TSG53 After Action Thread

fairly fast finish, considering that at some point after finishing tradition and opening liberty, I decided to get to 20 more resting points from CS in patronage. Yes with pledges to protect it gave me a permafriend with most of them most of the time, but I did not get the liberty and piety policy price reductions in time and had a stretch of few policies with 25 turn finish times.

Since I was doing four city tradition opening, that liberty reduction would have been huge. I settled next to sinai second, then north on a river for only one gold and one incense, low production but I thought fast growth and garden would compensate, and last one quite late, post NC, surrounded by all that copper. When I had the cash I bought all of the copper at once as I knew it would pisss Cathy off. It was a fortunate spot as it gave me two aluminiums later.

Only missed out on terra-cotta, got the rest, starting with GL which I used to get amphitheater in cap. NC very late, 80-90s or so. I scouted extensively, since AI was broke and easily tossed in OB in trade deals. Did plenty of quests, and only Ghandi kept flipping Milan. so eventually I allied them and DoWed Gandi and went after him with my legions turned into muskets and some XBs. And he proceeded to take most of them out. I had to retreat and tech and upgrade to rifles before finally wiping him out just before game ended. I also Dowed Cathy once she sent a second prophet into my lands and I needed my fence to deal with India. Then proceeded to use captured prophets to turn my cap into a buddhist city for the pagoda and hermitage bonus, which more then offset loss of extra cult from incense. I let Gandi do it once too, to get a mosque, forgetting I already had one there from the GMoD. The production bonus came in handy though, and when the city lost all religions in transition I had a missionary handy to turn it catholic again. I could not settle her prophets as they were both slightly used ;(

Started freedom on t174, finished 204. Cult peaked at 1390. Used Oxford to get industrial, but didn't tech for archeology till later. I think that was huge. Also messed up a 7 turn prebuilt three times. first deciding to make it into a 6 turn one, after already prebuilding the first item( walls) then, counted wrong, and finally assumed I had an arsenal (step four) but not actually prebuilding it. Despite having two 750 hammer wonders stacked , My utopia came in at 7 turns, which I shaved to 6 by chopping three forests.

I am curious what a two city or OCC would have been like. The cap setup was made for OCC, only lacking aluminum. Congratulations on 250 and below finishes guys.

I got to ask, did you fill your university slots until industrial? I didn't, going for growth instead and I am thinking it might have been a mistake, what's your opinion?

Spoiler :

Attachments

• gotm53.jpg
    gotm53.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 416
Started freedom on t174, finished 204. Cult peaked at 1390. Used Oxford to get industrial, but didn't tech for archeology till later. I think that was huge. Also messed up a 7 turn prebuilt three times. first deciding to make it into a 6 turn one, after already prebuilding the first item( walls) then, counted wrong, and finally assumed I had an arsenal (step four) but not actually prebuilding it. Despite having two 750 hammer wonders stacked , My utopia came in at 7 turns, which I shaved to 6 by chopping three forests.

I am curious what a two city or OCC would have been like. The cap setup was made for OCC, only lacking aluminum. Congratulations on 250 and below finishes guys.

I got to ask, did you fill your university slots until industrial? I didn't, going for growth instead and I am thinking it might have been a mistake, what's your opinion?

It seems that you did not focus on science during the game but still had 255 finish... I think that culture games are really interesting, as there are many ways to play and there is no single best one (at least out of my knowledge).

I think I filled uni slots for cap and maybe some more for expos. getting upper techs (acoustics, archeology, radio) quickly is really important in my opinion, as unlike science higher pop does not necessarily lead to higher cpt, as cpt has upper limit. I believe that getting those limits earlier is crucial.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 53
Date submitted: 2013-02-05
Reference number: 28254
Your name: Unresolved
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1852AD
Turns played: 296
Base score: 1435
Final score: 2432
Time played: 3:13:00
Submitted save: Boudicca_0296 AD-1852.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Unresolved_C505301.Civ5Save

Like many other people in this thread, I just can't seem to get good culture times. It was still my fastest CV though :).

