TSG49 After Action Report

Here's the start of my report. I really would like to learn how to do things better, so I'm just beginning with the start and asking for comments. I'll add the next phase soon (don't worry, more of the game will be in the next part, it's just that the start is so important).

I almost didn't play this game, thinking I would lose trying an Emperor game. But I had earlier decided to work on Culture wins, so decided to give it a try.

First, with a map type of "Mystery" I really don't know how many of you decided to settle in the middle of the first area. What if it turned out you were playing on an Island map? Anyway, that's what I was afraid of, so I settled on the hill next to the starting position, next to the sea, even though I knew it wasn't the best. Also I don't play standard speed much, so feel compelled to settle quickly.

As to starting tile. I still have questions as to the starting tile resources. If you settle on a hill you get an extra hammer, right? What about settling on an Ivory or a Wine. Can someone point out the answer please?

I started Scout/Monument/Scout. By the time the monument was done it was clear this was going to be a largish landmass, and I thought with the extra room of fewer AI civs and more City States, it would be important to explore. I'm glad I did, I got out to a great start, learning Archery, Calendar and Writing from the ruins. I'm sure some of you could have had a record beating time with that start, but I managed to just make it work.

I think I should have built an archer or two a bit earlier, as I had trouble with Barbarians. I never lost a unit, but had to retreat workers and later repair plundered tiles. The time/money I saved not getting the Archers earlier was more than lost to the barbs. My scouts also had some problems and had to rest and repair several times as I would run from one bow barb right into the range of another. Not sure if there is anything to be done about that, I did managed to explore the whole continent with my two scouts, eventually. Perhaps I should try and move onto hills as the first moved of my scout, as I then could retreat if unexpected barbs pop up. If I do it on the second move, I've got to sit and take at least one hit.

On turn 17 I took Tradition, thinking that the +3 Culture per turn was best. Turn 19 I popped a Culture hut and started Liberty.

Then I think I made a big mistake. After the second scout, I built a shrine, then because my lucky hut pops, went after the GL. I really don't know the timing of this game: When the GL will be built, when you should have your second city etc. Anyway, I did build the GL, but not being able to get a worker or settler out while doing so really cramped my start. I was planning to get a worker from stealing from a CS, but I always seemed unlucky, either no worker was there, or I had to run from barbs.

So on turn 28, I got the Citizenship Policy to get a worker. I was planning on buying a Settler, but the gold game in slower than planned. My Scouts were running into Barbs, and I was slow hooking up my Luxury items. I thought the Wheat and the Cows to the north were more important, and they were far from the Ivory and Wine. So, I'm building the GL, no Settler, and Barb problems. On turn 33 I started a Pantheon and took Fertility Rites. I didn't finish the Great Libary until turn 46, and really really needed an Archer to help with the Barbs.

So I start building an Archer. In retrospect I should have spent money on archers and not tried to save up for a Settler. The good part, by this time I had met Ramses, William and Genghis. Turn 48 I finally connected my Wine but no one had money. Best I could do was 83g/+3gpt. I probably shouldn't have taken that deal. I think I've learned how to put in values better during this game. On turn 43 I sold Ivory to Genghis for 145g/+3gpt. A bit better. I didn't finish making my Settler until turn 61.

Going to stop now and post a picture showing the situation on turn 62. There is a second worker I had taken from a Barb fort. It had belonged to a CS, I decided not to give it back, I needed it. You can see how much of the map I had explored in the mini-map. I'm good there. And As I said that starting location isn't the best, but lets assume that as a given. My Settler is on his way east to settle just east of the Ivory to pickup both the Spices and Crabs. One of my workers is on his way to the plundered tiles, the other starting a farm. I would appreciate any comments on my play up to now. Am I right on the lessons I've learned? I've started on the Oracle and have a policy to pick.

Spoiler :

Reading other reports, I see some really good player also got the GL. How did you do that and not cripple your start?

@ tommynt

:goodjob:

I won't ask questions, this is beyond imaginable. Pity you didn't do video on this one.

Game:Civ5 GOTM 49
Date submitted:2012-12-15
Reference number:27893
Your name: Streams
Game status:Science Loss
Game date: 1940AD
Turns played:361
Base score: 1053
Final score: 1053
Time played:7:39:00
Submitted save:Gustavus Adolphus_0361 AD-1941.Civ5Save
Renamed file:Streams_C504901.Civ5Save

I never really recovered from the happiness hits I was taking early on after I settled 4 cities quite fast. Willem beat me to almost every good cultural/science wonder, while Ramses to the religious ones.

After a short stint, I couldn't compete anymore with Greece for city states, so I barely ended up having only Manilla and Belgrade.

Did the religion, quite ahead of everyone else, but had no idea how to use it, and also forgot about it with 5000 faith running at some point. Ramses had one also and at some point managed to have one of my cities for a few turns.

