Tribal Villages

Verkinix

Chieftain
Is there a way to modify tribal village behavior like percent chance to get particular bonuses and such? I tried to do a search, but 8 million posts came up and none of them pertained to this. I just want to eliminate getting maps of the region from huts because I prefer to explore it all myself.

Thanks

In Assets/XML/GameInfo/CIV4HandicapInfo.xml are all the difficulties listed.

On each difficulty you can find this tag, thisone is taken from the Settler difficulty:
Code:
			<Goodies>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_HIGH_GOLD</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_LOW_GOLD</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_LOW_GOLD</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_MAP</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_SETTLER</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_SETTLER</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_WARRIOR</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_WARRIOR</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_SCOUT</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_WORKER</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_WORKER</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_EXPERIENCE</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_HEALING</GoodyType>
				<GoodyType>GOODY_TECH</GoodyType>
			</Goodies>
Just remove <GoodyType>GOODY_MAP</GoodyType> from all Difficulties and Tribal Villages will never reveal maps anymore.

The number of times the GoodyType recurs is the probability of its being the result of a goody hut. So, at Settler level, there are four chances for HighGold, 2 of LowGold, 1 of map and so forth.

And in GoodyInfos you could probably even create new GoodyTypes

<GoodyInfo>
<Type>GOODY_BARBARIANS_VERYSTRONG</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_GOODY_BARBARIANS</Description>
<Sound>AS2D_GOODY_HOSTILE</Sound>
<iGold>0</iGold>
<iGoldRand1>0</iGoldRand1>
<iGoldRand2>0</iGoldRand2>
<iMapOffset>0</iMapOffset>
<iMapRange>0</iMapRange>
<iMapProb>0</iMapProb>
<iExperience>0</iExperience>
<iHealing>0</iHealing>
<iDamagePrereq>0</iDamagePrereq>
<bTech>0</bTech>
<bBad>1</bBad>
<UnitClass>NONE</UnitClass>
<BarbarianClass>UNITCLASS_KNIGHT</BarbarianClass>
<iBarbarianUnitProb>60</iBarbarianUnitProb>
<iMinBarbarians>3</iMinBarbarians>
</GoodyInfo>

Let me put it another way.

Currently the scenario is just a WBS map, no frills.

But I want to modify the huts' behavior. So that it gives, say, nukes instead of maps.

I understood it's done with both files:
Assets/XML/GameInfo/CIV4HandicapInfo.xml
and
Assets/XML/GameInfo/CIV4GoodieInfo.xml

But if I modify those files, with these names, in that location, I will modify the behavior for all games (expectedly). I don't want that.

So, how do I modify those files for use with my map, and only that particular map?

Maybe I have to create a directory under mods and keep them there together???
Maybe the ModPath= line in the WBS file has something to do with it?
Maybe something completely different?

Hello? :)

Create a Mod folder of the name of your idea and place it in tho MODS folder of your game version.
inside, create two folders: PublicMaps and Assets, place your Worldbuilder in the publicmaps.
Inside Assets create a folder Called XML, and copy the needed files like handicapinfos to this folder.

Tweak THESE files, not the originals.

Then if you load up Civ, go Advanced, Load Mod, then choose your mod, you should see it will play on your map with your modified goody infos.

Ok. Here's my results after several tries.

I did that in two places: the My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/MODS and Programs\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods, one at a time.

I removed from CIV4HandicapInfo.xml, level Settler, the possibility of huts generating anything but workers, warriors and techs.

The game used the default CIV4HandicapInfo. It only "obeyed me" when I modified the main game files. I mean, it kept giving gold and settlers too.

In the meantime I suppose the game won't offer a goody you can't make yourself.

So:
- I might not be telling the game where to find the files (as in the WBS line ModPath=)
- More files might be missing besides CIV4HandicapInfo.xml and CIV4GoodyInfo.xml
- My XML syntax can be wrong
- Something else I can't even figure out

Just in case, I'm appending the files here.

Attachments

• HutTest.zip
    15.9 KB · Views: 66
I'll look at this and see if I can get it right.
Is this for Vanilla or BtS? If its for BtS
put this here:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods/HutTestMod

According to the graphic of your former placement you have BtS but were trying to put it with Vanilla mods. Further, you need all those additional folders like I put there, not just the XML files. Also, the mod path for the scenario is only necessary if you want to be able to just open the scenario and have it start the mod that it uses. If you start the mod and then open the scenario from the menu instead of a random map, the path is not necessary. Also, if you are playing on Settler you need to get better. Check out the strategies forum.

Attachments

• HutTestMod.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 48
I'll look at this and see if I can get it right.
Is this for Vanilla or BtS? [snip]

It's for vanilla (with the currently available updates).

Further, you need all those additional folders like I put there, not just the XML files. Also, the mod path for the scenario is only necessary if you want to be able to just open the scenario and have it start the mod that it uses. If you start the mod and then open the scenario from the menu instead of a random map, the path is not necessary.

Ah! Thanks, so maybe the xml wasn't read for lack of these files? Indeed if I selected it from Advanced/Load a Mod the mod didn't load and I got the regular menu back.

So, about the path line, altogether, it's not BAD to have the path there, as it will work if the scenario is loaded as a map (a scenario) but will do nothing if loaded via Advanced/Load Mod. Am I right?

Also, if you are playing on Settler you need to get better.

:) I'm playing it on settler so that I only have to modify the settler part on the handicap xml file, so that I can contain/compartmentalize the modifications to the files while testing the modifications.

Of course I could play it as Deity, provided I modified that section, which I didn't. Settler comes up first in the xml files, and is safer for in-game testing.

Top Bottom