TSG15 After Action Report

Awesome games we have here! I tought the new patch would make science victories more harder(longer) since they added some new techs to get and more aggressive AIs. I played my game only 2 days after release(wasn't sure about a lot of things when i tried that) and i pulled a better time than any other science games before!

As i can see i'm not the only one, everyone seems to have improved their finish times. Did they really intended to let players finish earlier? Are we gonna have another patch soon? :lol::crazyeye:

I tought you would finish under 200 turns Dave. I'm disappointed...:rolleyes:

Haha nevermind, awesome game as always.

# of luxuries per cities has still a large influence for gold income. Had 2 cities with 1 total lux only...didn't help for sure. I wasn't comfortable to settle too far and i got beat to whales by China i think. I will check this more attentively next time.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 15
Date submitted: 2011-07-16
Reference number: 24574
Your name: JungleIII
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1890AD
Turns played: 315
Base score: 2553
Final score: 4052
Time played: 14:18:00
Submitted save: JungleIIIWashington_0315 AD-1890.Civ5Save
Renamed file: JungleIII_C501501.Civ5Save

I barely had time to finish game, and always wish I could wander off and get an earlier victory, but I will keep to the intended path as requested. Since it was a new format/version of the game, I would play a little longer anyway.

I know the game is supposed to be harder after the patch, but I had trouble seeing much difference and wonder if it's just that we had a decent map and setting to work with that made it seem no harder than pre-patch.

Anyway - good game and look forward to no pre-determined victory path someday.

I noticed that you and tommynt settled the capital on hill tile next to the mountain, as opposed to on the incense across the river (also next to the mountain).

That position grabs more luxuries and specials, plus allows to work extra hill tile, brings and takes care of the low production incense tile that cannot be improved much for food or hammers.

I ll allways settle a hill if i dont know a position which is better for sure

Date submitted: 2011-07-17
Game date: 1828AD
Turns played: 284
Base score: 1562
Final score: 2789

I am optimistic about the changes in the game. It seems like more fun playing.
I had expected a harder game. It even seems it was going easier then before the update!
Maybe that was due to the map?

I had a NC start, took out the Chinese while I had the chance and late in the game I also made Hiawatha taste some steel (well, they were bullets by that time).
Meanwhile my tech was much faster then anybody else, I even believe that the RA's gave me more science now!

It was fun playing the game and I look forward to the next. :)

Date submitted: 2011-07-18
Reference number: 24582
Your name: Banman
Game date: 1905AD
Turns played: 325
Base score: 1285
Final score: 1976
Time played: 6:34:00
Submitted save: TSG15Washington_0325 AD-1905.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Banman_C501501.Civ5Save

my first GOTM submission --> fun game w/the new patch.

Settled in place and did a GL library start, picked up NC after ... Set up a 4-city core, held off on super-frequent RAs until I had rationalism.

Was attacked by China very early (warrior time) when I was on the edge of getting CS from GL, wiped out their army but didn't have the forces to crack Beijing, so we made peace and were friendly for the rest of their history. Russia attacked out of the blue somewhere in the renaissance, but wasn't able to hold out as I was just about ready to roll out artillery --> conquered mainland Russia except for one coastal city on tundra. Eventually the Iroquois attacked a few turns before my victory, but I allied the military CS between us right beforehand and they got hung up there ... undoubtedly could have plotted my tech path and build sequences tighter to get a better time, but was a fun game, thanks much!

First off, I did not manage to upload it to the GOTM-server, so I attached it to the post here, said "Sorry! Your file does not appear to be for a current Game.". I'm probably a little on the close side to the deadline, though it does say eight hours on the website, so I attached the save to this post. :)

Had a very peaceful game, just playing with the new patch, first game as Washington and first game playing the new patch, had a little to much to do with work as of late. Could have done it sub 300 with a little tighter play, I think the RA system worked really well and I percived the AI harder while negotiating(not accepting fair deals as much, costlier to bribe them to war, and may times not even cash would sway them on eachother).
The AI did a good time killing eachother off, three civs had gotten their capitals captured by the end, only Arabia was saved from war. I got invaded by a renaissance Iroquois just as I hit Electronics, so I took the opportunity to grab three puppets. I got a lot of wonders, settled three cities(Washington, New York and Boston). All three were solid production cities, a little more TP's could probably have shaved some turns on research, as would saving a GS for use to pop Nanotech, since I had to hard research most of that, got three RA's coming in at turn 307 which finished it off, after waiting for eight turns after completing all parts save the Stasis Chamber.