Speaking of Ramses and Willem, these guys didn't love me at all, although it started okay with Willem. We were one big happy family, except for Genghis, but Ramses decided to go to war (would take peace only by taking my Petra city), so I moved up the units at the mountain pass. I was getting my archers and warriors hammers if they tried to pass, so I played defense, which was okay for a while, but the war just dragged on. Willem backstabed me after a while, and came with a better level than mine army, and also placed a city just above Belgrade so that he could have a better launching point. I couldn't really go into it without having my units hammered down, so I was waiting for this one also. With two wars going on for most of the time, I was cranking up units for a while, but I never really did get to leave the last position in military power, although it did feel like quite a vast army. Willem and Alex were sort of getting it on, but everyone else had been in a constant state of back and forth wars that didn't really solve anything. Neither Ramses, neither Willem would take peace without cities for most of the game (Ramses finally decided to let it be, but it was just because he had the other victory condition in the palm of his hand). I didn't pay attention a couple of times, so Ramses managed to get two cities on my side of the mountains. I razed them in the end, but it wasn't pretty.

When Ramses won (he was a bit slow to start, while Willem had a 10 turns advantage in tech at some point), I needed 5 more policies for the Utopia Project, so quite poorly.

- How did you use your UU's?
Didn't really, except for fun at some point.
- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
New to both, so didn't really get something out of them.
- How did diplomacy go with your neighbors?
Not goot at all, they were constantly on my back.
- What effect did fewer AI and more space have on your strategy?
Made me go with far too many cities, too fast.

So, it's back to the drawing board. Emperor was a bit too much for me in this moment in time, especially for the huge number of mistakes.

Great game indeed.
Science loss by Egypt.
Started trying to implement Tabernak's great Tradition strategy. Built five cities totally, Egypt and Greece became big, founding and conquering number of cities.
Managed to follow scientifically using bulbs from all these Great Scientists. Denied Greece's UN victory by gifting around 4 Great Engineers to a couple of his allied CS.
Lost the game by forgetting to pause Oxford University build 1 turn before completion, meaning that I chose a free cheap tech like Mobile Tactics instead of the last needed Particle Physics. That mistake cost me the game because Egypt launched exactly one round before me!
Congrats Civfanatics for this great game of the month

@tommytn

I was interested in how you got started, so I watched your video. I've discovered I'll never be as good as you. I consider repeatedly trading gpt for gold then declaring war to end the deal an exploit. I think I go by HOF rules. Your game is an example of fine play. I liked your micromanaging. You just take advantage of the AI in a way that I won't.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 49
Date submitted: 2012-12-15
Your name: methinkso
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 1946AD
Turns played: 367
Base score: 1014
Final score: 1014
Time played: 6:02:00

My game went terribly. Egypt was basically a runaway. He DoW'd me around the medieval/renaissance era and I was never able to push back or make peace and he outteched me vastly by the end. I think the war slowed all my progress down a lot, there were a lot of times later in the game where I couldn't put up the new culture buildings until well after I researched them. It was probably my weak early game strategy that really got me stuck in the hole though. This was my first time going for culture on a higher difficulty so I really didn't know what I was doing.

At least I was friends with everyone else for most of the game, so I leveraged the UA pretty well!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the intense ending. I had finally gotten nukes up and was able to start devastating Egypt's borders in the last ten turns or so. I was trying to push my way to nuke out his capital to at least slow down his last couple parts, but it was too little, too late. I couldn't get close enough to nuke his capital. I was also a mere 5 turns away from completing the utopia project as well. What a way to attempt to further my dreams of a utopia, by attempting to nuke the hell out of my rivals.

If the CivV AI ever writes a Divine Comedy, I have little doubt that they'd reserve the lowest level for our good friend Tommisito.

What's remarkable to me is the fact that no one else attempts to employ his strategy. I don't think that can be entirely attributed to ethics, especially since what he does does not break any identifiable rule, implied or otherwise.

"What if it turned out you were playing on an Island map?"

You need plenty of space for landmarks for a capital when you're going for cultural victory. You can always found a fishing village or two once you have some more cash to buy its buildings, but you can't a afford your cap to have to work water tiles.

Grats Tommynt. If you want to have expectional results, (not only in CIV) you need thing think out of the box. If you check all the better players win between t260-t290 used a very similar strategy. Tommynt now proved that playing agressive is the best way even if you go to cult victory.
Most people (including me) roleplaying a 'good guy' when going to cult or diplo win because it 'feels right'. But it does not mean that it is the most effective way.
And I think this is the developer's fault, you are loosing the feeling, that you play something 'real' and a 'simulation'.
Same way, when dropping a nuke to your own capital make your people happy :)

IMHO for cult and diplo wins a peaceful, protective gameplay should be the most effective.

If the CivV AI ever writes a Divine Comedy, I have little doubt that they'd reserve the lowest level for our good friend Tommisito.

