TSG15 After Action Report

Oh well, just read how to save after I just quit the game having not saved the file properly. Anyway, my first gotm but nothing spectacular, domination win on turn 314 with a score of 4087.
You might want to read the rules again. You are asked to win a certain VC. In this case it was Science. Getting a domination VC, while still cool, does not make your submission valid. :) Still, grats on the effort and see you next round!

You might want to read the rules again. You are asked to win a certain VC. In this case it was Science. Getting a domination VC, while still cool, does not make your submission valid. :) Still, grats on the effort and see you next round!
While it is true that we designate a VC, a player may win by any VC they choose and submit a valid game.

When we publish the results, players are listed by fastest date for the designated VC, then by fastest date for all other VC's and finally, in a separate listing, by score.

Oh don't worry, I know it isn't a "valid" submission and frankly don't care, I was just posting because I tried out the game, enjoyed it a lot, and wanted to leave a report to share my experience, FWIW. I'll definitely pay more attention next time, though ;)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 15
Date submitted: 2011-07-12
Reference number: 24551
Your name: tommynt
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1480AD
Turns played: 208
Base score: 1376
Final score: 3356
Time played: 5:51:00
Submitted save: Washington_0208 - 1480 n. Chr..Civ5Save
Renamed file: tommynt_C501501.Civ5Save

puh, this thing took quite some time.

While my 1. 100 turns were pretty straightforward - wonder spaming a lot - after about turn 1000 the action really started - concquered russia and egypt and a bit of persia aswell - LS got nerfed a bit - but 3 of em + a gen still cut the butter ai.

It s a shame that they didnt fix ai action or diplomacy- it still declares war totaly random and fights so poor ... - at least random for me -

Sp been kinda: 2 trad - fill liberty - fill rationalism tree.

Think thats pretty much best choise for any non wargame now - patronage got nerfed too much - and trad tree sukz to bad to fill it early.
The "happy tree" looks now a bit better and I could imagine a game filling it right once class era starts and use the happy and cult boost to fill other trees after

used 7 scientists + rationalism + some RAs to rush throguh modern era - no RAs before - right my 1. RA was Dowed few turn before finish - that was enough to piss me off and do only RAs with civs I scared (killed) before.
This unpredicable AI really is against my "builders heart" and looks like military to show strength is only succesful way to play this game now.

But on other hand is killing too easy to be fun

edit: time played 5:51??? - this beast took me like 2 weeks - how can it show time as 5:51?

edit2: gonna write a bit more:
BO been something like like scout - monument - (buy worker, buy scout) - granny - GL (wait to finish for CS) - settler - NC - gardens - smith - Oracle - University - Observatory - more wonders.
Tech like - writing - Philo - traping - (rush CS) Calendar - Math - towards Astro - towards steel - towards public shools

GL is even stronger now and is a must build early on imo - you just have to make sure to get prequisite techs for a medival tech to rush.
Maybe doing lower tree after writing to math and enggineering for HG and a aque right afetr might be same good as Philo (NC) - rush CS.
But the NC boost is still huge and helps a lot.

Happyness been allways pretty sharp but somehow just "OK" with building every happy building available - had lot of pupets but the happy hit wasnt as bad as expected (had also like 1 new lux in each city I conquered)

edit2:

Very nice game, tommynt!

How many cities did you settle? And where?

LS got nerfed a bit - but 3 of em + a gen still cut the butter ai.

How did you get iron? Did you settle a city to get it or from CS? In my game i chanced on the CS's, but they refused to hook up the iron and I had to delay my conquering until minutemen+cannons

1818 AD.

Posted my experiences up to Astro (turn 108) in Game in Progress thread. Basic summary: Stonehenge/GL/NC/HS/PT/ND by then. Three additional cities- New York N, Boston E, Philadelphia W.

I met Arabia on turn 154 and they had ridiculous gold. They started buying up city states (which I wanted to help me get through Rationalism on time, plus the science was at least a minor plus) so I DOWd on turn 197. This had little consequences, I think. China did DOW me shortly after, and the Iroquois a bit after that. The Iroquois army was quite large and bombardment-heavy and they captured Philadelphia. I retook it after a while but it did slightly reduce science/culture output.

I entered Modern Era on turn 249, just before India conquered China and I retook Philly. I entered the Future era on turn 261 and completed Apollo on 263. Philadelphia built a booster (yes, started <10 turns after being recaptured, that western site was good for production plus the Factory wasn't destroyed), Boston built a component, and NY and DC each built a booster and a component. Won on 279, easily ahead in science.

Now it's time to ramble.

