To The Great Beyond - Space Empires!

Okay.

My wife suggested we call the new aliens "wascally wabbits".

I'm gonna go with Lagomid. Their planet will be called Lagimae.

We wont be renaming Mu-1 for now.

Well golden sand is just little tiny bits of gold turn to sand form. It a rare resource native to the Dorks world. Mostly found underground in small sand pool.

picture:
Spoiler :

I notice the adjusted base cost for the Teqel colony was 2EP, was the balance of the 4EP I spent on the effort returned to the treasury (or not spent at all) or used to exploit a resource?

Great update.

Thank you guys!

I notice the adjusted base cost for the Teqel colony was 2EP, was the balance of the 4EP I spent on the effort returned to the treasury (or not spent at all) or used to exploit a resource?

Hey, apologies for the ongoing confusion over this. I'm thinking about switching to something easier. But for now...

Teqel: world with very dense wet atmosphere; aeroplankton and abundant anomalous animals at high altitudes; furnace-like rocky surface
Base Cost: +4EP (Thick-Atmos, Terrestrial, Wet)
Minerals: 4EP x1
Food: 2EP x2
Oddity: 1x 3EP (aerial biota research)
Hazards: electrical storms and volcanism (!!)
* Surveyed and settled by Torhenn in GT-1 (adjusted Kowlint Base Cost is 2EP)

On this world the default Base Cost for Mr Random Default Alien would be 4EP, and then - yes - you'd add the cost for whatever resource he is actually wanting to exploit. So, straight up, mining the 1x Minerals on this world will cost a staggering 8EP without any discounts through technology or natural tolerances.

For the Kowlint, the Base Cost is reduced by 2EP, as you see - one EP from their Engineering trait, and one EP from being a Terrestrial race able to make use of expansive solid ground terrain. So your cost to develop 1x Food there was the 2EP for the food, +2EP Base Cost, for 4EP total.

That's just for +1 Food / turn. You can invest another 4EP to get another +1 Food / turn, since this planet has 2x Food slots total.

Admittedly this will only have made an overall profit from Turn 5 onwards but, that's the way it goes. In the meantime it could be a handy springboard to other world(s) that are more immediately profitable, or perhaps a stepping stone to a valuable trade route, etc.

Hope this makes some sense ;)

So many circles. And lovely update, as expected.
Also - I spent 4EP on settling. If Zen-9 costs only 1, where did they other 3 go?

Onward to orders!
Stats said:
The United Tac: Erez87
Trader Negotiators
Habitat: Thick-Atmos, Hot, Wet, Forested
100% Tacci population
Culture is considered Somewhat Interesting
Morale is Very High
Society is Somewhat Stable

Projects: 1 project slot empty

Economy:
1 Metropolis World
3 Food eaten, +2 wanted
1 Minerals used, +1 wanted
0 Luxuries enjoyed, +2 wanted
0 Oddities explored, +1 wanted
0 goods traded (*2 Consumer Goods surplus)
= 5 EP income

Costs:
1 Diplomat (x0.5)
1 Freighter (x0.25)
1 Explorer (x1)
= 1 EP upkeep

= 4 EP banked, treasury is now 4EP

To spend 4E and to move units:
*1EP Now that we settled on Zen-9 rename it to Taccitu and continue settlement process. Look for luxuries that we desperately need! but settle for food if we must.
*Send Freighter with Diplomat to Hmmaia and send BIG HI! Offer a trade deal. Leave the diplomat there and have the freighter perhaps start the trade route?
*Send Explorer in Tacci to Daz-1 and see if it got anything interesting!
*3EP on settling around anywhere new. Maybe Daz-1! (I see that Skitarii surveyed Daz-1 and found luxuries, I aim to survey it as well, probably finding them too, so settle in there and get some luxuries!)

Thanks erez! Ditto the above for your question - 1EP was spent on the 'Base Cost', while another 3EP was spent on actually developing the +1 Food / turn.

Moderator Consultation on Colonising:

This all seems a bit counter-intuitive for people at the moment, not only that but I'm conscious of it being overly expensive. So, I'm considering having it so that the 'Base Cost' is only ever paid once per faction per planet, to set up your central colony there. Think of it as setting up living quarters, life support, landing and launch facilities, all the infrastructure you need in a harsh environment... And once you've paid that, you then just pay the costs to develop any resource slots you want (or defensive installations, or whatever). So basically, its usually cheaper to expand on planets where you already have a toe-hold.

Currently you'd have to pay the Base Cost for each and every other thing as well. This made sense when I thought I could do rapid fire turns at the beginning. Now that's not realistic ;) Its always going to be at least a week-long cycle. Perhaps its better to allow faster growth?

Oh only base cost is lowered. Got it!

I think base cost should by one time, and that everything else is like terraforming and enlarging the settlements.