I started off with a 2-city NC strategy and then expanded to four cities. I had NC done around turn 60 and got my research up and running. Since this was Prince, I basically spammed wonders the whole game. I got the Angkor Wat in the mid 200's I think :p. I skipped doing a GL->Philosophy slingshot though since I felt my production was too low to make it effective. That production problem pretty much stayed with me throughout the whole game as my capital was only making around 110 hammers per turn at the end. my other cities were hovering around 50, making it painful to build anything.

My economy was strong and I was able to rush-buy everything from the middle of the game on-wards. I had very consistent trading partners who bought everything from me(including horses) until the end of the game.

I took India's capital at turn 114 and was going to take out Suleiman and possibly Washington, but I was too lazy. But since I didn't war with anyone except India, I never had to upgrade my CB's or warriors :p.

I managed to maintain a constant golden age from turn 150ish to 296+(with the exception of a few turns in the middle) while settling a few more artists in the mean time. I peaked at 982 CPT and I'm wondering how people reach values of 1300+ CPT. I probably could have gotten a T290 win if I had pre-built better. As it was, I only had a 200 hammer overflow because I didn't start early enough. And I didn't have a GE to pre-build with, so my pre-building strategy went to hell.

On an unrelated note, which social policy tree do you need to invest in to buy GE's with faith? Is it Order?

Attachments

• 2013-02-05_00001.jpg
    2013-02-05_00001.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 137
Date submitted: 2013-02-06
Reference number: 28262
Your name: Apocalypse105
Game date: 1935AD
Turns played: 355
Base score: 1078
Final score: 1518
Time played: 3:16:00
Submitted save: game of the monthTSG53.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Apocalypse105_C505301.Civ5Save

Well I just played as i would play on emperor or immortal kinda resulted into a slow finish

Because this was only prince i could easy puppet everything and have 2 cities but I just played like it was emperor .

Kinda wierd al those early finish dates... No way you could do that on higher difficulties

Date submitted: 2013-02-05
Reference number: 28254
Your name: Unresolved
Game date: 1852AD
Turns played: 296
Base score: 1435
Final score: 2432
Time played: 3:13:00
Submitted save: Boudicca_0296 AD-1852.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Unresolved_C505301.Civ5Save

Like many other people in this thread, I just can't seem to get good culture times. It was still my fastest CV though :).

I started off with a 2-city NC strategy and then expanded to four cities. I had NC done around turn 60 and got my research up and running. Since this was Prince, I basically spammed wonders the whole game. I got the Angkor Wat in the mid 200's I think :p. I skipped doing a GL->Philosophy slingshot though since I felt my production was too low to make it effective. That production problem pretty much stayed with me throughout the whole game as my capital was only making around 110 hammers per turn at the end. my other cities were hovering around 50, making it painful to build anything.

My economy was strong and I was able to rush-buy everything from the middle of the game on-wards. I had very consistent trading partners who bought everything from me(including horses) until the end of the game.

I took India's capital at turn 114 and was going to take out Suleiman and possibly Washington, but I was too lazy. But since I didn't war with anyone except India, I never had to upgrade my CB's or warriors :p.

I managed to maintain a constant golden age from turn 150ish to 296+(with the exception of a few turns in the middle) while settling a few more artists in the mean time. I peaked at 982 CPT and I'm wondering how people reach values of 1300+ CPT. I probably could have gotten a T290 win if I had pre-built better. As it was, I only had a 200 hammer overflow because I didn't start early enough. And I didn't have a GE to pre-build with, so my pre-building strategy went to hell.

On an unrelated note, which social policy tree do you need to invest in to buy GE's with faith? Is it Order?

You're military is shockingly weak I gues i'm used to actualy have a good military because of the Ai dowing me on the verry last turns before i compeltled the utopia

i've had tanks infantry and fighters to defend my land come and get me hiawatha.

