Total Windows 2000 CivII Solution

David Pritchard

Chieftain
OK, I've just got CivII (classic, v2.42) working perfectly, so I'll tell how I did it.
Really I've just sewn together the stuff I've read in other posts.

- Installed WinG from CivII setup
- Did *not* install Video for Windows during CivII setup. If you did this already, delete Ir41.dll from Winnt\system
- Installed the VERY LATEST Indeo drivers from Ligos.

The last step is what got the videos working. Some people may, like me, already have an older copy of the version 5 Indeo drivers from Intel (iv5setup.exe). Those don't work. If you go to the Ligos page and download the 5.11 version drivers, everything should be OK.

Yippee. CivII fully operational in Win2k!

David Pritchard

I'm running Windows Millineum edition and I'm playing CivII multiplayer Gold edition. The game works great, I have complete sound effects and the wonders of the world videos work with music. However, the music that plays during the game,,doesn't. When I click on the game menu and scroll down to "change music", it tells me to put the cd in the cdrom but the cd is already in there. I installed the indeo drivers but it hadn't changed anything. Any suggestions?

You probably need the newer Indeo sound driver.

I found this simple solution in the strategic games newsgroup:

In addition to the WinG.dll I went to Microsoft thinking someone else
must have had this problem ... turns out they did a 'compatability'
patch ... this patch does not mention Civ2 but it does mention a bunch
of other older games so I installed it and Civ2 works fine now.

Yayyy ... I can't imagine not having Civ2 on my hard drive ...

The patch can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/appcompat/default.asp

[This message has been edited by Thunderfall (edited June 06, 2001).]

Top Bottom