EDIT
Unless you want colonization to be more expensive and slower, and than anything should include +base cost.

Thank you guys!

Hey, apologies for the ongoing confusion over this. I'm thinking about switching to something easier. But for now...

On this world the default Base Cost for Mr Random Default Alien would be 4EP, and then - yes - you'd add the cost for whatever resource he is actually wanting to exploit. So, straight up, mining the 1x Minerals on this world will cost a staggering 8EP without any discounts through technology or natural tolerances.

For the Kowlint, the Base Cost is reduced by 2EP, as you see - one EP from their Engineering trait, and one EP from being a Terrestrial race able to make use of expansive solid ground terrain. So your cost to develop 1x Food there was the 2EP for the food, +2EP Base Cost, for 4EP total.

That's just for +1 Food / turn. You can invest another 4EP to get another +1 Food / turn, since this planet has 2x Food slots total.

Admittedly this will only have made an overall profit from Turn 5 onwards but, that's the way it goes. In the meantime it could be a handy springboard to other world(s) that are more immediately profitable, or perhaps a stepping stone to a valuable trade route, etc.

Hope this makes some sense ;)

Ok, so lets see if I understand this now. Cost to develop any resource is equal to modified base cost plus resource cost (I was under the impression that base cost was only paid once to establish a presence on the planet and all resources just cost their associated cost to develop). To start bringing in income from them I would then need to set my newly built freighter to transport resources from the colony to a developed world (the capital until such time as another devloped world is created).

Assuming all that's accurate how are you indicating what resources on a colony world are currently being exploited?

Moderator Consultation on Colonising:

This all seems a bit counter-intuitive for people at the moment, not only that but I'm conscious of it being overly expensive. So, I'm considering having it so that the 'Base Cost' is only ever paid once per faction per planet, to set up your central colony there. Think of it as setting up living quarters, life support, landing and launch facilities, all the infrastructure you need in a harsh environment... And once you've paid that, you then just pay the costs to develop any resource slots you want (or defensive installations, or whatever). So basically, its usually cheaper to expand on planets where you already have a toe-hold.

Currently you'd have to pay the Base Cost for each and every other thing as well. This made sense when I thought I could do rapid fire turns at the beginning. Now that's not realistic ;) Its always going to be at least a week-long cycle. Perhaps its better to allow faster growth?

Oh only base cost is lowered. Got it!

I think base cost should by one time, and that everything else is like terraforming and enlarging the settlements.

EDIT
Unless you want colonization to be more expensive and slower, and than anything should include +base cost.

Strongly disagree with base-cost being a one-time payment. This would lead to exponential income explosion for anyone who focuses on developing colony resources and there would really be no reason to do anything else, including fight wars or trade resources. So to create a game with more than one 'reasonable path to game-play' i don't think reducing colonization cost should be a thing.

The system as is works for me EXCEPT

1) that the planet list should include what sorts of colonies are already present on the planet. This is for clarity.

So the planet list might look like this:

Yrt-1: varied Terrestrial world with intelligent native life; stalked by ferocious predators and plagued by occasional massive storms
Base Cost: +2EP (Terrestrial, Seas, Wet, Mountainous, Forested)
Minerals: 3EP x1
Food: 2EP x 1 (1 developed)
Oddities: 2EP x1 (native ruins and artefacts)
Luxuries: 3EP x1 (natural narcotic/medical compounds?)
Hazards: indigenous lifeforms, extreme weather (!!)
* Surveyed and settled by the Psilocybe in GT-1 ( Psilocybe BC is +1EP)
Psilocybe farming colony (1 food)

and 2) the traits that reduce colonization might be too powerful (Brooder, engineer, etc) so an ongoing attention on balancing traits should continue. Twitchers might need some love for example.

and 3) should agents and diplomats come with their own small ships so they don't need to be transported? Otherwise they cost a LOT of maintenance costs to use (once for the ship, once for the unit)

Lonely we were not in our sweet solitude
For what is solitude if not freedom?
Freedom in speech and deed, none to judge,
And in judgement, restrict and condemn:
The condemnation of the sibling being the most damning,
For that damnation is to be truly alone.

Lovely work Daft.

I think that in a long form game the current system is fine, it just needs clarification and, as Immaculate pointed out, indication as to how a planet has been developed.

A quick question on stats:
Spoiler :
Flallorean Collective: Lord_Herobrine
Engineer Traders
Habitat: Terrestrial, Sea, [Engineer*]
100% Flallore population
Culture is considered Somewhat Interesting
Morale is Rather High
Society is Stable

Projects: 2 project slots empty

Economy:
1 Tech World
1 Food eaten, +1 wanted
2 Minerals used, +2 wanted
1 Luxuries enjoyed, +1 wanted
1 Oddities explored, +1 wanted
0 goods traded (*2 Tech Goods surplus)

+1 asteroid capture random event
= 7 EP income

Costs:
1 Warship (x1)
1 Explorer (x1)
1 Freighter (x0.25)
= 2EP upkeep

= 5 EP banked, treasury is now 8EP
Why do I have 8EP to spend this turn? I spent all 6EP of my treasury last turn, and the 5EP banked from production is still not 8EP, even after the bonus +1 from the asteroid.