Fun game though, but I think it was on the easy side. I was a little worried that Arabia would build UN, since he had allied all city states, and by a lot too, I tried to wrestle a maritime out of his grasp, but gave up, it was costing to much.

Spoiler :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edit: With the save uploaded, I've removed it from the post. And attached a picture. :)

Thanks for testing the limits of date handling on the new server :)

I've fixed the problem, and uploaded your file. Results were:

Date submitted: 2011-08-01
Reference number: 24669
Your name: Xiziz
Game date: 1886AD
Turns played: 313
Base score: 972
Final score: 1567
Time played: 6:28:00
Submitted save: TSG15_Xiziz.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Xiziz_C501501.Civ5Save

Game date: 1840AD
Turns played: 291
Base score: 1014
Final score: 1748

Pre-holiday notes:- Enjoying this game but will probably only get to post an “in-progress” report as I’m going on vacation and won’t return until close to the game deadline. Settled on the sugar and went for GL whilst taking early Liberty SP (worker then settler). I settled New York on the S Coast to the West of the mountains (lots of hammers plus 2 fish in third ring, should be my military powerhouse) then Philadelphia next to mountains SE of capital (for incense+dyes). Stole a couple of workers from barb camps. After GL, went NC then Hagia Sophia (GE for Porcelain Tower) and am currently almost finished Notre Dame (which seems almost essential for happiness now). Will pop Astro next turn and my 4-visibility scout will then head out to try and find the missing AI. Very peaceful start:- friends with everyone and DoF with Iroquois and Russia. Held back on RA until PT was built:- I now have 2 RA in place which will mature after I take Rationalism in next couple of turns (not sure if these will get 50% or 100% bonus?). I then plan to max out on RA and DoF as far as possible. I used my money so far on purchases (library, couple of archers) and swordsman upgrades (following iron trade with Iroquois). CS seem less attractive in the new patch, with money harder to find and a greater focus on happiness. Needing a fourth city, I settled Boston on the N rivermouth towards China (next to whales). In retrospect, I should have settled here earlier and bought up the furs before they were overrun by a CS (culture bomb at some point?). If I get Notre Dame, I might give the Minutemen an opportunity to show their stuff (Beijing would be very nice!), otherwise I hope for peaceful progress until Radar:- then I must try out a B17 on something (even if only a barbarian camp!).

Post-holiday notes:- Did get to complete! Plugged RAs as much as possible. Inevitable wars with Russia (who had Himeji Castle), initially ended in stalemate. Annoyingly, I teched so quickly from gunpowder to rifling that I only completed a single Minuteman! Built a B17 (in Armoury city) which very rapidly gained Logistics:- a very mean machine which, with a couple of infantry (later Mech Inf, including my upgraded Minuteman) and rocket artillery, progressively (i) captured Beijing (ii) captured Belgrade (for Alu) (iii) liberated two city states from Russia before (iv) turning on the Iroquois (who DOW as I completed Apollo). Used all 4 cities to build rocket parts, buying a couple of SS factories to speed things up. All-in-all, a useful trip through the revised SP trees and the new RA process. RAs with PT and Rationalism are very strong, especially if you lay out a preferred path on the Tech Tree.

Lost in 1918. I had the cockpit and the three boosters, but Harun Al Rashid had 35000 gold and 14 allied City States...so he won diplomatically thanks to the Russians building the UN for him (they had tech lead, he did not).

The Arabia play was nice, I took too long to explore and as a result didn't meet him until later, and then I didn't take his financial threat seriously enough.

Just finished the game today (though obviously well after the deadline). Finally finished in 1938. How the heck does everyone work so fast!?

Great scores!

Top Bottom