1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG55 After Action Report thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by Hammer Rabbi, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Araf

Araf Chieftain

My second GotM attempt, first victory. =)

Finished at t220, it was simply moving from one capital to another, wasn't too difficult to play. But i could have finished waay earlier if i could research astronomy faster and move my units more systematically.

Attached Files:

2. Suntechnique

Suntechnique Chieftain

165 turns.

Went Liberty, used finisher for Admiral to spy for best landing zones (didn't rly help, failed moving to Persia from Sweden through all these swamps). Got bug with autoannexed (no puppet popup) Delhi which postponed late National College even more :(
    In Religion took 100g for converted city == about 1600 gold for upgrades (should've used them to buy Universities)

Payed too much attention to unit producing and too low to science.

Got way more units then required to conquer second continent.

3. Dan4GS

Dan4GS Chieftain

Game: Civ5 GOTM 55
    Date submitted: 2013-03-15
    Your name: Dan4GS
    Game status: Domination Victory
    Game date: 1460AD
    Turns played: 206
    Base score: 1748
    Final score: 4263
    Time played: 6:20:00

Well I made the mistake of playing this like a Pangea so completely disregarded science and went full army and got 4 cities up quick. Conquered my whole continent real quick but had to build some infrastructure to get navigation, really slowing me down.

Oh well, was a fun and easy victory, and I don't usually play for conquest.

4. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Prince

I had really bad luck with CS quests this game. those quests for Wonders that I;m not going to build bug me the most! :)
    I did a replay and was kind of surprised how much of a difference good luck on the CS quests make. but it all adds up: the extra pop for science, the extra culture, the extra units. the replay was 20 turns faster! of course map knowledge helps too. also helps a lot if Sweden takes out the Austrian cap for you :)
    Fun game HR, thanks!
    Arnold_T

5. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Congrats on your first win and best of luck in future. :)

6. glory7

glory7 King

impressive that you could do t101, even though it was replay - when did you hit education and astro?

7. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Prince

edu t78, astro t90.

had less than average luck with the ruins, but got extremely lucky with CS quests (and WLTK too).
    I had all CSs on the starting continent at allied or friend status quite early, like turn fity-something. I'm finding 90% of the time usually the luck factors balance out, but maybe 5% of the time in any given game it can swing wildly one way or the other. like in this replay, I don't remember exactly how it happened, but I got something like take out a barb camp and it pleases two CSs, one of which has a lux that pleases some other CS I'm not even near, then another distant CS wants me to build the GL which I'm just about done building, which has a lux that give my cap WLTK and then take out another barb camp that has lux that pleases the only remaining CS. Geez! kinda makes it too easy :)

Yes building scouts and good scouting enables you to get these lucky opportunities, but I've done replays of other games (like TSG46) where, even with map knowledge, good scouting just isn't enough to recreate a lucky first play-through. you just don't get the right CS quests and WLTK requests. Plus in this tsg55 there are things happening on the other continent which you really have no control over. On this replay I was surprised that Sweden took out the Austrian capital (before I even knew who they were).

8. glory7

glory7 King

thank you for detailed explanations. I agree that WLTKD and CS quests are kinda random and luck factor certainly plays. Edu 78 is quite early though - did you burn liberty GS for edu? otherwise it's hard to explain 12 turns gap btwn edu and astro too. Also, how many cities did you build?

9. Mistwraithe

Mistwraithe Chieftain

I was very late at this but wanted to try it anyway because I saw Glory7's 107 finish and wanted to see how close I could get. However I deliberately cheated by doing a trial run to find out where the two natural wonders were, basically because I saw Glory7 found them both early and I wanted to put myself in the same position.

The result was a turn 131 finish. First time I've played in a 'nasty' way and bossed the AI around, was surprised how eager they were to give me all their money for peace (and of course I also took their money before I declared war when possible).

Quite a few mistakes, was too slow finishing off my continent (particularly as my capital finished a great scientist in time to finish Astronomy 8 turns earlier than I expected) and consequently slow to travel overseas. I also didn't get my great admiral from Liberty early enough to scout out all 3 overseas capitals. I should have allocated some money towards making the cultural CS allies, then I might even have been able to get admiral from Commerce and use Liberty finisher for a different great person? Lastly I probably overbuilt my forces before the final assaults, Persia was my toughest opponent but even so I could have taken it with less troops.

Even if I got all the above right though I think I would still have been in the 110-120 turn range... 107 first time is amazing. And Arnold's 101 replay is pretty impressive too.

10. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Prince

might not have been edu t78 and astro t90 exactly. I estimated from looking at a t80 save file.
    At t80 I was two turns into researching Compass, and two turns away from finishing it. the GS from Liberty was burned to get Edu though so some overflow research might be in there. maybe it was t79 or t80 edu. At t80 the tech tree also showed Astro needed 8 turns of research after Compass was done, so that's how I estimated t90 for Astro, but now that I think about it I may have got there earlier (t89?) due to pop and research growth. At t80 I was pumping out 109 beakers/turn with two Universities. I settled four cities, but I think the fourth one by Potosi was unnecessary and was only generating 1 beaker/turn at t80. First city settled in place. second city on the river between all the Truffles. third city by Kalaish. I think more cities after that should just be emenies caps.