To move or not to move - first city placement

fadeh

Chieftain
20170813125752_1.jpg

I'm playing as Romans [Immortal, Standard speed, Continent map standard size].
First of all, I had the warrior next to the settler and I moved it two tiles to the left because I thought that was the move that would maximize tile uncovering. What do you think about it? Would you have moved it another way?

The warrior uncovered another instance of sugar, pearls and also what I believe it's a natural wonder (Galapagos, maybe?). The first thought was: "good, that seem an awesome place for a second city", immediately followed by: "sure but that would be too damn close to the capital and if I place it further away, it will get many horsehockey tiles like desert and possibly non-bonus coasts".

So I thought about moving the settler two tiles to the left and plant the capital the next turn so that I can leave space to the right for the second city.

What do you think? Maybe there are better places I'm not considering.

Thank you

Last edited:
Settle in place... Then your second city can go on the left sugar tile. Indeed it is Galapagos on the left coast.

Moving the warrior in any other direction would not have uncovered anything, so no argument there. I would certainly settle in place. A plains hill to settle on plus a 3-1-1 fur tile in the first ring is a very nice start. Camps are crazy good tiles after Mercantilism now. Galapagos is nice when you get resources with it. I would get a second city out ASAP and settle on the plains adjacent to the pearls. Run God King and Agoge while pumping out units and teching to Iron Working super fast because of the 4 science tile. If you're lucky you'll also snag a good pantheon. If the map gives you any gold at all you'll be able to do a big Legion rush out of two cities no later than T40.

Since the consensus seemed to be "settle in place", that's what I did. I must say @stinkubus was right, I have been able to tech to Iron Working at around T40 even tho I couldn't upgrade all the warriors I had because I, probably mistakenly, bought a builder for the second city since it grew so fast I needed more amenities.

If you are growing fast enough to run into amenity problems with only your first two cities then you are also going to be against the housing cap, so you don't need to worry about getting more unless you are about to go to war. Once you start expanding those pops will take care of themselves. It's only a 5% penalty, and it might cost you half a cog in an early city. That's manageable, but not having gold to upgrade stinks.

I'll definitely settle next to the pearls. There're too much Science there, and Science is too valuable. (1Science~2Hammer in Civ6, especially in early game Science being more valuable.)

Last edited:
I'll definitely settle next to the pearls. There're too much Science there, and Science is too valuable.(1Science~2Hammer in Civ6)

Disagree in the early game. Production is king for military, and settlers. I might settle in place, then slinger/scout-----> settler

original question seems to be resolved already, but i'll answer anyway :)

i think i would settle in place and later put another city on the plains tile left of the warrior. that city doesn't need fresh water. it will build a harbor and work the science tiles adjacent to the natural wonder and that's about it. might grow it large enough for a second district, but not more. no conflict with the close capital since the coast city doesn't really need any of the inland tiles. might work a mine on the grasshill and/or the jungle hill for a while to get some production points, but it would mostly be there to work the water science tiles.

doesn't have to be the second city, either. that area is probably uncontested anyway and it has poor production, so it makes more sense to grab inland locations first that will block AI forward settling and can contribute more production sooner. maybe northwards in the desert area (if there is more than just flat desert) or beyond the hills east of the captial if there's another luxury to grab.

@Martin_K I do agree that's not an ideal place for a second city but if you settle in place and plant your second city somewhere else then the +4 science won't matter THAT much late in the game.
That's why I was proposing about moving the first city a little closer to the wonder and leave space on the right for a second, production powerhouse, city.

I'd settle in place then settle the 2nd city on the coastal plains tile between the pearls and sugar. That will let you build the bathhouse on the tile where the warrior is standing to get maximum benefit from it.

I will be different. I would settle on the Floodplains Cotton. The free Roman Monolith will pop borders to the sweet Galapagos tile super-soon and the crazy food will make for a beast of a capital. Grab the Swampy Lady pantheon and you'll have plenty of production.

Disagree in the early game. Production is king for military, and settlers
While I agree wholeheartedly with @Lily_Lancer ... I mean 4 science from on tile with a tradeable luxury. Also pyramids are possible but for me personally I see that flood plain and sugar and just thing of all those high pop city eurekas... enough hills around to make the city sustainable and late chopping the jungle has some value.
Early science ... I mean +4 for goodness sake, it's more than double extra what you produce at the beginning for many many turns.

I Always settle my city (including my first) based on expected future planning. If that requires me to move I move.
I can't care about a 1 turn delay if better yields save me 10+, 20+ turns throughout the course of a game.
I would settle in place and go for a early settler and then build on the coast for the Pearls and science boost. I really like harbour cities and if you can get to build Petra to the north you have all the elements for high food and production. The coastal city also has access to plenty of hills. Maybe even more to the north.

The capital city east would have enough Woods for chopping for early production and a quarry to get that settler out quikly.

Top Bottom