Traits - best to worste

Where is the love for Charismatic? If you snag Stonehenge that is +2 happy in all your cities up to Astronomy. \o/

Plus the -25% XP for promotions. Charismatic, has been one of my new favourites.

I think actually the traits can be split into two categories.

Financial, philosophical and organized are the traits you can build your general game plan on. Financial favors CE and coastal cities. Philosophical call for SE and lightbulbing. Organized favors REX and warring. These traits shape how we play the game.

The remaining are more "helpers". I'd rank them:

Best: charismatic, (spiritual). Charismatic helps everything. Spiritual is sort of conditional. It could be the best but could be totally useless, depending on your game style, the game situation, etc.

Good: aggressive, (creative). Free combat I is always good. Creative is under-rated IMHO. It's very early game oriented, and to me early game is the most critical stage of the game.

Fair: industrious, expansive. Expansive is another under-rated trait. Granery is at least a top three building in the game. The extra healthiness allows more chopping, which can be exploited.

Weak: (imperialistic), protective - yes, you can benefit from these traits, but these traits are more for AIs to slow other players down. However, the double GG emergence of imp, if in a crazy warlike game, can be useful and this trait can go from weak to even good.

1. Charismatic - the best trait imho. awesome with stonehenge.

2. Creative - no monuments, no stonehenge - geat save of hammers in the very early. +cheap libraries.

3. Financial - also gives a good start.

4. Aggressive - fast barracks, stronger units. good trait, useful during all the game.

5. Expansive - fast granaries for whipping, higher health limits. good for cities on the floodplains.

6. Industrious - fast build of stonehenge :)

7. Imperialistic - quite useless. it could be good with -25% distance maintenance costs or so.

8. Organized - i always have enough money from built/captured holy cities.

9. Protective - absolutely useless. could be fun with free walls in new settled city, like it was for chairman Yang's faction in Alpha Centauri :) and +100% GG inside your own borders.

1 Imperialistic: I really hate the best spot for a city taken by someone else
2 Charismatic: Don't have to worry much about religion or luxuries, very flexible
3 Financial
4 Industrious
5 Protective
6 Philosophical
7 Aggressive
8 Creative
9 Spiritual
10 Organised
11 Expansive

My Favourites are:

1) Financial: Helps build a very strong economy and tech like crazy. If your running CE, your laughing.

2) Industrious: I'm generally a peaceful player, and like building wonders and looking for cultural victories, so this helps me get those wonders quicker. Huayna Capac is my favourite leader, so it's hardly suprising to see this as my second favourite trait.

3) Organized: Makes building a larger empire easier early on, due to reduced civic costs, and cheap courthouses.

4) Charismatic: If you have little to no luxury resources, this can eleviate that early unhappiness, and allows you to whip a little more then normal. And thats not forgetting the reduced cost of unit promotions.

5) Creative: Allows you to skip monuments and concentrate on other improvements. Cheap libraries are also nice.

6) Spiritual: I hate anarchy, especially if it lasts more then one turn. Avoiding this can make often make the difference between founding a religion or building a wonder, or missing out altogether.

7) Philisophical: I don't use an SE, otherwise, this would be higher. Still, it's nice to have quicker Great People.

8) Expansive: The health bonus is great if you don't get many health resoucres, or your cities have a lot of jungle or flood plain tiles around.

9) Aggressive: The cheap barracks are nice, as is the Combat 1 promotion. It's just that since Charismatic was added, it doesn't seem as appealing.

10) Imperialstic: The bonuses are nice, but for me at least, they contradict don't work too well together. If your looking to build peacefully, the settler bonus is good, but the GG bonus is little use, whilst if you want to expand via war, the GG bonus is great, whilst the settler bonus is far less useful. To me it seems only as if you are using half the trait. Better as a support trait.

11) Protective: Drill 1 and City Garrison 1 are really good, but the walls and castle bonus aren't particularly exciting. Again, it's a decent trait, but it's better as a support to a much stronger trait.

Ironically, Charlemagne is one of my favoutie leaders, despite his two traits being the bottom of my list, though that is almost entirley due to the strength of the Rathuas.

depends, imo

war strategy:
1. imp
2. cre
3. exp
4. spi
5. agg
6. phi

science strategy:
1. phi
2. fin
3. cre
4. ind
5. exp
6. chm

for pro i have not really any use in early game, only later eras from medi on, and org is in my opinion totally overrated and pretty useless.
i didn't really get the point of chm in war, but the bonus happiness from monuments, esp with stonehenge, that's great.
cre is very nice because you have earlier access to the ressources and can build libs + col quick, esp. libs which i try to build anyway. of course it is useless after expansion done, just like imp is.

on a random map with no map regeneration give me organised , aggressive , charismatic and imperialistic........best traits to dig yourself out of a bad start

(no flood plain , little happiness , dangerous neighbours etc)

1) Philosophical
2) Financial
3) Industrious
4) Organised
5) Imperialistic
6) Spiritual
7) Expansive
8) Charismatic
9) Creative
10) Protective
11) Aggressive

The top 3 are the high-impact traits that will carry my game. Philosophical narrowly wins out because it helps wonderspam strategies as well as a 'lean' SE - it has early applications with both food-rich and hammer-rich starts.

