1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TM 01 - The alphabet games - America

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by namliaM, Mar 21, 2006.

1. MailMan

MailMan delivering

got it.
    I will look at the save and play in about 12 hours.

My thoughts from the current info:
    I think I will go for bronze working, build another worker using a chop, than some archers for defense against barbs.

From the current pic, I would place the second city N NE of the archer to grab wheat and corn with obelisk.
    placing a city too far will cost us more gpt, so we should look for grabbing close resources if possible.

2. Burglar

Burglar Chieftain

that's fine.
    corn and wheat or wheat and cow.
    Bronze Working is good for chopping and pop rushing.
    I would have done it the same way.

As for the buildings I have no idea. Archers sounds good. And if settler is finished maybe completing barracks before, as I built them for 2 turns and hammers don't get lost so early.

3. rddc05

rddc05 Warlord

Here is a map with possible city placement.

With all the food resources and grassland tiles we appear to have in our area, I think a Pyramids with Caste System/Representation would be a good early game strategy. But we will need to jump on that stone pretty quickly to get it. 5-6 chops is all it will take with stone and our industrious trait.

Attached Files:

4. SkunkDoctor

SkunkDoctor 1 turn at a time.

If we have stone, we should build the pyramids. It is by far the best early wonder. I don't want to go wonder happy, but if we have a chance to build it I think it would be silly not to. I think we have not just a chance but a near lock on it if we get started ASAP. The benefits will more than make up for the maintenance/chance of being settled near. I would hit Wheel, while building a settler. have a guarded worker road up to city site. Depending on how long the road will take to build we could either hit BW in the interim, or go straight to Masonry then BW. Just my 2 cents, but I'd rather take that lock than that risk.

5. MailMan

MailMan delivering

Turn 45 (2200 BC)
    MailMan: nothing much to do - everything looks OK

Turn 46 (2160 BC)
    MailMan: barb warrior showed up from the north
    MailMan: move our warrior to face the barbs
    MailMan: camp finished

Turn 47 (2120 BC)
    MailMan: use the worker to road a hill to help the settler get to the new location faster
    Tech learned: Pottery
    Hinduism has spread: London (English Empire)

Turn 48 (2080 BC)
    Research begun: Bronze Working
    MailMan: just noticed that we are playing on normal speed - that means that we will have much less fightings

Turn 49 (2040 BC)
    MailMan: Wow - our state religion was spread to England and she converted

Turn 50 (2000 BC)
    Washington finishes: Settler

Turn 51 (1960 BC)
    Washington begins: Archer

Turn 52 (1920 BC)
    Archer defeats (2.16/3): Barbarian Lion

Turn 53 (1880 BC)
    New York founded
    New York begins: Obelisk
    MailMan: our first city is founded and already connected to the capital
    MailMan: Our trade route already include Viki, saladin and monti

Turn 54 (1840 BC)

Turn 55 (1800 BC)
    Tech learned: Bronze Working
    Washington grows: 5

Turn 56 (1760 BC)
    Research begun: Writing
    MailMan: we learn bronze working. our nearest source is near the stone. after the archer is done I will build a settler to send there
    Washington finishes: Archer

Turn 57 (1720 BC)
    Washington begins: Settler
    Judaism founded in a distant land

Turn 58 (1680 BC)
    Contact made: Malinese Empire
    MailMan: found Mansa

Turn 59 (1640 BC)

Notes: I played 15 turns to even us out (and because nothing really happend)
    There is an archer on the way the clear the fog from the proposed city site of the pink dot.

Attached Files:

6. rddc05

rddc05 Warlord

I got it, will play tonight. Quick question though, I thought we were playing 15 turns the 1st round? You still have 5 turns if you want them, Mailman. Or, should I take less than 20?

7. namliaM

namliaM Deity

Good set Mailman, to bad about Judaism would have been great to have 2 holy cities....
    Perhaps we can shoot for the moon, try for Theology in time for the settling of the stone/bronze city (good site, bronze, stone & on a river too)
    Having that city be holy will pop the borders like nothing else....

Does it matter if we are on even turns? Nah I dont care.... But if its like that... I dont mind either..

Pyramids sounds good too... If we can grab it... then do... Up and at em R2D2.... Uhm rddc for your 20 turns

Oh and about the city placement, moving the blue city one tile down (due to bronze beeing there) is just perfect by me, this would be city 3
    The green one I would like just 1 West I think tho this looks good too.
    The purple one is totaly resourceless.... and should go now 1 south at the least
    If we can, maybe found a city 'out there' to grab them gems and pigs due SW?

8. MailMan

MailMan delivering

@rddc05 - I already played 15 turns. I think that 15 for first round is ok since it is going fast.

I agree with namliaM on the changes to the city placements.

Please note that we can switch to slavery which I havn't done.
    We can do that either just after producing the settler, or when we have another civic that we want to adopt.

9. rddc05

rddc05 Warlord

Well, we had some good tech advance and decent expansion, but I'm starting to worry about our military. Finished the settler, chopped another worker and then chopped the Oracle in Washington, took Metal Casting for free tech (we get discounted forges as Roosevelt). Settled Boston at the agreed spot, hooked up corn, sent a worker down to develop New York. I didn't revolt to slavery because we will have caste system in 3 turns with Code of Laws (should let us found Confucianism too). My biggest mistake was not letting New York grow before starting that Worker, sorry about that.

I suggest we get some axes cranked out ASAP.

