[BtS] Gondor Third Age Unit Pack

Topsecret's Unit Thread 2.0

Great to see you here. When I got into modding again, these units were some of the first I downloaded. They're excellent.

There are some nice LOTR meshes and textures on the Skyrim nexus. If you'd like, I could get some to you. The Third Age Total War mod for Medieval Total War 2 is also good. I was able to get meshes from MTW 2 into Civ, but the textures gave me trouble. No worries if not and I hope this doesn't bother you. Hats off to your awesome work. :hatsoff:

Last edited:
Great to see you here. When I got into modding again, these units were some of the first I downloaded. They're excellent.

There are some nice LOTR meshes and textures on the Skyrim nexus. If you'd like, I could get some to you. The Third Age Total War mod for Medieval Total War 2 is also good. I was able to get meshes from MTW 2 into Civ, but the textures gave me trouble. No worries if not and I hope this doesn't bother you. Hats off to your awesome work. :hatsoff:

Thanks for the kind words.

The thing about porting them is I might have to rerig them to the armature. I will leave that to the braver souls. ;)

So I've managed to get Medieval Total War 2 assets converted to Civ 4. I don't know how to get the textures assigned yet though. I've never been good with UV mapping, but I guess it's time to learn. Something cool too, I've managed to get some of the animations from MTW 2 to play in Civ. I think if I can figure out how to export a keyframe then it may be possible to import those as well.

Here's Boromir in Blender and his mesh in-game. His crouching is part of his animation. It will play a little bit.

upload_2021-9-28_22-8-8.png

upload_2021-9-28_22-8-53.jpeg

So I've managed to get Medieval Total War 2 assets converted to Civ 4. I don't know how to get the textures assigned yet though. I've never been good with UV mapping, but I guess it's time to learn. Something cool too, I've managed to get some of the animations from MTW 2 to play in Civ. I think if I can figure out how to export a keyframe then it may be possible to import those as well.

Here's Boromir in Blender and his mesh in-game. His crouching is part of his animation. It will play a little bit.

View attachment 610238
View attachment 610239
Nice work!

Sorry to spam you. Here are two blend files and two nifs. The 2.79 nif shows up in nifskope, but not in-game. The 2.49 nif shows up in-game, but not in nifskope. I think it's something with the Pad and Sort Bones option. I can't get the export to work from 2.79 with that selected. I always have it on with 2.49, and if not, then the unit won't show up in-game. Here's a video showing the lil guy running away. It's the first part of a charging attack for MTW2.

https://gyazo.com/3099ae48b890c2e595d2ffdcfd80899f

Attachments

• Boromir.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
I don't have working nif scripts for 2.79, and the 2.49 wasn't working. I exported as a "3ds" file, and imported that into 2.49. I set up the materials and crap real fast and exported a nif. I've included them for you to look at if you want. GL :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Boromir.rar
    972.8 KB · Views: 43
I was in a hurry last night, and preoccupied with getting the materials working that I didn't notice the bones are missing. :eek: :lol:
So, going through 3DS format will not work. I don't know why the legacy format isn't working when saved from 2.79. One variable I would rule out is the animation being loaded. You want to have one blend with just the mesh and skeleton, and a separate one with the animation loaded for each animation individually (if you're going to try to convert to kf).

Blender 2.82 and 2.92 were able to open the files, but I don't have working scripts for 2.82, and the 2.92 export failed.
The end goal here is to get this opened in 2.49, because the scripts for anything later either don't work, or only half work. 2.92 nif export works with some exceptions, but the kf export doesn't work yet. I haven't tried ones for 2.79 in over year, but I'm sure the story is the same for it as well.

Haha, conversions make you nutty.

To do the Skyrim conversions, I have to import the nif into 2.79, save the blend file as a legacy, switch to 2.49, and use that for production. I'll switch back quite a bit, as some modifiers are better with 2.79.

This is a new one for me so it's slow going. I'm unpacking the MTW2 files with modelers toolbox. Then I convert the .mesh to .dae with IWTE. I'm now trying to figure out how best to get the .dae turned into a .nif. I managed to get Boromir's head, breastplate, and legs into Civ last night and mapped the textures. It's painfully slow for now. Last night was my first attempt with these and the results have me hopeful. The Europa Barbarorum 2 mod looks like it has some nice models and TATW is superb. I'd be more than happy to get these in sans animations.

I'm now toying with the idea of skipping this and trying Rome TW2 assets. Tantan will have fits if I could convert the Age of Bronze models.

I got a version that will show up in-game now. I had to really lighten the textures to get them to show up "ok" in game. MT, do you know what this could be? The Skyrim conversions always show up dark as well. Normally lightening those textures will be fine, but this is making me fussy. TS, if you like this Boromir I could rig it for you. I would need to remove unnecessary polys and then decimate it though.

The conversion was much easier tonight. This time, after I imported the .dae, I exported to an obj. I imported that into 2.49b and that then exported fine to Civ. Should be a little bit longer than Skyrim conversions, but since the models have fewer polys, it will probably be faster to do MTW 2.

upload_2021-9-29_21-50-42.jpeg

upload_2021-9-29_21-50-55.jpeg

upload_2021-9-29_21-51-19.jpeg

upload_2021-9-29_21-51-32.jpeg

Attachments

• boromir.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
I got a version that will show up in-game now. I had to really lighten the textures to get them to show up "ok" in game. MT, do you know what this could be? The Skyrim conversions always show up dark as well. Normally lightening those textures will be fine, but this is making me fussy. TS, if you like this Boromir I could rig it for you. I would need to remove unnecessary polys and then decimate it though.

The conversion was much easier tonight. This time, after I imported the .dae, I exported to an obj. I imported that into 2.49b and that then exported fine to Civ. Should be a little bit longer than Skyrim conversions, but since the models have fewer polys, it will probably be faster to do MTW 2.

View attachment 610313
View attachment 610314
View attachment 610315
View attachment 610316
Feel free to do so if you would like, but don't feel obligated.

I hope to one day make a "heroes" aspect of my mod, and Boromir would definitely qualify. I will use him but don't feel required either. :)

MT, do you know what this could be?
Probably just the material is set too dark. The vanilla units use white for all the colors, and black for the emissive:
Material_Color.jpg

If I was doing this I would just export as an obj, and rig that to the vulture since it has bones for the cloak. I mean this is only an ordinary swordsman. I doesn't need to dual wield, or do some crazy Darth Maul stuff(or does it?).

Are we not talking about how this guy looks identical to Sean Bean?
sean_bean.jpg

Ahhh, thanks MT. I'll try that. I'm very ignorant with nifskope.

Yeah, the TATW mod is incredible. You should see what DisgruntledGoat did for Rhun.

I'll try the vulture once I've reduced the polys. I like everything about the vulture animation except the head. It's cocked in an odd way, but that's easy enough to change.

I'll work on this for you tonight/through the weekend TS. Btw, when I said I was being fussy, I didn't mean that I was fussy at you or anything. I was having a hissy fit with the textures.

Me: "Why isn't this working?? This should be working! I hate everything!"

I was throwing a mantrum at my computer.

Not quite ready to post them all yet, but the Rohirrim units will have more horsemen than normal. :mischief:

Top Bottom