Imperialistic I feel is the most underrated trait in the game. The most questionable starts in BTS tend to be heavily forested, and Imperialistic makes them actually desirable. I think it's a wonderful companion trait to IND in particular because balancing wonderspam and adequate expansion is usually difficult.

I have little use for the military traits:
For being dominant in a particular era, UUs are more important. Some economic powerhouses like Darius and Huayna Capac can rush with the best of them; Augustus and Qin gain a long-lasting military edge from their excellent Unique Units rather than traits.
If I plan periodic war and consolidation, I prefer Spiritual to get my economy into and out of warmonger mode at will; Ghandi excels as a ruthless opportunist.
If I plan on warring most of the time, I need a robust economy that can take the constant abuse far more than I need an edge in combat itself. Give me Frederick over Tokugawa any day.

Imp. underrated for sure.......on face value cheap settlers seem to clash with cheap GG`s.......but three perfectly placed cities followed by war to buy some living space (getting a really early GG) can really set you up...and its big time fun

1)Fin - I don't think I need to explain this
2)Org - Fast courthouses and low maintenance is extremely helpful
3)Chm - Good in almost all situations, war or not.
4)Phi - SE economy
5)Imp - The early land grab on later levels is made a lot easier with this
6)Cre - Same reason as Imp, and it lets you save early hammers
7)Agg - Faster barracks and Combat I are helpful
8)Spi - No anarchy is helpful early on and with diplomacy
9)Ind - faster wonders are nice in MP and on lower difficulties - but the AI beats you no matter what like monarch +
10)Pro - Good city defense, and gives you somewhat more time to get copper, iron, or horse if you don't start near it
11)Exp - Don't really see a use for this trait

Poor old aggressive always getting shafted.........one essential building half price , one very powerful building half price........its not the combat 1 that is the bonus its the easy path to customising your stack that is the real help

I mean your first rush can have a medic , CR`s , and shock units...whats not to like?

1. Philisophical
2. Charismatic
3. Financial
4. Creative
5. Spiritual
6.Aggressive
7.Organized
8. Expansive
9.Imperialistic
10. Industrious
11. Protective

It depends on your style of play, and the difficulty you play on, but for me, here's how I rank them.

1) Financial
2) Philosophical
3) Organized
4) Charismatic
5) Creative
6) Industrious
7) Spiritual
8) Expansive
9) Aggressive
10) Imperialistic
11) Protective

I've become a huge fan of creative - the ability to found a city anywhere and have its borders expand quickly is very convenient. It is extremely helpful for securing territory and resources quickly, and you can do a lot with the production that ordinarily would have been spent on monuments of Stonehenge. It does become a useless trait later on, but it's great for the early game.

I ranked aggressive low partly because I think charismatic is generally a superior trait. Also, I can see imperialistic being used in good ways that would cause others to rank it much higher. I think protective is just garbage - I'm sure there's a way to take advantage of those free promotions, but I don't feel like bothering.

ps
i miss the trait that reduces war weariness. i think imperialistic is suitable for this!

Well, there isn't one because you can get -100% war weariness. Jail + Rushmore + Police State. Thus, having a trait that reduced it would be overkill.

You'd get War Happiness, haha.

Well, there isn't one because you can get -100% war weariness. Jail + Rushmore + Police State. Thus, having a trait that reduced it would be overkill.

You'd get War Happiness, haha.

LOL
maybe additional +1:) from vassal

It wouldn't be the only trait that includes a bonus that can be duplicated. Spiritual while in golden age or with the Redentor wonder is only half a trait.

A reduced war wariness trait could work. Means that leader wouldn't run a police state.

I fail to understand why so many people rate Pro last;
1 Financial
4 Philosophical
11 Industrious
7 Spiritual
2 Creative
5 Organised
3 Charismatic
10 Expansive
8 Imperialistic
9 Aggressive
6 Protective

The numbers is the rank; I copypasted the list from the OP and changed it to my own preferences.

I fail to understand why so many people rate Pro last;

I just finished a game with Qin (lost), didn't use the protective thread...not even ONCE. It's so useless, that it's not even funny. I'm looking for the best supporting thread/UU/UB for a one city challenge. Trait 1 has to be industrious, for the wonderspamming benefit, nr. 2 would be phil, but that's impossible. I'm torn between expansive (wonderspamming makes health more of an issue then happiness, since after globe theater unhappiness is gone), or aggresive (for stronger gunpowder/melee units), or maybe creative, for the cheaper buildings.

Top Bottom