Here is the log:

Spoiler :

Turn 64 (1440 BC)

Turn 65 (1400 BC)
    Archer defeats (2.34/3): Barbarian Warrior

Turn 66 (1360 BC)
    Washington finishes: Settler
    New York finishes: Obelisk

Turn 67 (1320 BC)
    New York begins: Worker
    Washington begins: Worker

Turn 68 (1280 BC)

Turn 69 (1240 BC)
    Washington finishes: Worker

Turn 70 (1200 BC)
    Washington begins: The Oracle
    Boston founded
    Boston begins: Obelisk

Turn 71 (1160 BC)

Turn 72 (1120 BC)

Turn 73 (1080 BC)

Turn 74 (1040 BC)
    Washington grows: 6
    Scout loses to: Barbarian Warrior (1.16/2)

Turn 75 (1000 BC)
    Washington finishes: The Oracle

Turn 76 (975 BC)
    Tech learned: Metal Casting
    Washington begins: Forge
    New York's borders expand

Turn 77 (950 BC)

Turn 78 (925 BC)

Turn 79 (900 BC)

Screenie and Save:

Attached Files:

10. namliaM

namliaM Deity

Seems like a verry quiet turnset rddc, with the forge washington should turnout to me a nice producer :)

Roster
    - Burglar
    - Mailman
    - namliaM
    - rddc05 => Just played
    - SkunkDoctor => Up
    - SpriteSoda > On Deck

11. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Musketeer

dudes im sorry but i wont be able to play this week, so i need to be skipped=[

12. SkunkDoctor

Got it, but wont be able to play tonight probably. It is friday night, after all :mischief:. How long do I have?

If anyone else ( I forget who'd be up next since Sprite needs a skip) is around tonight and wants to take it, feel free. You can either move me next on the roster (I will be able to play tomorrow afternoon for sure) or give me a skip. Preferably though, I would like to get some turns in tomorrow.

:beer:

13. namliaM

namliaM Deity

Like I said, the standard 24/48 applies... So you have 3 days total... And likely a bit more...

So you have atleast something like 36 hours left from now (48 from your got it post...)

Any thoughts from anyone where to go from here?

14. rddc05

rddc05 Warlord

Here is an updated dot map for discussion. I like the pink dot location even though there are no resources because there are lots of grassland rivers=cottage commerce city.

Attached Files:

15. SkunkDoctor

Hmm ok I am about to take my turns, but that dot map makes me feel like a little discussion. I agree about pink dot, definitely a city site. But why not the whopping !5! resources in the NW? I doubt any AI will make pink dot a settling priority, so we got a lil time there. Also, stone for the pyramids? Gonna wait on my turnset, what do you guys think?

16. namliaM

namliaM Deity

Wow, good going rddc.

Blue city would be good, but isnt that a bit far away? As well as red...

Blue with the 2 cows and 2 wines and some hills to is a very nice city IF we can beat the AIs to it.

I dont really understand what is with the green things in the red city?
    Tobad about the grass hill we would be settling on, but moving 1 tile in any direction IMO would be bad....

Then skip the Purple for Now I guess and try to fill the gat due N and NW of New york? Atleast that grabs more resources?

The pruple city IMO should be on the other side of the river
    1) Exchanging 2 Plains for 2 Grass tiles
    1.5) Leaving behind a Hill for a grass tile
    2) Not settling on a forrest (Choplicious :) )
    3) Leaving more room for a city between blue and New York, which should be I think E-E-SE of the NY Wheat.

The 'new' city having like 7 hills in the BFC could become our Military production centre like there is no tomorrow.
    Also the Pig-Gem town maybe could do that, but we will need some farms in both to work all them hills. Little less in the Pig-Gem due to the food bonus of the pigs... But the trouble here is, its is not on a river... So we need to plan a bit for Farming there.

17. namliaM

namliaM Deity

I agree about the tempting location, but It is very near Saladin. Likely he has either taken it allready, or will do so soon.

The currently planned cities are verry takable and the pink one is near enough Viccy to be a likely (nearby) city target for her.

I would settle Blue and Red first, the 5 source town is nice... But if we have blue and red, all them resources will be double. Nice for trading, but double...

Oh and yep shoot for the piramids once we get stone connected (or a little before even?)

18. rddc05

rddc05 Warlord

About the green dots in the red area, that was me doing a sloppy edit when I messed up drawing the lines.

Agreed on moving pink dot one tile east, Namliam. If the Blue location is gone, perhaps we can still get wine and a wheat in a city to the North-Northwest of NY. Definitely scout it and see if it's possible to settle it though.
    The Gems would be very nice to have, but it is not a great city site other than the two resources. In the long run, pink dot city will be more useful to our empire than the red.

So, I leave it to SkunkDoctor to make the executive decision as to where to settle next, all are viable choices.

I think it is probably too late to get the Pyramids. We might be better served chopping out a Settler for Pink Dot building one for one of the other city sites. We will have courthouses in a few turns, so over-expansion is not a big concern.

19. namliaM

namliaM Deity

I agree on the Pyramids, but with some chops and stone we might still have a shot...

20. MailMan

MailMan delivering

I think that the blue city site is our next best spot.

Pyramids - I think we should build another worker from the capitol and send it to Boston. first job - connecting stone, next chopping all the wood outside the cities boundaries (since we are not going to use them in any city formation).
    Boston can start on the Pyramids right after it finish the obelisk.

Next order of business, connecting the copper and start the military build