RAs have been nerfed but with PT and Rationalism they give you a (median) tech. So if you have 15 techs to go, you have 6 RAs coming due, Scientific Revolution, Oxford, and 6 GSs, you are done. You also do not need to think "Should I wait a few turns to sign this RA?" as I occasionally did pre-patch to make sure I'd be able to block Mathematics or something like that. In addition, Scholasticism has received an epic nerf somehow (was there something about CSs not building the NC anymore?), thus making RAs if anything more important than they were pre-patch.

Getting through Rationalism was hard. I finished it just in time, don't want to know how it would have gone if I'd let Arabia buy the 3 or 4 culture CSs I had. Those post- #10 policies (5 + opener in liberty, 1-2 + opener in Tradition, 3 + opener in Patronage) are tough, and I had Stonehenge, the Oracle, the CSs, I think the Sistine Chapel, and Monasteries.

Happiness was annoying, though I finally have some appreciation for the Americans' ability to lock down access to 3rd ring luxes on settlement of new cities.

AI seems very aggressive. It's not quite at the level of Total War (if Human = Neighbor + Not ally, then declare war) but I was in a fairly isolated position and got declared on four times, at least once by each neighbor. Also, Egypt and China got eliminated late so I wasn't the only one feeling the heat. Caveat: I had no military beyond a Warrior/Chariot Archer for most of the game. My next game I will try to develop a more numerous military but I know that when I'm playing for peace I'm not going to be close to the AI's raw numbers and so likely vulnerable to DOWs.

Ghandi nuked me (Moscow). :cool:

I would actually have been first to space, I think... except for one little detail... the Arabs bought themselves a diplomatic victory.

The beginning game the AI were friendly. Then I went to take a CS by force to get iron. Still friendly. Then I decide its time to wipe China from earth... all of sudden I am worlds worst villain. From here on out, the only AI who did not hate me and regularly DOW me (usually all on the same turn) were the Arabs who I had not met at the time I was the aggressor on China + CS.

This is why Arabs could keep up... they were the only ones who will trade with me, but they trade with everyone else (tons of RA's).

The AI are very stupid. (I guess I'm even stupider for losing to them?:lol:) They DOW and refuse to make peace even when we all know I will kick their butts. They don't sit back and defend, they throw everything at an invulnerable target, then leave you to mop them up (the only thing that stops a total rout is that taking cities even just to raze them will eventually put you into "very unhappy" and your casualty rate gets too high). I think next time I just do like Basta and go for the win that is available rather than stubbornly aim for the designated VC. At least as long as we're stuck on Emperor difficulty...

Very nice game, tommynt!

How many cities did you settle? And where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommynt View Post
LS got nerfed a bit - but 3 of em + a gen still cut the butter ai.
How did you get iron? Did you settle a city to get it or from CS? In my game i chanced on the CS's, but they refused to hook up the iron and I had to delay my conquering until minutemen+cannons

4 Cities overall,
Cap on Hill
1. one east towards russia (obvious spot ..)
2. North on Cow for whales
3. West, lot of horses and 2 Lux available there

anexed Moscow very late in game to build 1 SS part
had about 100 bakkers around turns 100 and 600 in the end

and well some think my playstyle might be "exploitive" but with this ai devs are offering and even patching it just isnt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date submitted: 2011-07-14
Reference number: 24559
Your name: Attaturk
Game date: 1550AD
Turns played:220
Base score: 1015
Final score: 2306
Time played: 3:04:00
----------------------------------------

Very fun game. My fastest science win ever. Love the new RA model.

Settled Washington on Incense close to a mountain (2 incense 1 sugar)
Settled New York, East on the hill close to a mountain (2 incense 1 dyes)

Later got three more cities from Cathy (she declared on me, I Had to respond), Moscow which build me a space part and two small cities with gold and wine.

Policies were:

Full Tradition (love the money, happy and pop boost. My final city sizes were:

Freedom Opened,

Rationalism Right Side
Rationlistm Left Side

Had one spare scientist which I did not use. I was going to use it for Plastics to boost my production, but Hia declared on me 1 turn before RA was complete, so I didn't get Refrigeration from him.

I saved all GS for the end game.

With new cool wonders, I was trying to hit at least GL, HG and +10 happy.

Part 1 GL-NC:

Science path: Pot-Wri-AH-Philo-Trap-(used GL for CS)-CS
Build Scout, Partial Monument, Granary, Completed Monument, GL, build Settler while waiting for Trap, GL, NC, Finish Settler.

Part 2 HG-Notred Dame (+10 food, +10 happy)

Sci: Arch-Wheel-Math (start HG) - Theo - (Start Sophie) - Edu - (Engineer from Sophie builds Notred Dame)

Part 3: Hard research astro

Bought University in Washington to speed things up and keep Wash on Wonder duty.

