Traveling to Southeast Asia?

silver 2039

Deity
I'm planning on going to Southeast Asia. Namely Indonesia, Brunei, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore in that order.

What are the key places I should see? And any other advice?

Also I'm wondering about Cambodia. I want to see the Angkor Wat and such but with recent Thai-Cambodian border issues and such as well as landmines how safe is it?

Singapore is boring. There's not much to do. Just go to town, take a walk around, maybe go to Sentosa Island or take a ride on the Singapore Flyer (no better than the London Eye, IMO). Unless you fancy unremarkable museums and esoteric little local cultural curiosities, you'd want to spend at most 2 days here.

Singapore is boring. There's not much to do. Just go to town, take a walk around, maybe go to Sentosa Island or take a ride on the Singapore Flyer (no better than the London Eye, IMO). Unless you fancy unremarkable museums and esoteric little local cultural curiosities, you'd want to spend at most 2 days here.

Isn't Singapore great for sex tourism?

Bah, only people in China spit on the sidewalk as pastime. And that is also due to the awesomeness of the glorious authoritarian system.

But oral sex was recently legalised in Singapore, so there's cause for you to cheer :D

True. But he should acquire the habit of getting sex without paying for it, from people who don't look to get paid for it.

You can go to Borobudur in Yogyakarta which has a huge buddhist temple. But be careful though if some guys try to sell you stuff in a dark alley. Stay on the main roads. This one time when I was younger and with my dad to see Borobudur, some guys wanted to show us some batik stuff and my dad wanted to see but I didn't like how it was in a dark and twisty alley so I said forget about it.

The culture is not really the point. Though there are some pretty cool places like the Peranakan museum. The point is the food and shopping if you're into that. Sentosa is where all the gringos go and there isn't much there. Go to Bintan, 30 min by boat from Singapore. I could stay in Singapore for months on end just for the food. :love:

If you have the money I would advise going to Scotts for their buffet.

The culture is not really the point. Though there are some pretty cool places like the Peranakan museum. The point is the food and shopping if you're into that. Sentosa is where all the gringos go and there isn't much there. Go to Bintan, 30 min by boat from Singapore. I could stay in Singapore for months on end just for the food. :love:

Food? Overrated. Ask anyone from the neighbouring countries.

I can buy stuff in England at much less than half the price here. And discounts at sales are better in Indonesia.

At least you can loll about at the beaches in Sentosa.

ohcrapitsnico said:
If you have the money I would advise going to Scotts for their buffet.

I think The Line at Shangrila is better. Scotts is gone, by the way.

Food? Overrated. Ask anyone from the neighbouring countries.

Well obviously because their food is just as good. Food where I live sucks and I get the benefit of having it all in one place when I go.

I can buy stuff in England at much less than half the price here. And discounts at sales are better in Indonesia.

Fair enough although I still find I can get things in Singapore that I can't get in the states or at least cheaper. Depends what you want and where you go.:) I'm in Marine parade and tend to saty over there. Holland village and the other heartland malls are pretty good. I tend to stay away from downtown and orchard street.

At least you can loll about at the beaches in Sentosa.

I think The Line at Shangrila is better. Scotts is gone, by the way.

Really all the beaches suck in Singapore unless trashy beaches and sewage water is your thing.
You sure Scotts is gone? Thats too bad. :(

Well obviously because their food is just as good. Food where I live sucks and I get the benefit of having it all in one place when I go.

Well, Singapore doesn't actually have its own cuisine, at most unique items that are adapted from others. You basically trade taste and authenticity for safety (in terms of health as well) and relative convenience. Also, it's more expensive.

ohcrapitsnico said:
Fair enough although I still find I can get things in Singapore that I can't get in the states or at least cheaper. Depends what you want and where you go.:) I'm in Marine parade and tend to saty over there. Holland village and the other heartland malls are pretty good. I tend to stay away from downtown and orchard street.

I think the problem is Singapore has a lack of factory outlets. Also, the market is too small for much economies of scale.

ohcrapitsnico said:
Really all the beaches suck in Singapore unless trashy beaches and sewage water is your thing.

Sentosa is clean but fake. I'll take clean, I guess. Not like the other beaches tend to be real anyway.

ohcrapitsnico said:
You sure Scotts is gone? Thats too bad. :(

Yeah, demolished.

Well, Singapore doesn't actually have its own cuisine, at most unique items that are adapted from others. You basically trade taste and authenticity for safety (in terms of health as well) and relative convenience. Also, it's more expensive.

I never said it did. The fact that is has a lot of different cuisines available is neat. I would argue with you that the food in Singapore is some of the best but that would be pointless. I can spend 10 bucks at a hawker center and get several of my favorite dishes and a jug of sugar cane, pretty cheap IMO especially given the cleanliness and taste. I go to Singapore for family and friends too.

Sentosa is clean but fake. I'll take clean, I guess. Not like the other beaches tend to be real anyway.

Well as I said Bintan is a nice alternative.:)

I never said it did. The fact that is has a lot of different cuisines available is neat. I would argue with you that the food in Singapore is some of the best but that would be pointless. I can spend 10 bucks at a hawker center and get several of my favorite dishes and a jug of sugar cane, pretty cheap IMO especially given the cleanliness and taste. I go to Singapore for family and friends too.

I think that's the biggest draw there. And I agree variety wise it's pretty cool. It's just that when I have, say, satay, I find myself missing the satay back in Indonesia.

ohcrapitsnico said:
Well as I said Bintan is a nice alternative.:)

I'm too lazy...

Also I'm wondering about Cambodia. I want to see the Angkor Wat and such but with recent Thai-Cambodian border issues and such as well as landmines how safe is it?

I went to Cambodia (Phnom Penh and Siem Reap) this past December and enjoyed my time there. Of course, these "border issues" weren't as inflamed, but I think your concerns about landmines are unnecessary. I would recommend going, and, as long as you stay in the main areas, you'll be fine.

Top Bottom