Also, is it profitable to send our trade goods, aka "Tech Goods," to any planet/outpost or does it have to be a developed world that wants a "Consumer good"?

Kat-33: bright red, rusty world with subsurface ice and native microbes
Base Cost: 4EP (Terrestrial, Lo-Grav, Cold, Arid)
Minerals: 2EP x1
Food: 4EP x1
Oddities: 2EP x1 (astrological system of interest)
No appreciable hazards
* Surveyed at settled by the Flallorean Collective in GT-1 (Flallore BC is +2EP)
Does the bolded part of the above stats mean that the Flallore have to spend an additional 2EP as a base cost, so to extract another Oddity it would cost a total of
(4EP BC)+(Flallore BC +2EP)+(Oddity Extraction 2EP)= 8EP
Is this the correct way to calculate it?

Once last question, how can we tell how much of a resource, say minerals, that a planet can produce if maxed out? Or is the number (Minerals: 2EP x1) the resources that can still be extracted?

Another quick rules question, can explorers move after surveying a system and if so can they potentially survey multiple systems in the space of a turn.
I am also still not 100% sure if I need to assign my freighter to hauling duty to get the benefit from my colony or if I can assign it to space mining duty?

(Sorry, this quick question's getting quite long) the rules clarifications are getting a bit scattered throughout the thread. Can they be consolidated into the first post? I'm sure there was mention of outposts but I can't find the costs/rules?

EDIT: I've also noticed my diplomat is still on the homeworld, she was supposed to go off with the explorers.

Well its clear, the current system is clear as mud ;)

If its that hard to understand then I've done it wrong. So how about something like the following:

Duna: desert planet with subterranean water and anomalous fossils
Index: 2.5 (terrestrial, arid, hot)
Minerals: 2
Food: 1
Oddities: 1
Hazards: sandstorms, earthquakes (!!)
* Surveyed by the Space Hamsters in GT-1 (Index: 1.5)

Where Index is the cost multiplier for anything you build on the planet (lower is better here). Any useful adaptations you have decrease this by 0.5, to a minimum of 1.

We'd assume all resource collecting costs a default of 2EP to set up, with any exceptions noted in brackets. If there are no slots left or you don't want any resources, you can just build an outpost to only boost your ship range, but that still costs 2EP (x Index).

So getting +1 resource/turn generally costs 2EP x (adjusted index for your race), rounded up.

Making a new Developed World will also cost 5EP + 5EP x (adjusted index for your race), so that could get really expensive, and will mean habitable worlds have more value for development, while having more dilemmas about environmental destruction.

There would also be an element of risk involved in creating the first colony on a planet. Environment, hazards, and distance from your nearest colony will all factor into the equation. If a colony fails you don't lose much EP, most is refunded, but it means you have to try again. This uncertainty disappears once you have a toe-hold on the planet, otherwise there is no discount.... /idea

-----------

QUESTION TIME

Strongly disagree with base-cost being a one-time payment. This would lead to exponential income explosion for anyone who focuses on developing colony resources and there would really be no reason to do anything else, including fight wars or trade resources. So to create a game with more than one 'reasonable path to game-play' i don't think reducing colonization cost should be a thing.

You make a good point. I certainly want to make other avenues viable.

1) that the planet list should include what sorts of colonies are already present on the planet.

I'd rather not have this in the stats as it involves a lot of book-keeping for me. I was hoping it'd be simple enough to have one resource icon per 1x tapped resource on the map, and you can see by the colour who owns it.

and 3) should agents and diplomats come with their own small ships so they don't need to be transported? Otherwise they cost a LOT of maintenance costs to use (once for the ship, once for the unit)

I'm not inclined to do this either - feel free to create a UU prototype that is a self-moving diplomat. Otherwise I think there's plenty of explorer ships and freighters around. Plus I like the idea of diplomats getting stranded somewhere.

To start bringing in income from them I would then need to set my newly built freighter to transport resources from the colony to a developed world (the capital until such time as another devloped world is created).

Freighters aren't needed for internal needs straight away, only to trade with other races, or to remote mine other systems. My idea is that as you get bigger / more spread out, with more resources flowing around, you will need some Freighters assigned to freighter duty, or you'll lose EP income. This will be noted in the stats.

Your miscellaneous-utility-ships-not-on-the-map can handle this for now.

TAssuming all that's accurate how are you indicating what resources on a colony world are currently being exploited?