Anyone else had problems with hiawatha running awaaaaaaaaaaay Conquering alexander and then catherine

At least alexander wasn't a problem

Ehhh, I've only had serious problems with DoW's at the end of the game in immortal. Anything below that and I barely even have a military by mid-game if I'm not conquering.

He was dominant in my game too, and would have been a runaway if Cathy didn't catch him with his pants down early. He was beating up on Alex and she took advantage to take his city and was on the way to grab another before he got peace. She was number two after that for a while. After that he kept at Alex from time to time eventually taking him out and then turned on Cathy. Took her 2nd , his lost and cap and got another 2 or 3 in peace deal.

To answer your question unresolved I had 1390 culture from 4 cities mostly bc I planted 14 GAs, and had all cult building in most of my cities as I switched religions few times. I had river cities with gardens, and I think all of them kicked out a GA twice. And near permanent GA for lose to 150 turns.

Ah, okay, it was the GA settling. I was only able to plant 7 GA's I think. I also managed to hold 150 turns of golden ages, but they started later than you. How did you get so many GA's? I also build the National Epic, gardens, and culture buildings. I think getting great people is also an issue for my science games.

Fill the artists spots asap, especially cathedral, pick GA as free GP from LToP. Louvre, and three faith purchases. Delayed louvre till very end, after all my cities made 2nd GA. You cant see them in screen as I have settled most on hills and converted to mines as soon as I knew I will still complete last SP in 6 turns.

Hmm, delaying the Louvre might work. I'm just afraid that a civ will beat me to it on Immortal.

You can keep checking with your spies as you will be ahead on tech and have extra one, I had it prebuilt most of the way just in case. And by cult buildings I meant pagodas, mosques, cathedrals and monasteries. All regular cult buildings bought with cash, so again more turns to work the GA slots.

Yeah, I had cathedrals, but no pagodas or monasteries. I always rush-buy if I have the money.

T280, 3 cities tradition start, started with monument - worker - GL - NC, it seems to be an error. Should've built granary before GL to get capital grow.

Can someone help me please: is Liberty policy which reduces policy cost tax from cities retroactive?

Depends on what you mean by Retroactive. It won't refund the higher culture you've already paid, if that's what you're asking.

Let's say your next policy would cost 100 culture with 1 city, and you have 3 cities, it would cost 130 (100 base + 15% for each city). Let's pretend you just finished the Oracle and you take Representation (the policy that cuts it from 15% to 10%), your next policy would cost 120 (100 base + 10% for each city). If, before you completed the Oracle, you settled a fourth city, your next policy would cost 145. If you finished Oracle after settling that fourth city, your next policy would drop down to 130. If you had settled that fourth city after completing the Oracle, your next policy would still be 130.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Hi everyone, this is my first GOTM attempt. It wasn't a succesful game but i'll get better, hopefully. Loved the community here, all the guides, strategies and game discussions were what i was looking for! I'm a newbie Civ player and not even remotely good as anyone posted here. That's why i attached my end-game screenshot, so that hopefully someone could point out some obvious mistakes.

Brief info: Unlocked all liberty policies, then completed piety, tradition, commerce and order branches b/c they seemed relevant for collecting more culture. At some point Hiawatha went full berserk and conquered Greece, Russia, Sweden and America while i was busy trying to max my culture output.

In the end i got defeated by Hiawatha (science victory) at t420 (was 2 policies short for Utopia Project). It was a really long game. I couldn't increase my cpt more than ~500 and i wonder how did you guys achieve around 1000 cpt?

Attachments

• 2013-02-10_00003.jpg
    2013-02-10_00003.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 185
Welcome to CFC and GotM!

Don't fret, the Civ game and community are large but the learning curve gets much better with the help of these forums. You'll be 100+ turns faster in no time. Thanks for giving us a try and I hope you enjoy these GotMs. Next one is on for Feb. 15th and will be at an easier difficulty so it should provide some great practice for you.

Top Bottom