1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying for the elusive Deity win (guidance appreciated)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by redwings1340, Aug 27, 2013.

1. MarshalN

MarshalN Prince

Poland really is pretty OP. I played with them once and cruised to victory because of all the policies, so I haven't done it since...

Good read!

2. Maxym

Maxym King

Good job, ballsy move to force your freedom on people as the world ideology. You supported it well with patro policies and having the ability to buy SS parts helps. Good finish time too, was there no military CSs to give you units? If you are so havily in patro you can basically forget unit building and just run with what you get. Just build a small navy.

If you ever want to improve finish times, rush buying science buildings really helps, as I noticed you were hard building them. PSs and RLs really boost you up. GL with your studies and hope to hear more from you in the future.

3. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Thanks!

I was planning on rush buying either buying public schools or factories, but then I needed to buy up city states if I could get freedom to be the world ideology. I had enough money to do either but not both, and at that moment I thought that getting freedom would be nice because the way I was playing, it was simply the best ideology out there for me.

I didn't buy research labs because my cities had pretty good production, and I was focusing on buying city states, but with Big Ben especially, I probably should have. Still, the +science from allying city states is definitely pretty substantial too, and I doubt the decision to spend money on that instead of research labs costed me more than perhaps a turn or two. Still, yeah, I'll keep that tip in mind next time. Buying science buildings = more science earlier = awesome.

For the militaristic city states, they were there and they were giving me units. I even got a camel archer from one of them! I got arsenal of democracy though, so I was going around gifting units to city states very often too, and instead of going for absolute fastest time, I wanted to make sure I was safe, because I figured I had a few turns to waste to ensure a victory. I never felt overly threatened by anyone, but just in case, I wanted to make sure I could build military academy bombers and fighters quickly and have a couple in case I was attacked, basically as a defensive insurance thing. Basically, building up my military and military infrastructure was just me being cautious more than anything else.

4. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

wow! Great job! And thanks for your advice on my post! I think I'll cut back and try to make smaller empires work next time. :) Prince was fairly easy other than being with 3 warmongers and I've been about 10 techs ahead for a while. I can't seem to stop them from stealing though. I may jump to emperor...sounds like a good balance that might shore up some of the AI limitations...especially in war.

5. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Thanks!

The AI will always be a terrible war tactician, but on higher difficulties they will make up for it by having way more troops. On the subject of spies, here's what I do when I'm in the tech lead.
    1) move a lvl 1 spy in to my capital
    2) smile when another civ gets away with a tech, and forgive them.
    3) laugh maniacally when my spy kills their spy to gain a level
    4) When my spy becomes level 3, move my spy out of the capital to do some city state work (or if there's another close to tech leader, spy on them)
    5) move another lvl 1 spy in my capital
    6) repeat

If they get away with a tech, they benefit a little. If they don't get away with a tech, it's a free level farming system! Either way it's basically a win for you. Enemy spies in your capital are awesome!

6. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

lol, well I hadn't made it a system yet, but I just figured that out...gotten 2 lvls so far since I moved a spy into my capital. I guess advisors are useful occasionally. ;)

Oh, and btw, happiness problem is now solved. Turns out I was 2 techs away from the stadium build and 2 policies away from the trading tree policy protectionism. That and some diligent gold-farming for colosseums and theaters did the trick. Now I have +52 happiness. :D and the bonus is going toward culture.

After reading this post I realized I may have forgotten to uncheck the diplo victory. Is this a problem? I'm winning in pretty much everything but I only have about 2/5 of the city states allied with me currently...most of the others are just friends.

7. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Diplo victory is fine, I just uncheck it because I consider it too easy and very unsatisfying. As long as there isn't one AI allied with every city state, you should be fine. If you're in G+K someone has to construct the UN too, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm pretty sure you'll get adequate warning if anyone is about to win this too.

Your getting back up in happiness was what I was talking about by going through periods of conquest and peace. You use the conquest to gain as much land as your happiness allows, and then you use the peace to build back up that land to a solid state of happiness and technology. Then, when you're stable, declare war again and conquer some more land!

8. Sessy

Sessy Prince

Yeah...diplo is not hard with venice+treaty organization. But try a game with AI venice, alex, and austria, diplo would be a pain.

Also, just to point it out, a cargo ship and a trade route slot can give +8 food easily in the medieval era and only increases afterwards. In comparison lake victoria is +6 and hanging gardens is +6.