Troublemaking criminals

stachnie

Theorist
I play with a quite recent SVN version (9016 or so). I started to get event (a new one?) when troublemaking criminals (thiefs and rogues) appear in my cities. I think they could not be sent by the other civs because they are separated by sea and I am the only civ with Seafaring :) (or maybe they found a way to transport units with Catamarans). How to get rid of these units and possibly prevent such events? The criminals are sitting in cities and I have found no way to kill them.

S.

I know that, but this is not the case. No civ owns any sea tile adjacent to a coastal tile next to my continent.

S.

With SVN 9016 you are just starting to get Thunderbrd's new line of Criminal units showing up. Lots of changes in store for you. Apparently you don't read the threads here very often. ;)

Suggestion: Update your SVN version to 9075 to get the full set of Criminals, Ruffians and new LE units.

Warning: Don't update to any version after 9098 or you won't be able to continue your game.

JosEPh

I play with a quite recent SVN version (9016 or so). I started to get event (a new one?) when troublemaking criminals (thiefs and rogues) appear in my cities. I think they could not be sent by the other civs because they are separated by sea and I am the only civ with Seafaring :) (or maybe they found a way to transport units with Catamarans). How to get rid of these units and possibly prevent such events? The criminals are sitting in cities and I have found no way to kill them.

S.

They are barbarian criminals being spawned by your own buildings in your city. You can keep it from happening entirely by keeping crime under 0 but that's very difficult to do as we know. So you'll end up dealing with some at times and that's pretty much how it goes. What this means is that it becomes valuable to know the information posted here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14144054#post14144054 on how to deal with local criminals.

Is the Investigation/Arrest system fully implemented as of SVN9199? I've had criminals parked in my cities for hundreds of turns with crime levels significantly negative, despite fully upgraded Investigation-line units in the cities with them. Displayed Investigation values are on the order of 15-25%, whereas displayed Insidiousness values are on the order of 1-5%. Investigating crime fighters are periodically gaining XP, but I've yet to see any kind of arrest option.

Furthermore, assassinations are impossible. If the criminal in question is visible due to dogs, the assassin unit (Assassin, Master Ranger/Warden) simply cannot enter the city. If the criminals are invisible, entering the city makes them visible, but the assassination button itself is broken. Clicking it brings up a (______/No) choice menu, with the first one being a blank button that does nothing.

For what it's worth, my current game is with Fight or Flight OFF, Hide and Seek OFF, Size Matters OFF, NPC at peace ON.

Short answer, it's Full implementation got interrupted. Testing for the 1st 3 Options Off was not completed. It was all interrupted by the House Cleaning that caused Save Game Compatibility to be broken for several SVN cycles.

Current status is it's on hold while it's author deals with some RL issues that is taking his Modding time away.

JosEPh

Is the Investigation/Arrest system fully implemented as of SVN9199? I've had criminals parked in my cities for hundreds of turns with crime levels significantly negative, despite fully upgraded Investigation-line units in the cities with them. Displayed Investigation values are on the order of 15-25%, whereas displayed Insidiousness values are on the order of 1-5%. Investigating crime fighters are periodically gaining XP, but I've yet to see any kind of arrest option.

Furthermore, assassinations are impossible. If the criminal in question is visible due to dogs, the assassin unit (Assassin, Master Ranger/Warden) simply cannot enter the city. If the criminals are invisible, entering the city makes them visible, but the assassination button itself is broken. Clicking it brings up a (______/No) choice menu, with the first one being a blank button that does nothing.

For what it's worth, my current game is with Fight or Flight OFF, Hide and Seek OFF, Size Matters OFF, NPC at peace ON.

Post a save in the bugs and crashes thread. I'd like to do some investigating.

Post a save in the bugs and crashes thread. I'd like to do some investigating.
Will do once I get back home.

If the implementation got interrupted, that likely explains the lack of Arrest functionality, and the XP gains on the Investigating units probably correspond to a successful Investigation vs Insidiousness check.

Regarding assassination failure, rechecking the wording on assassination seems to indicate that the issue is lack of appropriate target type on the units I attempting to assassinate the criminals with. That is, Assassins don't have Criminals on their target list, unlike the later Scoundrels that are mentioned in the other thread. I'm pretty close to Renaissance so I'll recheck assassination of criminals once I get Scoundrels.

If I recall correctly on the issue with inability to enter my own city due to a dog-revealed criminal, it only applied to units with stealth combat or assassination abilities (again, a Master Ranger later upgraded to Master Warden, and Assassins). Using the option for the Assassins to stop attacking on movement (Stay the hand or something?) let them enter. The Master Ranger would get a quick flash of a combat odds calculation, then stop movement. I'll recheck this when I get home and post a save as well.

On the SVN this is fixed as far as I can see but I know there's a lurking bug somewhere in assassination still. Haven't seen the issue directly on a save yet and now that all saves have been broken, I'd need one from the current assets.

On the SVN this is fixed as far as I can see but I know there's a lurking bug somewhere in assassination still. Haven't seen the issue directly on a save yet and now that all saves have been broken, I'd need one from the current assets.
What's the lurking bug in assassination you're referring to?

What's the lurking bug in assassination you're referring to?
SO posted a screenshot where the assassination command was available but there were no available targets once it was selected. I need to find a replicable case where this happens because it really should be impossible. If there's no targets to assassinate then the action should not be showing as available.

Aha, found his post. I'll keep an eye out if or when a game of my own reaches that stage, or maybe set up a test case later. I know you fixed some issues with improper caching that could lead to that situation a while back, so I don't know if the problem still exists on current assets.

Top Bottom