To Pre-Order or Not, THAT is the question!

Best way to buy...

• Pre-Order physical copy (Shipping)

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Download from Steam (Long download, alot of users)

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Go to store to buy (Maybe sold out)

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

wydon

Chieftain
Hello all,

I pre-ordered civ 5 in the expectations that the game will be shipped early and arrive at my house today. I have come to find out that the realease date is actually the shipping date. My question is specifically to the realease of civ 5 what is the quickest and best way to purchase this game? Any why? I'd like to not make the same mistake when civ 6 comes out :goodjob:

I pre-ordered from steam last night, i downloaded in at about 1.8mb/s it only took about an hour.

Though I feel a little guilty, as I don't like steam and would prefer to actually own a product I purchase. Whereas steam has the right to cut me off whenever they like, which would mean so long to my games...

Not that they would, but still, It's better to avoid giving people such advantages on you.

downloaded about an hour ago, probably took 30 minutes or less, so not very long for what 8gb? its 2010 get broadband.

hmpf, I thought you could not download it from steam until after 10, but i guess that is just when the game unlocks. I was thinking that there would be thousands of gamers downloading the game at 10 all at the same time which would kill download rates.

Preordered and Preloaded days ago from Steam. No waiting for overwhelmed servers with the rest of the plebs :D

But i would say that, my steam account is worth $1.5K plus xD I really don't get those paranoiacs who seem to think Valve is looking for an excuse to cut thier account off at every opportunity.

Best way to buy...

Download from Steam (Quick download, pre-load before release for no wait)

~
Where is that option? :confused: Not voting.

I pre-ordered from steam last night, i downloaded in at about 1.8mb/s it only took about an hour.

Though I feel a little guilty, as I don't like steam and would prefer to actually own a product I purchase. Whereas steam has the right to cut me off whenever they like, which would mean so long to my games...

Not that they would, but still, It's better to avoid giving people such advantages on you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if you buy the physical copy of Civ V, you still need Steam in order to run the game. So like it or not, Steam owns you. Or all of us, rather :(

Pre-ordering is fine for digital download. However, if you want the hardcopy then NEVER pre-order if you in live in a major city where you have multiple stores to choose from. Pre-orders can get royally messed up and you can actually be delayed by a couple of days. Much better off just calling around and have them reserve a copy for you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if you buy the physical copy of Civ V, you still need Steam in order to run the game. So like it or not, Steam owns you. Or all of us, rather :(

You are correct about the hardcopy. The advantage with the hardcopy is you only need to download steam and can quickly install the game. With a full digital download install it can take you a very long time to download.

Top Bottom