Just before hitting astro signed up 2 RAs

Part 4: Machinery - Physics - Chivalry - Printing Press - ... Scientific Theory

Cathy and Wu declared on me on turn 114.
I had two archers which I upgraded to Xbows.
Had one Pike (upgraded from warrior).
Bought myself a city state close to cathy which had 2 iron and built Two catapults which were upgraded to Trebs in a few turns.
Build two more pikes and went to capture a few Russian cities.

Wu offered peace which I took, 2 treb 3 pikes and 2 xbows were enough to grab 3 cities from cathy after which she was very peaceful. Lost one xbow during attack on Moscow.

Signed a round of 5 RAs ending around turns 170. Signed 7 RAs at about 170. (One got broken by Hiawatha).

City States, I mostly did not use.

I bought one on occasion if it had luxuries my cities demanded. I bought one for Iron to get me some catapults.

Close to the end, I wanted to finish rationalism so that I can use scientific revolution before RA completion starts hitting.

On the turn I finished Space Program, I used oxford univercity and the rest of the scientist to finish the rest of the tree.

Washington build times were

Moscow was far away, so I only had it build the engine at 9T + 1T travel to Wash

New York was close and build two cheaper parts 6T-5T

I think this is all.

Reference number: 24562
Your name: Derfel_82
Game date: 1854AD
Turns played: 297
Base score: 1307
Final score: 2215
Time played: 4:40:00
Submitted save: Washington_0297 AD-1854.Civ5Save

Settled Washington on Incense close to a mountain (2 incense 1 sugar)
Settled New York, near whales and sugar next to Florence
Settled Boston, East on the hill close to a mountain (2 incense 1 dyes)

Allied with Florence and Bucharest very early so i tried to have more CS to

Conquered Belgrade after.

Go to Liberty SP - Patronage and Rationalism not in this order

A lot of DoW (i did few units in begining), some time i´m in war whit Wu, Cathy, Ramesses and Hiatha.

Took a lot of cities of Hiatha and Wu.

But i can´t do much RA because everione hates me.

Sorry about my English.

Reference number: 24564
Your name: Maxym
Game date: 1645AD
Turns played: 239
Base score: 1104
Final score: 2348
Time played: 23:47:00
Submitted save: Washington_0239 AD-1645.Civ5Save

My first full game after new patch, it reset on me when i was playing GOTM 12 or 13 with Elisabeth and diplo and it added at least extra 50 turns to my finish there. Here somehow i improved my previous best science finish by 50 turns, go figure.

SP wise I went for trad opener, honor for culture kills (made lots of those), and liberty for free settler then filled patronage, one commerce and finally most of rationalism. built ton of wonders, thanks to C.Itza run GA for last 60 or 80 turns and still had my GGs to burn so i should have started earlier.

I think AI played muc better strategically, still not a master tactician, but with nerfed LSM i had my counterattack on Russia stall at Moscow gates. What i liked was that once Cathy was beat she turned friendly for the rest of the game, and since she was a RA and resource buyer i left her alone. When i was singning peace to rest my two LSM (lack of iron) and archers i fully expected to DOW her soon to get more luxuries. Since i was getting them in peace deal and i saw she was nut turning on me i started signing RAs with her and obviously left her in peace.

I noticed i only got dowed when my borders touched with a neighbour, Wu was a repeat offender and it cost her dearly. 2nd Dow was a backstab as well, but at that point she only had Beiojing and i was going to take it for my 3rd spaceship city. I settled only 1 besides capital and ended up with 4 pupets.

Also AI ganged up on Darius whom in medieval times seemed to be running away with it. they all asked me to join and i did since he took out Quebec, my maritime ally, and i did not appreciate that. So i liberated it and he sued for eace soon after.

Arabs were swimming in gold and i had to keep buying my culture and food CSs back from him. Hiawatha stayed peaceful but he did have a boatloads of troops crossing through my territorry at all times. towards the end i was denunced by most, not sure for what reason prolly coz i was way ahead by that time.

it was a really fun game, i really like the new RA format and think this game is going in the right direction. cant wait for a new one.

Cheers everybody,

heres a short overview of my game - my fastest ever science victory.

Date submitted: 2011-07-15
Reference number: 24566
Your name: subber
Game date: 1882AD
Turns played: 311
Base score: 1210
Final score: 1951
Time played: 3:58:00
Submitted save: Washington_0311 - 1882 n. Chr..Civ5Save
Renamed file: subber_C501501.Civ5Save

Until turn 80, please refer to the game in progress section.
Afterwards I built the HG, PT. No other Civ built any wonder until around turn 120.
Got Astro around t110. Built also Eiffel Tower lateron.
I built 4 cities in total. Capital on the Hill 1W, NY to the right at the mountain with 2 incense, one city west at the whales and the fourth on the island off the coast with sheep stone and 2 fish.

