Troop transports for ST MOD

I understand you have worked a long time on this MOD, Deanej, and want now to do other things, but please, please, please, please, pretty, pretty please, give us the Troop Transport mod for ST - it can factor in "virtual troops" as proposed above, so it is just a question of creating a new type of ship, based on a Colony hull, and planetary defences, which could be accumulated as individual "bunker networks", a la BOTF, without the actual need for discrete troops units. I doubt that it can come from anyone but you and it will then complete the great spectrum of strategy choices any of the ST races must make; you know your Mod won't be complete til then. :)

Live long and prosper.

Cmcastl: why is it so important that deanej must do it?

Why do you think he is the only one who can do it?

I've already said I'm going to do it as an FF+ component- and I will make a Star Trek modmod of it (In fact, much like Inhabited Planets and Wormholes, it'll start as an ST modmod).

Many, many apologies, TCO1!

I thought you might do it for Final Frontier but not ST! It is not important that he do it but that it is done.

Live long and prosper.

I do hope TCO1 that you will keep me in the loop on your ideas for the MOD.

Particularly how you consider factoring the number of troop transports to the defensive value of the planet. Will you use exist Civ IV combat tables suitably modified? Or something of your own devising?

Here are some of my ideas, again! :) The troop transports of the various races can be modified coloney ships. As you can deploy more than one troop transport in a system invasion fleet, so perhapxs you can add more than one "bunker network", for want of a better term, the term is taken from Birth of the Federation, to a planet. You don't need to specify I think particular sorts of units like marine or armour, the virtual units can be considered "all arms". In which case, though, how would one work out if one had enough troop transports for the task. Could one develop more advanced troop transports which could carry more than one "virtual" unit of troops. Could they have some ability to defend themselves, as they have in Master of Orion 3?

I would much appreciate it if you shared some of your thoughts with me. I do realise that the mod can't be too sophisticated as it is giving strategic options which Civ IV was never designed to provide. I just want something that gives an extra problem or two on whether or not one should invade a system? And an extra defence if you opponent, real or AI does. :)

Live long and prosper.

TC01

How is the Troop transport coming along, old sport? ;)

Sorry for the delay in responding! Mainly because I haven't had anything to report about this.

I have the basics of this working in FF+ 1.7 (just coded it recently, in fact), which should be released shortly. Probably a Star Trek modmod will be released shortly too.

At the moment, it's solely a "bTroopTransport units can take enemy solar systems when gameoption is on" implementation. That's because I just gave the ability to be a troop transport to the FF Invasion Ship, a unit which theoretically is good at taking cities but I've rarely used in my FF(+) games.

The system could further be refined in the ST modmod, but it would probably be built around the existing Civ 4 combat system- troop transports garrisoned in a city could give a defensive bonus.

Some system of "troop promotions" could be added, perhaps swappable out in solar systems like the FFH 2 ship "crew promotions" system (a choice of "crew promotions" is provided whenever one of your ships enters one of your cities).

Sorry for the delay in responding! Mainly because I haven't had anything to report about this.

I have the basics of this working in FF+ 1.7 (just coded it recently, in fact), which should be released shortly. Probably a Star Trek modmod will be released shortly too.

At the moment, it's solely a "bTroopTransport units can take enemy solar systems when gameoption is on" implementation. That's because I just gave the ability to be a troop transport to the FF Invasion Ship, a unit which theoretically is good at taking cities but I've rarely used in my FF(+) games.

The system could further be refined in the ST modmod, but it would probably be built around the existing Civ 4 combat system- troop transports garrisoned in a city could give a defensive bonus.

Some system of "troop promotions" could be added, perhaps swappable out in solar systems like the FFH 2 ship "crew promotions" system (a choice of "crew promotions" is provided whenever one of your ships enters one of your cities).

Sounds good. I like the idea of the ship that is vulnerable in space combat but dominates in attacking/defending systems, but for various reasons I haven't gotten to it. Looking forward to your release for sure.

Does the AI use the special promotions you talk about effectively? That is another reason I like the idea of just a special unit as I would be afraid that the AI wouldn't use the promotions to their benefit.

TC01, live long and prosper, old sport! :)

I very, very much look forward to this mod!

But as you seem to have appreciated, to give the mod a real richness and strategic layering there needs to be a defensive option which can be invested in, something resembling the "bunker option" in Star Trek: Birth of the Federation.

Top Bottom