What's remarkable to me is the fact that no one else attempts to employ his strategy. I don't think that can be entirely attributed to ethics, especially since what he does does not break any identifiable rule, implied or otherwise.

Maybe so. But its still 'cheating' whichever way you look at it, and probably why most (not all) do not employ these tactics. Most of the satisfaction is removed from winning any game when one cheats. I'd rather play honest and lose, knowing I'd done my best without circumventing the system otherwise.

I don't think this debate needs to be rekindled in this thread. If we can get back to After Action reports it would be nice. Thanks.

HR

Date submitted: 2012-12-18
Reference number: 27928
Your name: Gamewizard
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1890AD
Turns played: 315
Base score: 881
Final score: 1398

Finally finished this one! I had a long defensive war vs Egypt and Netherlands where I had to spend ALOT of cash to upgrade units. Mongolia was a military beast and took out many CS. I missed a bunch of key wonders like Alhambra and Chichenitza. Planted about 10 GA in the capital. I went rationalism this time instead of piety. This allowed me to build SOH with about 4 policies to go. This would have been a fun domination game.

Date submitted: 2012-12-19
Reference number: 27937
Your name: Browd
Game date: 1936AD
Turns played: 356
Base score: 748
Final score: 1053
Time played: 5:28:00
Did NOT like this game, but it was all my fault--did so many things wrong. Played this game yesterday (Tuesday) evening--all I can say is, I've never been able to get the hang of Tuesdays.

And, for all those who question if you can still win if you get few if any wonders, well, here you are. I got GMD and Sistine in my capital, Petra in my Petra city (yes, my Petra city built Petra--just Petra--plus the Utopia Project) and Neuschwanstein in another city when it no longer mattered. Biggest mistakes were abstaining from war (had DOFs with everyone except Genghis for the entire game, which helped with GA generation -- Eqypt did backstab me and then DOW me when I finished my 5th policy tree--nice to see the AI try to stop me from winning) and emphasizing culture too early, which meant I got just far enough behind in science that William, who was also going for a culture victory (he was one policy behind me at the end), beat me to every wonder I was building (except CI and Pisa--Arabia got those). Most went when I was within 1-4 turns of completion. I even used the Liberty GE to rush CR, and he beat me to it on that very turn (almost rage quit, but just laughed instead). Attached is a Global Politics screenshot (as you can see to the left of the Global Politics window, Genghis sniped my capital 2 turns before the finish, so Sistine and GMD appear in his column).

I may replay this, after I distract myself with something else--anything else.

Attachments

• Global Politics.jpg
    Global Politics.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 133
Date submitted: 2012-12-20
Reference number: 27949
Your name: spirit_
Game date: 1886AD
Turns played: 313
Base score: 1711
Final score: 2759
Time played: 11:53:00
Submitted save: TSG49_CultureVictory_turn313.Civ5Save
Renamed file: spirit__C504901.Civ5Save

Long game. First culture victory on G&K and it seems like it takes much longer than vanilla. I think going GL+NC first was a big mistake. Got sort of bored towards the end and was too lazy to micro.

Some of us weren't here for the debate to which you refer, but it is strange that if there is a debate that Tommy is evidently the only one on his side. It is an interesting fact revealed by this thread, and the last several, that he's playing a different game than the rest. One can draw one's own conclusions about what that means, but I see no obvious ones.

I can't imagine that it would be terribly difficult to write a mod that keeps GPT obligations in place with or without war declarations. Or one where the AI pays the player gold commensurate with the actual value (to the AI) of the resources it buys.

Some of us weren't here for the debate to which you refer, but it is strange that if there is a debate that Tommy is evidently the only one on his side. It is an interesting fact revealed by this thread, and the last several, that he's playing a different game than the rest. One can draw one's own conclusions about what that means, but I see no obvious ones.

I can't imagine that it would be terribly difficult to write a mod that keeps GPT obligations in place with or without war declarations. Or one where the AI pays the player gold commensurate with the actual value (to the AI) of the resources it buys.

I don't know if Tommy is just a voice in the wilderness; some say what he's doing isn't wrong they just choose not to do it themselves. I am in this camp; I'm pretty lazy generally and about the game anyway. That's why I'm not a good player. I could be better if I put my mind to it but I don't want to. That includes, but is not limited to, things like using the AIs naivety against it.

Gotta do a bit before xmas bragging here:

if you really think me being 30 turns faster as all others is just down togetting few gold from ai - you r just TOTALY CLUELESS.

I didnt get any gold from ais in GOTM50, and still you wont get anywhere close to my winning time - and you know why? Because you and 99% of other players just dont have game knowledge or are to lazy or not able to mirco.

It s like a chess player who thinks vs a chess player who just moves his figures some random way.

Staying with chess example:
Choosing not to use gameplay options available, is like choosing not to use the option of queen to move sideways, sure you can play this way but accusing some1 else of doing it is just ridic.

D be more fun around here if more people d step up their game, to have real comparisons

Top Bottom