• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Turn 167

We can use cannons (and MDI) to attack Swampland if we want. The downside is the cannons will be vulnerable to recapture. On the other hand, the tile they will be on will also have 6 workers, so we may want to defend that tile anyway.

I'll be railroading while I wait for a response...

6 Cavalry dead – that's good! Just a little under the RNG prediction. :clap:

And it only took us 26 Cavalry to get the job done! (28 predicted!)

I'd say this war is off to an auspicious start!
:salute:

Just saw your post Chamnix –

Now, the point of using MDI and Cannons on Swampland is to save the Cavalry for further incursions, correct?

I like the idea. I don't mind if we lose a few cannons… we'll have plenty if we need them, and they won't really help KISS that much against us… since we'll be raising most of their towns.

Will you also be taking that Mountain fortress I assume?
We should have plenty of cannons to bomb them down to 1 hp there also.

That is the point exactly - use cavalry where they are needed and MDI where they are actually useful.

I actually was planning on ignoring that fortress. That pikeman defends as 8.25(!), and I thought it was not worth wasting units on him. There is only a pike and 5 workers there, so they can't do any harm to us - I thought we'd take him down later.

I'm ok with leaving the Pike... but if we have cannons and MedInfs not used in the assult on Swampland, then it might be worth bombing him with the cannons we've got left... if you can get him down to 1 or 2 Hps, then I think it might be worth a couple MedInfs to wipe him out.

He's not a threat... but he will give KISS line-of-sight behind our lines.
Not a huge deal... but if we've got the cannons and MedInfs just lying around... it could be worth a shot?

Yeah - we'll see what we have left to play with after our primary objectives are accomplished.

Send 18 workers to railroad the tile north of Olympus Camp.
Send 6 workers to railroad the spice tile SE of Senilityville.
Send 6 workers to railroad the coal tile NW of Senilityville.

Battle of Swampland:

Cool cannon bombs Swampland – miss.
Cool cannon bombs Swampland – miss.
Cool cannon bombs Swampland – destroys the walls of Swampland!
Cannon bombs Swampland – 4/4 musket to ¾.
Cannon bombs Swampland – ¾ musket to 2/4.
Cannon bombs Swampland – 2/4 musket to ¼.
4/4 MDI vs. ¼ musket -> 4/4 MDI, musket dead.

MIA capture Swampland and liberates 16 gold.

Pictures next…

A little bad news - thanks to KISS' crappy road system, we cannot reach Dunderhead unless we

Kill the units on the barricade, and
Still have enough cannons to destroy the barricade, and
The marsh north of the barricade is roaded.

I guess we will continue with other towns and see if we can afford to break through there.

Battle of Fortress of Stupidity:

4/4 cavalry vs. 4/4 cavalry -> KISS cav ¾, MIA cav dead.
4/4 cav vs. ¾ cav -> MIA cav ¾, KISS cav dead.

MIA captures the Fortress of Stupidity and liberates 17 gold.

Back after helping an elderly friend with some internet issues...

Looks like the war is going well - even though we have discovered why they built the barricade.

I'm not sure I understand why - I can't believe they were worried about Dunderhead but not all these other towns.

“Battle” of Cretinograph:

4/4 cavalry walks into the undefended town of Cretinograph and liberates 25 gold.

Hmm – bit of an ugly RNG roll there for the first attack on Fortress of Stupidity.
But it worked out in the end :)

Just a comment on the barricade – it'd be nice if we didn't leave 2 Cavalry that close for a counter-attack/capture run on our workers.

It's certainly not as important as taking the other towns… but it is an appealing target in my book. (and it makes sense that there'd be a road North of that tile… but who knows?)

I think we should leave the barricade.

One other thought though - what are the chances that the GS on battleisle will take Eureka Stockade this turn? Do we have any buildings there that we might lose?

“Battle” of Village D’Idiota:

4/4 cavalry walks into the undefended town of Village D’Idiota and liberates 26 gold.

Time to pause and get my bearings. We have 16 cavalry who haven’t used an attack yet. Jungle Boogie is undefended and can be autorazed anytime, but there are not enough roads there, so I don’t think we can reach Saltpeter Mountain this turn unless we railroad one more tile.

Wilde Side is still a target which could take 3-4 cavs (or could take 1).

Cyprus Creek has KISS’ incense and may be undefended, but it has walls, so who knows.

DuMass is a target if we railroad one more tile, or if we smash the barricade, and there is a road north.

Dunderhead is a target if we smash the barricade, and there is a road north.

Effing Whomping Rower is reachable, but too well defended for our remaining troops, IMO.

If we can reach Saltpeter Mountain this turn I think it is worth it. We would potentially keep KISS from rushing more muskets.

What is the appeal of Dunderhead? Why do we want to break the barricade so badly? Why not skip the barricade, save some cavs and take Dunderhead next turn? (I apologize if I'm slowing you down by asking questions...you clearly know what you're doing)

That's a tough call.

I'll give my opinion… (of course!)

Taking out KISS's incense is pretty appealing… we can hurt their war effort by cutting off their access to luxuries… although, with the aid from Dnuts… it probably won't do any good till we can also take out their dyes.

Defense Minister Gbno1fan outvotes me – but I'd still like to remove the 2 KISS cavalry in the baracade… I mean, Cavalry defend at 3 and attack at 6 – I'd much rather catch them when WE are the ones attacking.
(and getting dunderhead this turn isn't mission-critical in my book either... I just want to kill as many KISS cavalry as possible!)

Defense Minister Gbno1fan outvotes me – but I'd still like to remove the 2 KISS cavalry in the baracade… I mean, Cavalry defend at 3 and attack at 6 – I'd much rather catch them when WE are the ones attacking.
(and getting dunderhead this turn isn't mission-critical in my book either... I just want to kill as many KISS cavalry as possible!)
While I agree that we should kill as many KISS cavs as possible, how many of our own cavs would it take to take down that pikeman who is defending so well?

I've stopped temporarily because I don't know what the best thing is right now. Other opinions (and questions) are definitely welcome.

I just don't see a way to reach Saltpeter Mountain this turn. When we autoraze Jungle Boogie, the road on that tile is destroyed, and I don't see other roads on the jungle tiles.

Dunderhead is a size 12 first ring town. It is very productive for KISS, and it would be incredibly demoralizing to them to lose it. Imagine if we got the save, and Black Hole was destroyed - that's essentially what Dunderhead is to KISS.

I'm not sure if it's worth fighting through the barricade. We need to save some cannons for destroying the barricade itself after the units are gone. That musket defends with a 9, and even the cavs are 6.75 defense there. Does anybody know the probability of a cannon destroying a terrain improvement? We could just suicide many MDI at it if we wanted to and save the cavs, but it will take many MDI to break it.

I guess I will take Cypress Creek and Wilde Side and see what remains then. Sound OK?

Edit - X-posted with you both, but I think my post is still relevant...

Top Bottom