Again, that's what the coloured resource icons are designed for. One for each 1EP's worth of resources coming off that planet.

Why do I have 8EP to spend this turn? I spent all 6EP of my treasury last turn, and the 5EP banked from production is still not 8EP, even after the bonus +1 from the asteroid.

Thanks for letting me know, that was a boo-boo in the stats. It should be fixed now.

Also, is it profitable to send our trade goods, aka "Tech Goods," to any planet/outpost or does it have to be a developed world that wants a "Consumer good"?

'fraid not, though I did change it this turn so that Fortress Worlds can receive a trade good and consume it for 1EP, though they don't have anything to offer in exchange.

You'd need two different types of Developed World for internal trade. A Metropolis trading with a Tech world, exchanging 1 trade good each, would create 2EP in profit.

so to extract another Oddity it would cost a total of (4EP BC)+(Flallore BC +2EP)+(Oddity Extraction 2EP)= 8EP
Is this the correct way to calculate it?

No, the Flallore BC replaces the default one ;) So its 4EP in total. But hold fire, because its clear this is not intuitive, so I'll be changing it round.

Once last question, how can we tell how much of a resource, say minerals, that a planet can produce if maxed out? Or is the number (Minerals: 2EP x1) the resources that can still be extracted?

Again this is where I was hoping players could do the math and save me from some admin - you'll see one resource icon on the map for every point being extracted, colour-coded to the owner. The stats would always list total resource potential of the planet, ignoring how much is already being extracted or not.

@Daftpanzer
Am I in contact with the Yuma at this point?

Again, you'll need to be in direct contact ship-ship or ship-planet. So no, not yet - at least nothing meaningful in game terms.

At the moment, you'll be picking up radio signals leaking from Grand Hive that probably don't make much sense. Feel free to send a SETI signal if you like :)

Another quick rules question, can explorers move after surveying a system and if so can they potentially survey multiple systems in the space of a turn.

No - exploration will consume the whole turn if you want to do it properly. Though for game purposes, it doesn't matter how far they had to travel that turn, so long as its in range.

I am also still not 100% sure if I need to assign my freighter to hauling duty to get the benefit from my colony or if I can assign it to space mining duty?

Again, no, don't worry - you'll be warned when internal traffic reaches the point you need dedicated freighter lines. For now your freighters can strip mine empty systems or trade with other players.

(Sorry, this quick question's getting quite long) the rules clarifications are getting a bit scattered throughout the thread. Can they be consolidated into the first post? I'm sure there was mention of outposts but I can't find the costs/rules?

Noted - I'll look into doing that once I've figured out how to do the flipping planets in a way everyone can understand easily ;)

I took outposts out initially as I thought it would be too confusing...

EDIT: I've also noticed my diplomat is still on the homeworld, she was supposed to go off with the explorers.

Noted - consider it retconned from this point.

You called it Daftpanzer. I don't think I can do this game justice while I'm running my own writing-intensive game; I haven't been keeping up with the other players and I still only have a very basic understanding of the rules. I want to contribute to this, but I feel like my slot should go to someone who can do a game that looks as nice as this some justice.

The Qui'Kho Empire has resigned, sorry. :(

If its that hard to understand then I've done it wrong. So how about something like the following:
Where Index is the cost multiplier for anything you build on the planet (lower is better here). Any useful adaptations you have decrease this by 0.5, to a minimum of 1.
Rule of thumb: Never assume people can do the math. :p The fix should be pretty simple: if a faction gets a cost bonus, denote it with '-', and a penalty with '+', then the player will know to add or subtract from the Base Cost. Everything else I think is largely self-explanatory.

For the consumption of senior members of the
Sureya Cosmic Exploration and Defence Administration
Who are doubtless individuals of great genetic fortune and in the possession of significant economic assets and/or spiritual enlightenment

Salutations Alien,

We hope this message finds you in a state of good internal chemistry.

We come in Peace in the name of God, who is varying degrees of merciful and generous depending on the status of one's karma.

We are preparing a team of linguistic, cultural, political, and religious specialists to meet with approved representatives of the higher class members of your society on a regular basis. If you approve, please prepare appropriately for their arrival. We will send details of cultural norms and our physiology in order to minimize any hardship.

We hope you will choose to do the same with us. Living quarters can be prepared on our home world for long-term residence, according to specifications and conditions observed in your exploration craft. Please advise us on any dietary, atmospheric, or social requirements your race considers essential to continued physical and mental health.

The exchange of scientific, cultural, and material wealth will benefit both our societies and delay the onset of terminal entropy by a significant period of time!

Prepared by representatives of the
Outer Space Exploration Corporation
Who are unworthy of the honor

EDIT: Daft, I'm curious. Why don't Baloum have "hot" as a habitat descriptor?

Will try to get some orders/content in the next day or two

Top Bottom