I did not attack the Chinese anymore but rather attacked Russia and took almost all of its cities and puppeted them. Lots of resources later on(oil, coal, aluminium).

Allied with 7 CS, with all of the patronage tree filled out.

Could have rolled over Ghandi who had the north of the continent and quite some military (east was with Darius). The Arabs had a lot of money and military forces but were never a threat. Others neither.

At end game getting two free techs from the respective SP was a help.

Versus my previous games (400+ turns) this game was really fast. Could have been sub 300 with more management, for example didnt build Oxford and didnt max out RAs. I havent been able to get a lot of cash from resources anymore - sometimes just 100 gold for lux.

Finished spaceship when Ghandi and Arab finished Apollo.

I assume though that the game now more intelligently manages the great person slots in factory / university etc. All my slots were filled everywhere.
Happiness was mostly between -3 and +7, could have improved with SPs, but others were more important...

I scouted west, then moved my settler onto the hill. Build order was: Scout, Scout, (purchase worker), Settler, (purchase worker), Granary, (free settler), Great Library, Monument, National College.

Spoiler Turn 38 Screenshot :
When I saw that all three cities could build Observatories, I decided to focus my happiness on vertical growth. I didn't build or conquer any more cities for the rest of the game.

I did attack Belgrade to steal a couple workers and create a couple great generals.

Washington built Great Library, Hagia Sophia, Porcelain Tower.
New York built Hanging Gardens, Notre Dame.

I allied 6 city-states and unlocked Scholasticism while waiting for Porcelain Tower / Rationalism.

Spoiler Turn 92 Screenshot :
Catherine declared war on me, but I easily held the mountain chokepoints and took straight peace when she offered it.

I signed all 9 of my research agreements during the Renaissance. 3 were used to beeline for Public Schools, and the others were saved for Industrial/Modern techs.

I used two great scientists for Electricity, which bumped up the median tech and allowed me to clear Metallurgy -> Railroad in two RAs. Then I used my remaining scientists to unlock Rocketry on turn 172.

Free Tech Stats:
9 Research Agreements
6 GS from cities
1 GS from Porcelain Tower
1 GS from Hagai Sophia
1 GS from Liberty
1 from Oxford University
1 from Scientific Revolution (should have skipped Scholasticism to finish it faster!)

I also popped a final GS after the tech tree was done, and used him for a golden age.

Spoiler Turn 201 Screenshots :

gj Dave - thought my 208 was pretty good allready - Im just figuring that u can buy spaceship parts - with that knowledge I might have shaved of few (lot) turns .... didnt even think about that.

Well seems RAs are still the way to go - had about 600 bakkers (with maxed science more like 700) in the end while u got 300 (wells proly sold some buildings) and still ur ahead - just wonder why for example Iroqu didnt DOW you with your city kinda in their territory.
Civs Dowed me totaly random all game

yep gg Dave!

I also had a city up close to Hiawatha and got DoW'ed twice (both time costing me a RA), but my city was settled in turn 80ish while Dave settled before turn 40. Maybe Hiawatha didnt see his city as much as a provocation as mine? (which was right on his border at that time)

You can't buy spaceship parts, my income is negative from buying every cultural CS on the map. ;)

The capital built the final part in 7 turns without a spaceship factory, so it didn't matter much. It's all about when you finish the tech tree.

Dave, amazing 201 finish!

I noticed that you and tommynt settled the capital on hill tile next to the mountain, as opposed to on the incense across the river (also next to the mountain).

That position grabs more luxuries and specials, plus allows to work extra hill tile, brings and takes care of the low production incense tile that cannot be improved much for food or hammers.

I wonder what were you reasoning for settling on the hill.

Also, you settled New York a tile away from river, as opposed to, say on the hill across the river, that would have grabbed an extra luxury and also would have benefited from a watermill.

Yes the incense is a better site, but you need map knowledge to know there is a 3rd luxury.

New York was getting the Hanging Gardens, so I didn't care about rivers that much. I tried to maximize hills and minimize conflict with Russia.

Another question. Do you guys sign RA all on one turn or one turn apart?

In my initial play through I signed final 7 RAs one turn apart.
I did a replay and signed all 7 on on turn. It look as if all on one turn is better. I ended up with the same research position on the same turn even though only 6 RAs were completed (Poor Wu got destroyed), so I only got 6 bulk RAs.

I think that signing 7 RAs in one turn is better, because it allows 6 turns of research into the technology of your choice, as opposed to spending 7 turns to guide where RAs land.

What is your experience?

Top Bottom