everyone (players, lurkers, old Uncle Tom Cobbley and all) for taking part.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  2. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Good job everyone! Any win on Emperor before 1000 AD with a not-so-good start position like we had, is indeed an achievement! :thumbsup:

I assume that Carthage was already a bit more advanced, but Osmania was a bit backward. Otherwise we might have gotten even more?!

3. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

I had not actually done much in the way of naval invasions in my games, so this was a good experience for me in that area, but also learning better expansion properly, since when I understood civ3's mechanics more, I never actually went back and did an efficient growth start. I see that fast government change and the placement of granaries is very crucial if you want to expand well.

4. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

After fiddling around with some always war games, I took a look back at this. The capital could have ended up a rather productive place for a long stay in despotism, which ends up something likely to happen on the highest levels without always war. Basically, the capital could have produced ten shields growing to size 5 and to size 7, for a 10 turn settler-military production combo factory. You only need 4 bonus production squares for this and one forest that you can keep around. The build order can be something like the following:

Starting from growing from size 4 to 5, an archer. One archer at size 5. Another archer growing from size 5 to 6. Another archer at size 6. Then a settler, for 4 archers and a settler (or some spears thrown in there). Then starting at size five, 2 archers. An archer which starts size 5. Then a settler (which puts the city back at size 4 ready to grow in one turn for another 10 shields on the way). So, that's 7 archers/spears/catapults and 2 settlers in 21 turns.

I think later combinations might work out by doing something like two swordsmen/horseman, a catapult, a settler, and a swordsman/horseman, two catapults, and a second settler, for three swordsmen/horsemen, three catapults, and a settler in 21 turns.

Looking back also, start three could have produced 10 shields per turn at size 5 out of despotism with 3 extra food per turn. That makes for 3 turn growth with a granary and emphasize production on, still getting 10 shields every turn. That's a simple 6 turn swordsmen/horsemen-settler factory combo.

robbus likes this.